The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've never had any connection to Warcraft, so I'm not best placed to criticise it, but I always felt that the games style was a very rote pulp fantasy set up with lore that no-one overly cares about

I'd disagree with you there mate.

Some of the Warcraft Lore is utterly fantastic, and down the years there have been story strands that have made even a cynical bastard like myself 'Ooo and ah' ;)

In fact, one of the reasons I was so positive about a Warcraft movie (or a series of Warcraft movies) is that they have such a rich tapestry of stories and history to choose from it's easy pickings. Basically, everything is there on a plate.

Edited by Designer1

Suffering from the same thing the sw prequel trilogy did, an over use and reliance on not very convincing and poorly done computer effects, i.e. unconvincing cgi people in real locations/real people in front of 100% green screen. Just looks soulless.

Hobbit films' too, the hoky looking barrel/river scene is a (awful) perfect example, yet, lotr Gollum was done at the turn of the century and yet looks infinitely more convincing than those orcs in the wow trailer and all the computer tomfoolery we see now.

JJ has the right idea and has seemingly nailed it based on the sw trailers so far, as much real world stuff as possible then use cgi to a minimum to enhance those scenes without going overboard.

Edited by Ingram85

I've never had any connection to Warcraft, so I'm not best placed to criticise it, but I always felt that the games style was a very rote pulp fantasy set up with lore that no-one overly cares about

I'd disagree with you there mate.

Some of the Warcraft Lore is utterly fantastic, and down the years there have been story strands that have made even a cynical bastard like myself 'Ooo and ah' ;)

In fact, one of the reasons I was so positive about a Warcraft movie (or a series of Warcraft movies) is that they have such a rich tapestry of stories and history to choose from it's easy pickings. Basically, everything is there on a plate.

I'd have to bow to your greater knowledge on that front, I was just going off my impression of the series over the years.

Either way I'll be astounded if that movie is any good.

• Like 1

Still the best scene in Ex Machina

Hidden Content

It has it all

disco music and dancing, a good beard and a hot Japanese sex robot. Pretty much my fantasy
Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Back from spectre, thought it was shit, really disappointed

It's full of poorly written near pointless characters, Monica bellucci was utterly pointless, the 2nd Bond girl wasn't much better, C was a terrible character, waltz was a criminally underdeveloped character

It seemed like they were more interested in ticking bond boxes than they were about making a good film, when you think about the set up they had after sky fall, the talent they had at their disposal and what they tried to do and how badly they failed I'm tempted to say it was worse than QofS

Don't get me wrong I like Daniel Craig as bond but for me he's now been in 2 of the worst and 2 of the best bond films ever

• Like 1

Back from spectre, thought it was shit, really disappointed

It's full of poorly written near pointless characters, Monica bellucci was utterly pointless, the 2nd Bond girl wasn't much better, C was a terrible character, waltz was a criminally underdeveloped character

It seemed like they were more interested in ticking bond boxes than they were about making a good film, when you think about the set up they had after sky fall, the talent they had at their disposal and what they tried to do and how badly they failed I'm tempted to say it was worse than QofS

Don't get me wrong I like Daniel Craig as bond but for me he's now been in 2 of the worst and 2 of the best bond films ever

I saw it. I really, really don't want to agree with this, because I really enjoyed Skyfall, but I do agree, it was more than a bit pants. It just felt like a Bond greatest hits collection. The one good thing I can say about it is that it looks good - I mean, Christoph Waltz's hideout in North Africa is an absolute triumph of set design. But the plot was rubbish. And they really, really need to decide whether these films are meant to be connected in some way - they keep pretending they are, but it's obvious they make up the over-arching story as they go along, and they don't really connect in any way at all. They should either be standalone stories, or they should plot several films ahead, because this 'muddle in the middle' is just nonsensical. 

• Like 1

Â