The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

49 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Is there actually something behind this whole Barbie vs Oppenheimer thing?

Is it just a marketing ploy over two summer releases or is there something more to it?

I dont recall ever seeing this much interest or competition on films before. 

It built up from the memes that people came up with when they noticed 2 completely different, absurdly so, blockbuster movies were being released against each other. It's kind of a perfect storm of different kinds of movies competing - one the worthy heavy super serious biopic of the story of the leading mind behind the most devastating weapon ever made directed by the modern darling director, the other a completely surreal big budget comedy based on a particularly silly toy directed by a fairly new and small time indie movie director.

The difference is so stark it's funny.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

It built up from the memes that people came up with when they noticed 2 completely different, absurdly so, blockbuster movies were being released against each other. It's kind of a perfect storm of different kinds of movies competing - one the worthy heavy super serious biopic of the story of the leading mind behind the most devastating weapon ever made directed by the modern darling director, the other a completely surreal big budget comedy based on a particularly silly toy directed by a fairly new and small time indie movie director.

Feels like there should be more to it.

Surely situations like this have come up before. 

It all seems a bit daft to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Both films highly tipped to be in the oscar nominations... 

22 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

Watching LA Confidential (Amazon Prime) for what I think is the 36th time. What a film.

One of my best cinema going days involved a Saturday at New St Odeon, a good mate and Face/Off followed by LA Confidential on the big screen. Followed by a few beers.

Halcyon days. 

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

One of my best cinema going days involved a Saturday at New St Odeon, a good mate and Face/Off followed by LA Confidential on the big screen. Followed by a few beers.

Halcyon days. 

Face-off was  a fantastic film

Saw Oppenheimer last night.

Really struggled with the opening half hour or so as all the conversations seemed to be happening at a million miles per hour and it was jumping all over the place from scene to scene, time periods etc.

It did settle into itself and particularly when they all get to Los Alamos it was very compelling. Cillian Murphy I would say is pretty nailed on for the Oscar, particularly with the strike I think he might have a pretty open field. Possibly the same with Christopher Nolan. Downey Jr and Damon were both fantastic as well.

When I came out of the cinema the film it most reminded me of was The Social Network with the whole narrative being told from a closed hearing that was and wasn’t a courtroom drama with the largely fast snappy dialogue. The script didn’t feel as well constructed as The Social Network. Definitely elements of The Imitation Game as well.

Overall a solid 8/10 for me.

Probably added an extra point for the fact that Florence Pugh doesn’t seem to have a scene where she’s wearing any clothes.

23 hours ago, Xela said:

Halcyon days. 

I went to watch this show at cinema with an ex.  Had a few drinks before hand.  Came out at end and said I didn’t think Sylvester Stallone was in it.  Turned out I went into the screening beside it which was showing copland.

• Like 1

Finally got round to Dune last night. I read (and loved) the book when I was 17, and I've always preferred my SF on the printed page rather than on a screen. I walked out of the 1984 David Lynch atrocity, and I wasn't too optimistic about this one. After ten minutes or so, the missus delivered her verdict ("This is a load of bollocks"), and returned to her phone screen. I stayed to the end. It obviously loses a huge amount on a TV screen, rather than cinema (ideally IMAX), but I thought it was OK - pretty close to what I remember of the book. Had the general air of 'Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings' (Chalamet has that same wide-eyed expression as Elijah Wood's Bilbo) [*] , with a few 'Crouching Tiger' ninja fights thrown in. Not terrible, not great. Won't be queueing up for the sequel. 

[*] Yeah, I know, Frodo. 

Edited by mjmooney

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Finally got round to Dune last night. I read (and loved) the book when I was 17, and I've always preferred my SF on the printed page rather than on a screen. I walked out of the 1984 David Lynch atrocity, and I wasn't too optimistic about this one. After ten minutes or so, the missus delivered her verdict ("This is a load of bollocks"), and returned to her phone screen. I stayed to the end. It obviously loses a huge amount on a TV screen, rather than cinema (ideally IMAX), but I thought it was OK - pretty close to what I remember of the book. Had the general air of 'Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings' (Chalamet has that same wide-eyed expression as Elijah Wood's Bilbo) , with a few 'Crouching Tiger' ninja fights thrown in. Not terrible, not great. Won't be queueing up for the sequel. 

I saw it in the cinema having not read the books or seen any of the other attempts at a film or TV.

the first 15 - 20 mins or so were hard work as they kinda laid out the story and the characters for you and you had to try and keep up  .. after that I thought it was a pretty decent film , certainly the best Dune film I've seen  

• Like 1

Tickets booked for Talk To Me on Monday.

Reviews have been incredibly positive (especially for a contemporary horror) and it sounds like it's right up my street.

spacer.png

Curiosity got the better of me as I’ve been reading the books, so I tried “The Dark Tower” tonight. 

What a mess. It’s like they gave the title and character names to a writer and asked him to guess what the story was

Terrible

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

It is good. Saw it at the flicks a few weeks ago. Absolute bonkers action movie.

To say the gentleman is a force of nature would be an understatement

Â