The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Yet ironically it was banned then but able to be shown now.

Definitely due a re-watch myself I reckon.

Well I think it was banned for the sexual violence. That's not really what I'm referring to. It's more the parts that felt like a carry on film eg

Spoiler

There's a bit where he wakes up from his coma and a Doctor and Nurse emerge from a curtained off bed next to him and they've obviously been shagging. The doctor is pulling his trousers up and the nurse's tits are hanging out. I can't really see what that added to anything other than having another pair of boobs in it

And it's not that that stuff should be banned, just that it's a bit shit.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Only in some markets. It's been banned for years in some places (and still is in some I think)

I was talking about the UK tbh and even then it wasn't banned, it was withdrawn from circulation by Kubrick. I think there were only a couple of places that officially banned it upon release and others who insisted on cuts.

• Like 3

As an aside, when I was at college (late 80's) this film was kinda the Holy Grail of movies you had to see.

The first time I watched it was on VHS...in Italian 😁 Such was my desire to watch it I didn't give a hoot, from the superb opening sequence I could tell I'd love it even in a different language.

A few weeks later a friend and I ventured to Oasis in Brum where in the dingy downstairs store a guy sold us a copy of the UK version - the quality was appalling in comparison to the Italian one but hey, I'd finally watched it 😎

4 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

As an aside, when I was at college (late 80's) this film was kinda the Holy Grail of movies you had to see.

The first time I watched it was on VHS...in Italian 😁 Such was my desire to watch it I didn't give a hoot, from the superb opening sequence I could tell I'd love it even in a different language.

A few weeks later a friend and I ventured to Oasis in Brum where in the dingy downstairs store a guy sold us a copy of the UK version - the quality was appalling in comparison to the Italian one but hey, I'd finally watched it 😎

I saw it also in the 80s on a much handed round VHS. I was expecting something shocking, something that would make me think it was right to be banned in the end and perhaps teenage years spent watching I spit on your grave, Debbie does Dallas, deep throat and the evil dead, I thought, is that it. 

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Debbie does Dallas, deep throat

there's a website called hamster with an x at the beginning that has a great collection of classics all named 'among the greatest'

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched the original Candyman for the first time last night and thought it was alright prob give it a 6.5/10. Surprised I haven't seen it before tbh. Going to watch the new one tonight. Heard mixed reviews  

That's interesting, certainly when I watched it at the time I would say it was a 9/10. I wonder if time would make me re-evaluate it. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

That's interesting, certainly when I watched it at the time I would say it was a 9/10. I wonder if time would make me re-evaluate it. 

It hasn't aged that well and I am not a massive horror fan as it is so that is why I probably rated it fairly low 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

27 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

It hasn't aged that well and I am not a massive horror fan as it is so that is why I probably rated it fairly low 

I said the same a couple of pages ago. 
it’s overrated for me. 

Chris Pratt being cast as Mario in the upcoming Mario animated movie just doesn't sit right.

I know they can't exactly have Charles Martinet doing his hyperactive mock Italian impression in a movie in 2021, but that isMario's voice these days. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Chris Pratt being cast as Mario in the upcoming Mario animated movie just doesn't sit right.

I know they can't exactly have Charles Martinet doing his hyperactive mock Italian impression in a movie in 2021, but that isMario's voice these days. 

I'd say he will have to get as near as damnit or die the hard way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58675963

You'll be hearing an A-list cast of voices when the new Super Mario Bros animated film comes out.

Chris Pratt will be saying "it's-a-me" playing the title character Mario, with Charlie Day as his sibling Luigi.

The Queen's Gambit's Anya Taylor-Joy will play Princess Peach, with supervillain Bowser voiced by Jack Black.

Seth Rogen will be Donkey Kong, in the film scheduled to be released in December 2022.

Watched Parasite again (Amazon Prime) and it is an incredible film. How Song Kang-Ho didn't get at least a Best Supporting Actor nod I don't know. Korean cinema over the last 5 years has been the tits

• Like 3

Just now, theunderstudy said:

Watched Parasite again (Amazon Prime) and it is an incredible film. How Song Kang-Ho didn't get at least a Best Supporting Actor nod I don't know. Korean cinema over the last 5 years has been the tits

Agreed, it's brilliant. Have you seen The Housemaid? 

In other news, watched Rossellini's "Journey to Italy" (1954) last night. Pretty good film, but with a weak ending. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Agreed, it's brilliant. Have you seen The Housemaid? 

In other news, watched Rossellini's "Journey to Italy" (1954) last night. Pretty good film, but with a weak ending. 

I've not yet. Is it on any streaming services?

One of the incredible things about Parasite is that entire house was a set. It's absolutely incredible

Â