The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Gal Gadot (who?!) to play Wonder Woman in Batman vs Superman.

Increasingly looks like WarnerBros want to'do an Avengers'but either don't have the faith in the characters or don't want to spend 4 years setting it up properly. So instead they're going to do all the set up in one movie.

It's going to be a train wreck.

Dredd is still bizarrely underrated as a film. Thoroughly excellent action film and a far better adaptation than the Stallone one...

Went and saw it at the cinema because I was bored too, great decision.

That's because Alex Garland was the screenwriter and he's absolutely brilliant. The Beach is one of my favourite books of all time.

I think the ending was a bit weak too. They should have saved the drug-induced slowdown plummet for the very end instead of using it right at the beginning and then reusing it, in my opinion.

Saw Gravity at IMAX yesterday. Thought it was really good.

Couple of minor plot issues but very good on the whole. The 3D was also excellent. The floating camera helped really immerse me in the experience.

Dredd is still bizarrely underrated as a film. Thoroughly excellent action film and a far better adaptation than the Stallone one...

Went and saw it at the cinema because I was bored too, great decision.

I think you need to at least be vaguely familiar with the 2000AD Dredd to "get" it. The idea of a hero who's not really a particularly nice man, and the whole ambivalence of "justice" in a horrific future world is something that would pass most people by unless they realised that the film is actually a pretty much perfect re-creation of the magazine concept of Dredd.

I thought it was excellent. The Stallone film was a disgrace: They cashed in on the "brand" without being the least bit true to the basic ideas behind the character.

A mate o' mine is in the credits for the Karl Urban film: He made the "high tech" glove that Dredd communicates with [the screen was added in post-production], and a few other bits and pieces visible for a few seconds each :)

Hunger Games Catching Fire - good. A little concerned that the final book has been split in two, so fans will have to now wait TWO WHOLE YEARS to see the not so great ending.

Carrie - some good performances, but ultimately unimpressive.

Hunger Games Catching Fire - good. A little concerned that the final book has been split in two, so fans will have to now wait TWO WHOLE YEARS to see the not so great ending.

Didn't know that. That's going to be an anti climax unless they significantly change the plot, imo.

3rd book was easily the weakest.

They'll tone down the violence as well, which was key.

watched " A Field in England" yesterday. 

Liked Sightseers a lot, also by the same director, but really, really could not get on board with this at all. Lost interest after ten minutes and trying to keep up with what was going on was impossible.

Worst film i've seen this year, though oddly enough Sightseers also remains one of my favourite films of the year so I'm currently very ambivalent towards Ben Wheatley. 

Edited by Rodders

Had a movie-marathon recently.

Monsters University - dull

Despicable Me 2 - not as good as the first one but still pretty enjoyable

Warm Bodies - pretty enjoyable

Tintin - I have no words for this horrendous pile of tosh

I'm Still Here - ditto

Life in a Day - fantastic

Broken - harrowing but compelling

Only God Forgives - stunning visuals, was expecting slightly more from it but I think my expectation was possibly too high after previous Refn/Gosling outings

The Sapphires - really enjoyable if you can get past the obvious Good Morning Vietnam comparisons

Celeste & Jesse Forever - good but not as good as it could have been

Malcolm X - 20 years after it came out I finally got round to it. Majorly flawed but fascinating nevertheless

The Worlds End - didn't laughter once (and I enjoyed hot fuzz and Shaun)

Before Midnight - really enjoyable end to a great trilogy.

Edited by choffer

Maybe a long shot, but - anyone in Bradford or Leeds want a ticket for 2 to a preview screening of 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty' for 17/12/13 which I can not use?

The ticket in question includes this ditty in the small print

There may be security using NightVisionGoggles in the cinema. If you attempt to use a recording device during this screening, you consent to your immediate removal from the venue and forfeiture of your recording device and its contents. Occasionally you may not be permitted to take mobile devices into the screening.

Night vision goggles! COOL!

I'm Still Here - ditto

Only God Forgives - stunning visuals, was expecting slightly more from it but I think my expectation was possibly too high after previous Refn/Gosling outings

The Sapphires - really enjoyable if you can get past the obvious Good Morning Vietnam comparisons

Malcolm X - 20 years after it came out I finally got round to it. Majorly flawed but fascinating nevertheless

good choice of films but I couldn't watch Before midnight. i got so bored of it. Liked the first two but not that one!

I'm Still Here - ditto

The only one of those I've seen is Tintin - and I thought it was great! 

• Like 4

There may be security using NightVisionGoggles in the cinema. If you attempt to use a recording device during this screening, you consent to your immediate removal from the venue and forfeiture of your recording device and its contents. Occasionally you may not be permitted to take mobile devices into the screening.

They can take your recording device?!!

I understand deleting the stuff on it.. but are they really allowed to steal someone's (potentially) £1,000 camcorder?

Not that i condone recording it in the cinema, just wondering if legally they can do/say that.

I agree with the first 3, Warm Bodies was much better than i expected.

But Before Midnight was awful compared to the first two films. 

Â