The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Birdman of Alcatraz, top Burt Lancaster performance

Escape from Alcatraz, Eastwood with the actual ‘ prisoner’ poetically playing a role

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"Many Saints of Newark" later for me. Can't wait!

(also just found out why it's called that, very good :) )

Its definitely made me want to start the sopranos again, if you loved the show there's enough there, wouldn't say no to a sequel 

Unfortunately I restarted the wire last week instead 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Its definitely made me want to start the sopranos again, if you loved the show there's enough there, wouldn't say no to a sequel 

Unfortunately I restarted the wire last week instead 🤦‍♂️

That's definitely not unfortunate.

I've got a comprehensive recap of the Sopranos lined up on YouTube which I'm going to watch later in preparation for the film

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Birdman of Alcatraz, top Burt Lancaster performance

This immediately sprang to mind, arguably one of the greatest films ever made, it is by the way, and if anyone mentions great performances in films, Burt Lancaster in this always comes to mind. I love it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This immediately sprang to mind, arguably one of the greatest films ever made, it is by the way, and if anyone mentions great performances in films, Burt Lancaster in this always comes to mind. I love it. 

I'm almost with you, great film and performance, Karl Malden too nailed it.

As for Burt's greatest performance, Its Sweet Smell of Success 1957 for me, both his and Tony Curtis's finest hour, just my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'm almost with you, great film and performance, Karl Malden too nailed it.

As for Burt's greatest performance, Its Sweet Smell of Success 1957 for me, both his and Tony Curtis's finest hour, just my opinion. 

He was a very under rated actor and certainly when people talk now of acting greats, I am not sure if he gets the acclaim he deserves. Bird man of Alcatraz, sweet smell of success, Atlantic city, Elmer Gantry, Seven days in May. I could watch any film with him in it and revel in his performance. One of my favourite actors. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

He was a very under rated actor and certainly when people talk now of acting greats, I am not sure if he gets the acclaim he deserves. Bird man of Alcatraz, sweet smell of success, Atlantic city, Elmer Gantry, Seven days in May. I could watch any film with him in it and revel in his performance. One of my favourite actors. 

Yes same here, one of the greats for sure, he and a few others had that screen presence that almost none of today stars can come close to.

• Like 1

There's this really good prison film that I watched about 20 years ago.

Small unknown film. Don't think it got a very big release.

It'll be really difficult to find but if you can, you should check it out. It's really good

I think it was called The Shawshank Redemption

There's been some cracking prison movies over the years (some good mentions already) this is one of my favourites from the more contemporary bunch. Absolutely brutal brilliance.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Â