The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Never seen it before but The Wicker man is on TV

on one hand it seems to be a musical or at least contain a lot of singing , on the other it just had 3 minutes of Britt  Ekland  dancing with her bobbies out

maybe I’ll just put it on mute and continue to watch 

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Never seen it before but The Wicker man is on TV

on one hand it seems to be a musical or at least contain a lot of singing , on the other it just had 3 minutes of Britt  Ekland  dancing with her bobbies out

maybe I’ll just put it on mute and continue to watch 

I like the bit where they are singing around the maypole with the noncey

teacher

great film

Edited by Follyfoot

ancient1-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

The Ancient Woods (Mindaugas Survila)

Filmed in one of the last remaining patches of old growth forest in Lithuania, The Ancient Woods is a place where the boundaries of time melt and everything that exists does not wither or age but "grows into" eternity. A poetic and atypical nature film takes its viewers on the endless journey - from the forest thickets to the wolves' caves and up to black stork's nest, and then deep into the water to the underwater forest, returning after to the human beings inhabiting the edge of the woodland. There's no commentary, only the rich, almost palpable sounds of the forest and the magical situations captured by the camera

This was quite stunning to look at, and great sound, very good film

• Like 3

Watched Decision to Leave, the Korean film from last year, hypnotic to watch with some lovely visual touches, but found the central theme of the film didn't land with me as I might have expected.

By the starkest of contrasts, currently watching Your Christmas or Mine 2, which is predictably abysmal

On 05/12/2023 at 09:12, useless said:

gracie-and-elizabeth-in-mirrors-in-may-d

May December (Todd Haynes) - i thought this was really great, I liked everything about it, one of the best new films I've seen in a while.

Going to give this a watch tonight mate, based on your recommendation. If it's crap I'll let my missus know it was your fault 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Hoping to see Godzilla Minus 1 reviews this week.

@Designer1

:ph34r:

There's only one showing per day at my cinema at a time I can't make 😟

Annoying, because I was really up for watching it at the cinema and it's reviewing ridiculously well.

Hopefully the schedule updates for next week and I can get to see it.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tinker said:

Killers of the Flower Moon, some decent performances but the whole thing was just to slow and drawn out , 6/10 for me, took 2 sittings to get through it .

I've done 3 sittings and still haven't finished it yet. Nothing about the plot/story is gripping me to keep watching, and I'm a huge Scorsese fan.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Designer1 said:

There's only one showing per day at my cinema at a time I can't make 😟

Annoying, because I was really up for watching it at the cinema and it's reviewing ridiculously well.

Hopefully the schedule updates for next week and I can get to see it.

I am booked on Friday at my local cinema as my lad has been pestering me continuously, it has three showings early and mid afternoon and evening so seems to be going into wider showings now

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I am booked on Friday at my local cinema as my lad has been pestering me continuously, it has three showings early and mid afternoon and evening so seems to be going into wider showings now

Yes I checked this morning and they've added more showings. All booked up for Sunday afternoon now 😎

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Dune 2 trailer looks good. Gonna have to rewatch the first one again tho, can't remember anything about what is going on. 

It’s not out now until next spring/summer I believe? 

I enjoyed the first part but my wife found it utterly boring - will take my lad to see part 2 (and will try and rewatch part 1 the night before to refresh my memory!)

I love long form analysis videos on YouTube. And I do mean long. The master of the format is probably Tim Rogers who will do 6+ hour reviews, but my favourite are the guys from Resonant Arc. 

Normally I watch video game related reviews, but they do some film ones too. Here's their Jurassic Park review which really emphasised to me what an incredible movie it is (with the only real down side being some utterly daft continuity errors which I can remember even as an 8 year old not making any sense and really annoying me).

If you have a spare 4 hours and like that movie too, but perhaps wonder if it actually is good or whether the greatness you associate with it is down to nostalgia...this answered that question for me. I haven't watched it for years, but have a hankering to now. 

On 12/12/2023 at 12:20, Designer1 said:

Yes I checked this morning and they've added more showings. All booked up for Sunday afternoon now 😎

Just got back it’s an incredible piece of cinema. The big fella is good value as always, but there are other monsters much closer to home at play

Equally uplifting and harrowing

The musical score for the final section was rising and impressive and a nod to the original Godzilla films,

I think what separates this from the Hollywood blockbusters is one simple thing, this film has a soul and  a clear subliminal message

enjoy

Spoiler

A man still at war whose life is entwined with a monster at war.

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Thanks 1

Â