Is Cuellar a good player?

vivaashleyyoung

Is Cuellar good enough?  

365 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cuellar good enough?

• Yes
    • No

He showed on Saturday what a good CB he is playing alongside another experienced good CB and with two full backs either side and a strong and energetic CM'er in front of him.

It was always going to take him tie to settle in to the Premier League and with an inexperienced partner, in Davies (or poor partner in Knight), a right back playing left back and a CM'er playing RB with no cover in front of him typically for the last 30 minutes of the game this was always going to be a difficult ask!!

He'd walk into the starting lineup of any of these Premiership teams:

Blackburn

Birmingham

Bolton

Burnley

Fulham

Hull

Portsmouth

Sunderland

Stoke

Wigan

West Ham

Wolverhampton

And Tottenham as he is actually injury free compared to what they have.

And Manure at the moment

He is and will be very very good with either Dunne or Collins as he takes the sweeping up after the "attack the ball" CB does their bit and both Dunne and Collins will do this. He isn't the "thou shalt not pass" CB and this is where the Davies / Cuellar pairing fell down

Useful 2nd or 3rd choice right back. Very good central defender - as people above are saying perfectly good cover for an out of form, injured or suspended Collins or Dunne. Good enough for a regular place but may have a bit of a job shifting Collins or Dunne,

Cuellar was dreadful in the air leading up to Boltons goal on Saturday - beaten really easily for the flick on to Cahill in our box - but other than that he was good. Dont know if he's a bit similar to Knight in that he plays basically well for 85 mins but always has a horrendous error up his sleeve.

Could not understand how he managed to hold on to the right back spot for so long, surely L.Young gives us more pace, tenacity and balance down that side.

I suppose there is no reason why he shouldnt play the next game keeping his place at centre back, apart from the fact I think Collins is better.

Jury still out for me, a good 3rd or 4th option, we have better who should be in front of him in all back 4 positions.

He'd walk into the starting lineup of any of these Premiership teams:

Blackburn

Birmingham

Bolton

Burnley

Fulham

Hull

Portsmouth

Sunderland

Stoke

Wigan

West Ham

Wolverhampton

And Tottenham as he is actually injury free compared to what they have.

I'd add Everton. Cuellar > Distin for me, especially this season, Distin's been poor.

• 3 weeks later...

Even when there were a few doubters doubting him last season, I always kept my patience with him and knew he'd turn out to be the defender he has been this season so far. He was MOTM easily today and he seems to be getting better and better each game as it comes... it's also refreshing to know we can count on him at RB if we don't have anybody available to play there or if MON chooses him over Beye or L.Young, but I'd like to see him stay at CB and progress even further.

Â