The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Bit of fun. Didn't really ever recognise quite how many people Cap offs, even if you ignore the exaggerations here. He's nearly as bad as Batman in BvS... ;)

I hope Civil War keeps up his record of throwing people off flying things and destroying flying vehicles with abandon.

A_Girl_at_My_Door_poster.jpg

One of the best films i've seen for a while.

Excellent drama from Korea centred on the relationship between a policewoman and a 14 year old girl (the excellent Kim Sae Ron) who she befriends and tries to protect from her abusive stepfather.

Well worth a watch :thumb:

--EDIT-- Kim Sae Ron also starred in The Man from Nowhere which I believe I recommended a while ago on here. It's kind of like a Bourne / Leon hybrid and is well worth checking out :)

Edited by Designer1
Additional Kim Sae Ron info.

I watched Les Miserables on Friday.

Don't really know why. But it was ok.

Some of the performances were good, and some of the big songs were good. Hathaway nailed "I Dreamed a Dream", highlight of the film.

But, **** me, singing every single word is really really annoying. I'm not much of a musical fan anyway, but it spoiled me having every bit of dialogue just sung to a random tune.

It reminded me of when you're in church and the priest randomly sings a bit of the prayers, even though there's no song that exists for it, they sort of just make up a random tune and squeeze all the syllables in.

Just saw "Inherent Vice"...cynical and subversive and funny as ****. Noir, slapstick, romance, thriller, fantasy...totally bizarre and fun film. 

Based on the Thomas Pynchon book, an author I've never read but has been recommended to me by a couple of people over the years. 

I might have to delve into his books, cuz the movie was brilliant.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Just saw "Inherent Vice"...cynical and subversive and funny as ****. Noir, slapstick, romance, thriller, fantasy...totally bizarre and fun film. 

Based on the Thomas Pynchon book, an author I've never read but has been recommended to me by a couple of people over the years. 

Yep, another belter from PTA.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep, another belter from PTA.

Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood and Inherent Vice were all brilliant. The Master was kind of tedious. But he's building a real legacy as a filmmaker.

Saw Batman v Superman finally this weekend. I can see why it got panned but I actually enjoyed it. I don't take comic book films too seriously and I am more interested in the action and the small nods to the actual comic books. I thought they didn't need the dream sequences at all. The nod to the Justice League was forced but I can see why they did it. Lex Luthor was good at times but awful at others. Superman was a big let down but I thought Affleck was brilliant as Batman. The film was so long as well. It didn't need to be. I thought they introduced Wonder Woman well albeit she was in the film for about 2 minutes. Gal Gadot surprised me.

This film was very different to the Marvel universe films. Very serious and dark at times. Overall I thought the film was a bit muddled at times and far too long.  However, it was enjoyable and I thought the fight sequences were very good. I am looking forward to the Batman reboot with Affleck - not so much the Justice League.

Btw did anyone see the nod to the Riddler?

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Read 'The Crying Of Lot 49', it's brilliant. A detective story about a secretive postal service. 

The new movie adaptation of IT has been given a release date of next September. I'll be stunned if it turns out to be any good, the production has been a nightmare, and the cast is still up in the air. Will Poulter has now alledgedly pulled out from playing the eponymous villain due to scheduling conflicts. In a perfect world I'd like to see a Stephen King Cinematic Universe, with The Dark Tower acting as the backbone to the whole thing, with producers picking those tales which link in closest to Roland and his Ka-tet. Unfortunately it's all looking increasingly murky, and I'll be staggered if any of the films are decent.

The_Lobster.jpg

A very peculiar film - great in places but a bit lame in others.

Essentially, set almost modern day but in a different society, where after becoming single, people get 45 days to find a mate otherwise they get turned into an animal of their choice (reading the VT relationship thread - Birmingham would be overrun with animals!)

A very good cast and an interesting concept

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

The_Lobster.jpg

A very peculiar film - great in places but a bit lame in others.

Essentially, set almost modern day but in a different society, where after becoming single, people get 45 days to find a mate otherwise they get turned into an animal of their choice (reading the VT relationship thread - Birmingham would be overrun with animals!)

A very good cast and an interesting concept

I thought it was **** brilliant.

It stayed with me for a few days after too, which is usually a good sign.

• Like 2

Just now, Designer1 said:

I thought it was **** brilliant.

It stayed with me for a few days after too, which is usually a good sign.

I thought the hotel scenes and the heartless woman were particularly brilliant.

I know you're also a big fan of Olivia Coleman and yet again she was superb - what a bizarre Gene Pitney duet!!!

However

Spoiler

I'm not a massive fan of a film just abruptly ending - did he go through with it or leg it!?!? Sometimes they work but this felt, for me a bit of a bit of a let down.

(also - whenever I heard Farrell's character speak all I could hear was Father Dougal Maguire!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I thought the hotel scenes and the heartless woman were particularly brilliant.

I know you're also a big fan of Olivia Coleman and yet again she was superb - what a bizarre Gene Pitney duet!!!

However

Hide contents

I'm not a massive fan of a film just abruptly ending - did he go through with it or leg it!?!? Sometimes they work but this felt, for me a bit of a bit of a let down.

(also - whenever I heard Farrell's character speak all I could hear was Father Dougal Maguire!

Spoiler

I think he did, and I was actually really glad they didn't show if he did or not :)

Edited by Designer1

Â