The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Saw the Hobbit - loved it :D

Granted it was in 2D.

I'll need to make a trip to my second closest cinema to see the HFR-3D version very soon though.

Got a warm fuzzy feeling going back to Middle-earth and hearing Howard Shore's score just brought all the good memories back. It was great to see some of the characters I love, back on the silver screen.

Thought the pacing was fine. I could see why they put Azog's antagonist into the film and had no problem with it, although the way Gandalf summoned the Eagles was a bit too reminiscent of FotR (can't remember if that's how it happens in the book). The film didn't feel padded out or anything.

Can't wait for the Desolation of Smaug (what a kick-ass name btw).

This might be old news to some, but I couldnt find anything when I searched so I'll be the one to mention it.

Michael Fassbender and Maggie Gyllenhaal are going to star in a film about the life and times of Frank Sidebottom.

T3ngR.jpg

What the actual ****?

I tagged along to see 'Life of Pi' in 3D. I read plenty that the 3D in this film is excellent but, really, it is still a terrible, terrible gimick. Some of the shots looked fantastic, but it wasn't the added depth of field that made those shots beautiful, but the colour, and because of the dimming effect those glasses have the colour is almost ruined. It is a shame, because some of it is wonderful to look at. However, that is the best thing I can say about the film. It was self-important hogwash.

I also watched 'Encounters at the End of the World'. Predictably amazing, and that penguin walking off...

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I watched the first and third Lord Of The Rings movies over Christmas and I was genuinely surprised by just how much I enjoyed them. Even the ending of The Return Of The King didn't seem as bloated as it did originally, it felt necessary and gave the movie a touch of added weight.

I skipped The Two Towers as I've watched it within the last couple of years but I think I'll get on it tomorrow. Now looking forward to The Hobbit.

• Like 1

saw jack reacher, i liked it, seemed pretty clever and he's a good character, the baddie isnt very strong but the rest of the cast and the story is ok, my only criticism would be he seemed to be absolutely **** amazing at everything

i havent read the books so cruise doesnt bother and im also one of those who thinks cruise isnt actually that bad an actor

also saw some great trailers for films out in jan / feb, will be a brilliant month -

the impossible, gangster squad, jiro dreams of sushi, les miserables, django unchained, lincoln, zero dark thirty, flight, hitchcock, warm bodies, wreck it ralph, a good day to die hard, this is 40, cloud atlas will all be seen at the cinema by me and the gf

The god/religion stuff didn't bother me too much, as even though I'm decidedly against all of it, I can understand why people would want to believe in such stories if it makes their lives that bit more bearable. The end just seemed so pleased with itself, however, and completely ruined the film.

I loved Life of Pi - it is a good family movie for this time of year. I've been told it would have made the film 100x better had I read the book but I disagree: I find movies translated to books (well if you read the books first of course) kind of spoil the surprise.

I watched the first and third Lord Of The Rings movies over Christmas and I was genuinely surprised by just how much I enjoyed them. Even the ending of The Return Of The King didn't seem as bloated as it did originally, it felt necessary and gave the movie a touch of added weight.

I skipped The Two Towers as I've watched it within the last couple of years but I think I'll get on it tomorrow. Now looking forward to The Hobbit.

I just watched all 3 again actually, and agree that RotK is very good indeed, better than TT, but not quite as good as FotR.

Watched 'The Woman in Black' last night.

Lights off and during a storm that included lightning flashes and brief electrical dropouts, it had some perfectly good old school make you jump moments.

Not the deepest plot ever, acting was perfectly ok, 90 minutes.

Quite restrained on the melodrama and stage blood front for something sporting the Hammer logo in the opening credits.

Watched "Ted" last night...surprisingly funny.

Oddly, I watched Ted too and I genuinely thought at one point "Rob would like this".

I've spent far too much of my life on Villa forums. Far too much.

As for the film, I thought it was OK. A few chuckles, a couple of mwahahas and at least one guffaw straight from the belly. It's a bit slow, a bit formulaic and I'm tired of romance being the automatic vehicle for every, single, **** comedy film under the sun. But yeah, worth watching.

So, just finished watching that Tyrannosaur I've read so much about in this thread.

The missus has just about finished crying, and I'm ready to top myself now.

Good film though.

I've been trying to get myself into the right mode to watch that for some months. Now you have confirmed my worst suspicions, that it's not going to end so pretty, I might have to wait a few months more.

Â