The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Watched the new Bond film last night, I really rated it. I’m not a James Bond super fan, in fact this is the first Daniel Craig Bond film I’ve seen! But I enjoyed it, and might watch the others now.

I have read a lot of bad reviews though, I’m sure some people just want to criticise to try to show how clever they are. When really they come across as clearings in the woods. 

We all see things differently though. 

People are allowed to not like things. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

People are allowed to not like things. 

That’s true, and I’m not saying they aren’t. It was more the reviews that went to town about the film being “woke” that annoyed me. Plenty of people showing their racist side on IMDB. 

10 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

That’s true, and I’m not saying they aren’t. It was more the reviews that went to town about the film being “woke” that annoyed me. Plenty of people showing their racist side on IMDB. 

Ah, for sure. IME there's a lot of very right-wing types writing reviews on IMDb, dunno why. Maybe younger people have moved on to other sites perhaps.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2021 at 18:28, Designer1 said:

I thought it was superb (and I'm a big fan of the original) I loved what they did with the mythos behind the character. There's also a certain shot in it that I would have stood up and applauded in the cinema if I hadn't looked like a word removed.

Genuinely cannot wait to watch it again and it's a first day Blu ray purchase for me.

Each to their own eh?

Yep I thought it was far superior to the original

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I'm super excited for Dune.

I first read Dune when i was a teenager in the 90s, since then i have probably read Dune (the main book) 10+ times over the years, and i have also read the full Frank Herbert book series (Dune through to Chapterhouse), and overall, i would say its the book series that had the biggest impact on me as a young teenager.

Having Villeneuve do his thing with it is so exciting, i have seen that the reviews have mostly been draw dropping, and to finally see my favourite book series put in to a proper, jaw dropping movie (the 80s film was bleh imo), has made me decide to go to the cinema for the first time in 15 years lol.

Anyone else looking forward to Dune?

Already booked my ticket for the "Unlimited" screening on the 18th. Can't wait. Villeneuve is a genius

• Like 1

I had a bit of a binge over the weekend on films. Knocking some off my watch list.

The Guilty - new one on Netflix with Jake Gyllenhall. It's alright, not as good as the trailer makes you think it is. Goes a bit stupid towards the end.

Dead Man's Shoes - FINALLY got round to watching this. It's been on my list for years. Really good. Shane Meadows is always always great. Glad I finally got round to it

Annihilation - I seem to remember this getting a slating when it was released but **** me I thought it was really really good. Goes a bit mental at the end which maybe takes away from it, but overall I loved it. But I'm a sucker for those kind of films so maybe I'm biased

Harold and Kumar - ok this wasn't on my list. I just wanted a stupid film to watch.

Roma - Utterly superb.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

We watched Luca (Disney Pixar) with the kids at the weekend, comfortably the worst Disney Pixar film ever made. Really disappointing.

On balance I would probably agree but I thought it was ok, but Pixar films tend to be way better than OK. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The Guilty - new one on Netflix with Jake Gyllenhall. It's alright, not as good as the trailer makes you think it is. Goes a bit stupid towards the end.

I haven't watched it yet but I'd already had a bet with myself that despite Gyllenhalls presence it wouldn't be a patch on the superb original.

Looks like I might have been right.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

We watched Luca (Disney Pixar) with the kids at the weekend, comfortably the worst Disney Pixar film ever made. Really disappointing.

woah!

i thought it was alright but didnt really do much and it was a story thats been told a thousand times, i liked the art style though which will be half the battle

i think i enjoyed it more than onward and maybe even soul, i'll be in no rush to watch it again though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

I haven't watched it yet but I'd already had a bet with myself that despite Gyllenhalls presence it wouldn't be a patch on the superb original.

Yeah it's a really interesting concept but doesn't execute it that well imo. Haven't seen the original so can't comment on that but it didn't rally do it for me

Yeah the original is great, not sure I'll even bother watching the remake tbh

• Like 1

Just back from watching The Many Saints of Newark.

Enjoyed it. I think if you're a Sopranos fan you should definitely get something out of it.

That's on my watch list for sure. Thank its awesome that James Gandolfini's son is playing his dad's character's younger self in it also.

• Like 1

Enjoyed it. I think if you're a Sopranos fan you should definitely get something out of it.

Going on Thursday. Can't wait

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Going on Thursday. Can't wait

Yeah I enjoyed it, but the wife (also a Sopranos fan) was disappointed as she thought it would be more about Tony Soprano and his backstory. There is a bit of that, but it's not a major element as the main story is focused on Dickie Moltisanti's character, and the truth about his death.

Great to spend a bit of time with some of the characters again, and Chases writing is pretty on point as usual.

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched this last night and agree the trailer does it's job. I didn't think it was too bad.

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Its good, lots to like about it and we'll worth a watch, it doesn't suffer from feeling like cashing in or pointless 

But not all of the characters work, sometimes the ties to the sopranos weakens it rather than strengthens it

Spoiler

I didn't like Silvio at all

Edited by villa4europe

Â