The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Anyone seen Argo? I like the look of it and as a deal sealer it also has an 8.4 on IMDb.

Heard good things so its booked for this weekend. That'll be Skyfall, Shame, Killer Joe and Argo all in a week. Not that I'm particularly adding anything to this thread though as they've all been (rightly) recommended many times in this thread.

What i find with 3D is that the movie still tends to be out of focus in the cinema and i'm continually having to blink. Might be old age? However i do like the effect when used properly.

I read in Empire that Jackson I releasing The Hobbit on both 48fps an 24fps

In theory 48fps will resolve this issue that you highlight ( one I agree with) but early critic reviews seem to slate the format

Interesting times for 3D ...

Off to see 'Argo' on Thursday. I'm still not 100% sold on Affleck as an actor, yet his directing ability impresses me. 'The Town' is so underrated by many.

On another note, I just watched 'True Romance' for the first time in years. I seem to like it more now than I did when I first saw it. Great entertainment.

I read in Empire that Jackson I releasing The Hobbit on both 48fps an 24fps

In theory 48fps will resolve this issue that you highlight ( one I agree with) but early critic reviews seem to slate the format

Interesting times for 3D ...

48fps footage was shown at Cinema Con in June and was slated as looking cheap and uncinematic. It should help with 3D as it assists with problems like blur that are associated with the usual 24fps (that also gives films their cinematic quality) that **** up 3D effects. Unfortunately basically no-one is going to see the film in 48fps, as it seems very few cinemas are able/can be bothered to upgrade their kit to show at that framerate.

Jackson is basically trying to advance cinema as a bit of a vanity project I think, similarly to James Cameron (who advocates a shift to 60fps himself).

On the first Hobbit film actually, Jackson confirmed the other day he's not actually finished it yet, sfx is still being finished and is currently running at 2 hrs 40. Theres already a heavy hint there'll be an extended bluray too... If the other 2 films run at a similar length, he's made the Hobbit into a 9 hour series, which is insane. The Hobbit, even with additional content, shouldn't run to 9 hours on film. Its a pretty simple and straightforward read and rattles along.

Off to see 'Argo' on Thursday. I'm still not 100% sold on Affleck as an actor, yet his directing ability impresses me. 'The Town' is so underrated by many.

On another note, I just watched 'True Romance' for the first time in years. I seem to like it more now than I did when I first saw it. Great entertainment.

Only saw True ROmance for the first time a couple of months ago. THought it was fantastic. How I've managed to avoid it for so long I don't know.

Still Malicks second best in my opinion. Days of Heaven being top of the pile.

You worried that he's making 2 movies in next Year? along with the general release of To Wonder early next year. Too much film making imo, not enough contemplation and perfectionism. I'm worried.

As for the order of his movies. The Tree of Life is the utter masterpiece of film, best piece of art I've ever seen. Followed by The New World. What he managed with those 2 particularly is the way the movies wash over you. It's a stunning and genius skill he has, which he has mastered with his last 2 releases.

I like both Badlands and Days of Heaven in different ways, both are excellent. While The Thin red Line has too much voice over, and the ensamble cast doesn't really come off. Could have been great if he directed it now, after he's mastered his skills. Lets say he was rusty.

Just watched Red State. Thought it was ok, but really short, would have loved to have seen john goodman's character have a fuller arc develop. Whole film felt a bit underdone really, which was a shame as it started promisingly, but then it just ended.Only about 75 mins long.

Just watched Red State. Thought it was ok, but really short, would have loved to have seen john goodman's character have a fuller arc develop. Whole film felt a bit underdone really, which was a shame as it started promisingly, but then it just ended.Only about 75 mins long.

Pretty much my thoughts on the film. I know he funded the whole thing himself but it felt like half a story. What was there was great but when it finished, you just wished they'd fleshed it out more.

Urghhhh Tree of Life

Parts of it, great. Others were utterly awful

It's certainly not for everyone. But arts are hard viewing. The magic of Malick is how at the end there is a wash of emotion the flows over your and I don't know how he does it. It stuck with me hours after I left the cinema.

Then there is the formation of the universe, what a stunning 40 mins that is, made with no cgi till the dinosaur as Malick didn't like it how cgi effects looked. The whole movie is perfection in my eyes, taking over from 12 Angry men as my favourite movie ever.

The man has skills.

Â