The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 18/01/2023 at 18:23, Designer1 said:

Just back from this...

spacer.png

Yep, good fun.

Has a wickedly dark sense of humour and there's no pretension about it being anything other than a bit of OTT entertainment. 

We got round to this at last. Absolutely loved it, does all it sets out to perfectly 👍

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 17:53, Chindie said:

Good read.

Obviouslly I can''t speak from an Irish perspective, but I can 'get' the idea behind the article, that it's basically using a DisneyLand vision of Ireland and the Irish people that isn't really anything other than a stereotyped wallpaper for the story that he leans on to colour the work. I haven't watched Banshees of Inisherin yet, but will, and of McDonagh's other stuff he does have a crutch of colouring his work with overblown stereotyped character to fill out and give the thing tone and, well, character. It works for some things better than others - as the article says In Bruges does it and it works ok there (probably because the 'Irishness' of it isn't the point - Farrell and Gleeson just so happen to be Irish characters who slightly amped up from 'real', but thats not what the film is about), which is less the case with Banshees as the entire setting implies it's a pointedly Irish tale (although I believe that it's a story that calls back to McDonagh's crutch and you could make the same story with the same plot and some theme anywhere)... I can understand that having the entire world be given this lauded vision of your home and your people that is actually a heightened stereotype that has been ridiculed by native writers for a century would rub you the wrong way.

I do wonder if it would be possible for McDonagh, right now, to write a film set in Somalia, with local actors, and achieve the same thing he does with his very 'Oirish' tone.

I think that article is mostly somebody trying to be too clever by half. What does he think life was like in rural Ireland 100 years ago? They weren't going back to their 40th floor yuppy flats to watch Netflix. I don't imagine it was very different to life in rural England at the same time, it's just the writer wanted to tell the story in Ireland. Life was hard, people worked the land then went to the pub.

On 28/01/2023 at 10:21, Rodders said:

Re-watched Another Round last night - very hard to watch when you're doing Dry January but still a great film. 

Yeah I watched that for the first time a month or so ago. Very good.

Although (and this must have been pointed out before) the premise to the film was weirdly similar to the idea of this amusing, albeit slightly overlong Mitchell & Webb sketch.

• Like 2

On 29/01/2023 at 09:17, Follyfoot said:

We got round to this at last. Absolutely loved it, does all it sets out to perfectly 👍

I just watched it as well was really good. Its like a much better version than the remake of chucky which ventures down the same lines.

The actual doll is presented very well

2 hours ago, Risso said:

I think that article is mostly somebody trying to be too clever by half. What does he think life was like in rural Ireland 100 years ago? They weren't going back to their 40th floor yuppy flats to watch Netflix. I don't imagine it was very different to life in rural England at the same time, it's just the writer wanted to tell the story in Ireland. Life was hard, people worked the land then went to the pub.

For me it's just the dialogue that sits in uncanny valley. The lifestyle and what they're doing, that's fine. But I think we've established now that McDonagh basically acknowldeges that he doesn't really know Ireland and is in fact creating exactly what I was accusing him of. A foreign facsimile of how we talk. Diddly aye diddly feckin' aye. And that's fine. So long as he presents it as that then it's all good here :thumb: 

Watched The Swimmer (1968). Burt Lancaster being the titular swimmer.

If you like your surreal, pool based, metaphorical looks at the trials and tribulations of life into middle age, I’d recommend it.

It’s interesting, and at the very least I’m not going to forget it. I can’t think of many things I’ve seen before that’s like it (probably nothing at all).

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, theunderstudy said:

The Menu is decent. Not perfect but enjoyable. Some good performances, particularly from Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor-Joy and Hong Chau

The best thing about it for me was the look of that burger. It looked epic

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Watched The Swimmer (1968). Burt Lancaster being the titular swimmer.

If you like your surreal, pool based, metaphorical looks at the trials and tribulations of life into middle age, I’d recommend it.

It’s interesting, and at the very least I’m not going to forget it. I can’t think of many things I’ve seen before that’s like it (probably nothing at all).

Lovely film.

• Like 1

M3GAN- watchable, like an episode of black mirror. Over the top. Fun in parts. Not that scary. Expect about 10 of these in the future with Chucky Vs M£GAN finishing off the franchise for good in the year 2046. 5/10

18 hours ago, messi11 said:

M3GAN- watchable, like an episode of black mirror. Over the top. Fun in parts. Not that scary. Expect about 10 of these in the future with Chucky Vs M£GAN finishing off the franchise for good in the year 2046. 5/10

Yeah not the worst film but got caught between ideas and in the end didn’t execute any of them too well. 6/10 for me.

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Yeah not the worst film but got caught between ideas and in the end didn’t execute any of them too well. 6/10 for me.

I thought it was good but not scary at all.  I still think the first chucky film is creepy as ****. That part with the batteries is terrifying 

MV5BNDIyZjg0MGUtYjVlMS00YjI2LWE5NmMtZDhk

Lucía (Humberto Solás) - Interesting cinematography, and  inventive editing, none of the three stories get boring, and some good performances.

Hatsukoi.jpg

Nanami: The Inferno of First Love (Susumu Hani) - Disturbing tale, but interestingly put together and very visually creative, some nice sound design too.

Edited by useless

On 03/02/2023 at 14:08, Designer1 said:

Rewatched this last night for the first time in around 20 years.

spacer.png

It's certainly not lost any of its power. It is a particularly grim piece of work with only the occasional slivers of light and levity, but its absolutely engrossing and the central performance from Brad Davis is superb.

Such a shame that he (Davis) died so young as I can imagine he'd have a good body of work by now.

If you've never seen it, get on it ASAP (it's on Netflix).

Great fiction film but absolutely NOT the story of Billy Hayes. Takes the term "based on a true story" to whole new levels.

Â