The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Broccolis ego won't allow them to hire someone who is a name already. They'll want someone who they can 'make' into a star, someone who forever is associated with James Bond first and foremost. So it'll be someone who hasn't been a high profile character already, it'll be someone fairly obscure.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Broccolis ego won't allow them to hire someone who is a name already. They'll want someone who they can 'make' into a star, someone who forever is associated with James Bond first and foremost. So it'll be someone who hasn't been a high profile character already, it'll be someone fairly obscure.

Yes this, Hardy is the favourite but would cost whatever his fee is from day 1 too, very doubtful for me although he is the favourite, he gets type cast already, so doubt he'll fancy it, plus he is in demand and probably tied up on planned projects already for years.

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

This looks very interesting. Like Winding-Refn meets Tarantino meets Ritchie. I know it'll appeal to some in here

Yeah that looks right up my street. 

Oh, and **** James Bond - load of outdated posh bloke wank.

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah that looks right up my street. 

Oh, and **** James Bond - load of outdated posh bloke wank.

Hehe, you were the 'some' I was referring to in my OP :) 

It's debuting in Celluloid Screams in Sheffield on October 24th as part of their film festival that weekend. Antlers by Scott Cooper/Guillermo Del Toro is also playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i'd love idris elba just to annoy the racists

when it was rumoured recently the amount of outcry was incredible

If the franchise continued and the premise is he's a new 007  and James Bond is an alias given to every 007  ( which we kinda know isn't likely i.e the fact that Bond is the family name ) with no backstory then I don't think there can be any objection , other than Elba's ability to play the role  ..and as you say skin colour

If Elba is supposed to seamlessly slot into the role as Bond and we are lead to believe he was the son of a Scottish  / Swiss couple who worked for an arms company and holidayed in Chamonix  .. leaving an orphan who went to Eton and finishing school in Geneva before rising to the rank of Commander in the navy .. then I think its somewhat of a harder sell 

so really it depends on the producers and what route  they want to take 007 down .. but the line "The name's Bond , James Bond" is  entwined with the 007 tag so I'd be stunned if it isn't another white male

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If the franchise continued and the premise is he's a new 007  and James Bond is an alias given to every 007  ( which we kinda know isn't likely i.e the fact that Bond is the family name ) with no backstory then I don't think there can be any objection , other than Elba's ability to play the role  ..and as you say skin colour

If Elba is supposed to seamlessly slot into the role as Bond and we are lead to believe he was the son of a Scottish  / Swiss couple who worked for an arms company and holidayed in Chamonix  .. leaving an orphan who went to Eton and finishing school in Geneva before rising to the rank of Commander in the navy .. then I think its somewhat of a harder sell 

so really it depends on the producers and what route  they want to take 007 down .. but the line "The name's Bond , James Bond" is  entwined with the 007 tag so I'd be stunned if it isn't another white male

i'm no bond fanatic. but from the films i've seen (pretty much just from brosnan onwards) i've only really seen the scottish heritage talked about once which was in skyfall. other than that he's just a british guy. i wasn't even aware of a load of other stuff mentioned in the bolded part. i guess it's something that would only matter to the bond purists.

there have been like 6 different actors that all look different and sound different. the colour of the skin is surely not important.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm no bond fanatic. but from the films i've seen (pretty much just from brosnan onwards) i've only really seen the scottish heritage talked about once which was in skyfall. other than that he's just a british guy. i wasn't even aware of a load of other stuff mentioned in the bolded part. i guess it's something that would only matter to the bond purists.

there have been like 6 different actors that all look different and sound different. the colour of the skin is surely not important.

Kind of reverse question, would Shaft work played by a white actor or even be accepted? 

The Bond franchise should be either scrapped or rebooted. I'd be happy with the current story arc (such as it is) to continue as it is - glamour, arch humour, car chases, stunts, modern technology, etc.- with a new main character NOT called Bond. The lead can be male, female, old, young, white, not white, gay, straight, trans, whatever. 

But I'd also like to see a new series of James Bond movies, closely based on the Fleming books, set in the 50s and 60s. In sequence, so a sports Bentley before the Aston Martin, and so on. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Kind of reverse question, would Shaft work played by a white actor or even be accepted? 

never seen it...but my point still stands. i don't see why the colour of the actor's skin should matter unless it was absolutely integral to the plot. which, certainly in the bond film's i've seen, it isn't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Bond franchise should be either scrapped or rebooted. I'd be happy with the current story arc (such as it is) to continue as it is - glamour, arch humour, car chases, stunts, modern technology, etc.- with a new main character NOT called Bond. The lead can be male, female, old, young, white, not white, gay, straight, trans, whatever. 

But I'd also like to see a new series of James Bond movies, closely based on the Fleming books, set in the 50s and 60s. In sequence, so a sports Bentley before the Aston Martin, and so on. 

I'm all for this.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

never seen it...but my point still stands. i don't see why the colour of the actor's skin should matter unless it was absolutely integral to the plot. which, certainly in the bond film's i've seen, it isn't.

I sort agree, it's a fictional character. 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Good idea, the 50's 60's Bond would have to be played by a white, preferably Scottish actor due to Cold War period, a black spy trying to blend in out of site against a Russian protagonist would not work at all unless we want to rewrite history. Your initial idea gives the wriggle room for anyone, like it

Just now, Follyfoot said:

yes, but black in the source novel

Yep, I suppose the point I was trying to make was that at a certain point someone had imagined the protagonist as white. Would that have worked as well as, or been accepted as well as Roundtree? very doubtful given the film was initially aimed at a young black audience and it's themes of Black Power.

Roundtree is absolutely iconic in that role.

Anyway, **** James Bond 😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep, I suppose the point I was trying to make was that at a certain point someone had imagined the protagonist as white. Would that have worked as well as, or been accepted as well as Roundtree? very doubtful given the film was initially aimed at a young black audience and it's themes of Black Power.

Roundtree is absolutely iconic in that role.

Anyway, **** James Bond 😁

I know blackface is frowned upon but the Fast Show sketch where the character beat Steve Davis at snooker still makes me giggle, kind of got the Roundtree feel to it 

Â