The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 01/10/2021 at 22:12, mikeyp102 said:

Free Guy is really fun, and clever concept. And the odd little poke at Marvel and Star Wars as all owned by the same group. 
Ryan Reynolds is Ryan Reynolds, but he is so good at doing it.

I thought it was entertaining, but oh so very stupid, if you know anything about how anything works, at all.

The marvel and star wars shite seemed like adsvertising more than a "poke".  It was alright. Bit of a mediocre mashup of the Truman Show and Ready Player One. 

Probably wasn't helped that I've read more than one book with the premise "NPC gains realisation they're a character and not a real person" so it didn't even have the "clever concept" brownie points from me.

Finally got around to watching Army of the Dead on Netflix last night. Very solid zombie movie and I think they are making a sequel.Was helped by having a very nice looking female in it also, Ella Purnell😍

Is Brad Pitt eyeing 21-yr-old Ella Purnell, who played a young Angelina  Jolie in 'Maleficent'? | Ella Purnell| arts| culture and entertainment

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Finally got around to watching Army of the Dead on Netflix last night. Very solid zombie movie and I think they are making a sequel.Was helped by having a very nice looking female in it also, Ella Purnell😍

Is Brad Pitt eyeing 21-yr-old Ella Purnell, who played a young Angelina  Jolie in 'Maleficent'? | Ella Purnell| arts| culture and entertainment

Yeah, I enjoyed it more than most, its not perfect but it entertained my pants off me. Spin off prequel called army of thieves revolving around safe cracker Ludwig  (AOTD's best character for me) drops this month on netflix, should be a blast.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Shot Caller was surprisingly ok! 

A good cast and overall a decent prison flick. 

I liked it! 

You've probably seen it but if not, Brawl in Cell Block 99, is a good prison flick as well. 

• Like 2

There's a really good prison flick with a young Sean Penn called Bad Boys that I haven't seen for 20 years and never seems to be on anywhere. It's call Bad Boys which means every two weeks I see Bad Boys on a TV schedule and have to go through the Will Smith disappointment one more time.

Anyway, I recommend.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's a really good prison flick with a young Sean Penn called Bad Boys that I haven't seen for 20 years and never seems to be on anywhere. It's call Bad Boys which means every two weeks I see Bad Boys on a TV schedule and have to go through the Will Smith disappointment one more time.

Anyway, I recommend.

Got a VHS copy of that one knocking about somewhere in the loft. The scene where a  young Clancy Brown as the prison 'daddy' adds a few more 'greens' to Penns plate is always one I remember 🤮

• Like 2

Been on a Phantasm kick since yesterday; had forgotten how good and genuinely creepy these movies could be. Plan on watching the fourth one when get home later.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 1

Badboys was a great film, Penn is or should be regarded as one of the great American actors of the last 40 years, doesn't work enough for my money, super talent.

While we're on prison flicks, anyone remember a low budget prison trilogy called Penitentiary  from the 70/80s, was quite brutal, x rated, probably awful now but they were quite entertaining back in the day.

Penitentiary

A hitchhiker named Martel Gordone gets in a fight with two bikers over a prostitute, and one of the bikers is killed. Gordone is arrested and sent to prison, where he joins the prison's boxing team in an effort to secure an early parole and to establish his dominance over the prison's toughest gang.

31 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Badboys was a great film, Penn is or should be regarded as one of the great American actors of the last 40 years, doesn't work enough for my money, super talent.

While we're on prison flicks, anyone remember a low budget prison trilogy called Penitentiary  from the 70/80s, was quite brutal, x rated, probably awful now but they were quite entertaining back in the day.

Penitentiary

Lock Up takes some beating as a prison flick 

• Like 1

Talking prison flicks, I’ve always enjoyed watching the Shawshank Redemption. Gives you everything that film.

A guilty pleasure and I always watch if it’s on is Escape from Alcatraz.  I do like a Clint Eastwood film though. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yeah I quite like that too, Eclipse - big old boy actor Frank McCrae passed away this year, hardly mentioned anywhere.

‘You sure do block a lot of sunlight’ 

RIP Big Fella

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Talking prison flicks, I’ve always enjoyed watching the Shawshank Redemption. Gives you everything that film.

A guilty pleasure and I always watch if it’s on is Escape from Alcatraz.  I do like a Clint Eastwood film though. 

Papillon

McQueen and Hoffman, outstanding.

• Like 1

Â