The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

I think that ship has sailed. 12 and 10 year old don't like anything any more. Sci-fi is for 40 year old who used to like sci-fi when they were 12.

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, makes sense. Like westerns are for 60 year olds who used to like westerns when they were 12. 

See now i'm confused because I love westerns and sci-fi :D

Edited by Designer1
Page break quoty bollocks.
  • Like 2

Saw The Arrival today. Bit of a mind bender, and an entertaining flick in general. Forrest Whittaker butchering a Boston accent was little distracting, but he was still good. Best thing I've seen Jeremy Renner do, I'm not much of a fan of his previous roles. Adams was good. 

• Like 2

On 17/11/2016 at 14:33, Designer1 said:

See now i'm confused because I love westerns and sci-fi :D

On 17/11/2016 at 17:23, BOF said:

Hence why Wild Wild West is your favourite movie.

I like SciFi and Westerns, and am I the person I know that liked Cowboys vs Aliens.

Watched The Witch last night and whilst on the one hand I thought it was a really nicely made yarn, I was never particularly frightened or on the edge of my seat. 

I had expected to be crapping it throughout as generally find occult type stuff gives me the heebie geebies! 

Saw Fantastic Beasts last night.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan really so I'm not the target audience really, but we went to see it anyway cautiously optimistic that the films have generally been decent enough.

It's OK. But not much more.  The plot is an afterthought, and the movie plays that way, essentially lacking a villain until the final 20 minutes, and beforehand a series of linked set pieces. It shoe horns in underdeveloped ideas and tosses them in with little thought (the romance(s) are awful), most notably the threat of the film which is just a bad idea done badly across the board (the threat is caused by something that doesn't gel in a world that asks you to accept a subculture of wizards, and that's really saying something. And the visual design for it is something every single fantastical movie should know to avoid by now). Casts fine, CGI is generally good, it just doesn't quite work. It's also odd how badly the Potterverse 'fits' America, it just doesn't sit the way the original movies did, even with the period trappings trying to give it character.

It's an origin for a movie series that already exists.

On a significant up note though, there's one beast that steals the movie, and whoever did the work developing the look and mannerisms of it is brilliant.

Just got back from watching Arrival.

It's really quite excellent. It's clever, focused and a nice take on the alien invasion genre. It also has a good twist at the end that makes you think about things after the end credits.

One of the best films I've seen at the cinema for a while - 9/10

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

I'm quite shocked that some people didn't like Arrival.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. My film of the year quite comfortably (unless something amazing comes along before Christmas!)

I know exactly the bit where some people say it took a downward turn. 

Spoiler

The part where she goes into the ship and everything afterwards

When that happened in the film I thought to myself it was going to go bad but it really didn't. Not in my eyes. I thought it absolutely needed that element to it. One of the main points of the film was

Spoiler

the stuff with her daughter being in the future and giving her a choice to make of whether to carry on with her life in that way or not

It's a film about aliens that isn't really about aliens. It's more about human interaction and more importantly about Amy Adams' character as a mother, and without the direction it took that wouldn't have been nearly as powerful.

I honestly thought it was brilliant. I'll be seeing it again while it's still in cinemas, and there's very few films I ever feel that way about.

• Like 2

Yeah Arrival was brilliant. To be fair, even though it was explained very very well in the film, probably actually explained a bit too much for my liking, I heard people in the toilets afterwards saying it was slow and they didn't understand it. So people are just a bit dim really. 

As soon as we left one of my friends said he didn't get it so I had to talk him through a couple of bits.

I thought it was well explained and not overly so, that was one of the main reasons I liked it, it didn't dumb itself down.

Â