The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Why would 2 "good" super heroes be "versus" each other . That would be like Jesus v Muhammad or McGrath v Shaw . Mental.

Been done loads of times in the comics. The comic the film is inspired by sets it up by having Batman become an increasingly viscous righteous vigilante and Superman becoming a government agent/weapon. Eventually they come into conflict as Batman acts in the manner he feels is justified for the greater good while Superman acts 'for the man'who doesn't like what Batman is doing.

IIRC they had one storyline where Batman gets turned on by the entire Justice League when they discover he'd plotted contingency plans to take out all of his allies should they go rogue, including Superman.

In fairness all comic book team ups tend to have the heroes go toe to toe at some point.

Why would 2 "good" super heroes be "versus" each other . That would be like Jesus v Muhammad or McGrath v Shaw . Mental.

Been done loads of times in the comics. The comic the film is inspired by sets it up by having Batman become an increasingly viscous righteous vigilante and Superman becoming a government agent/weapon. Eventually they come into conflict as Batman acts in the manner he feels is justified for the greater good while Superman acts 'for the man'who doesn't like what Batman is doing.

IIRC they had one storyline where Batman gets turned on by the entire Justice League when they discover he'd plotted contingency plans to take out all of his allies should they go rogue, including Superman.

In fairness all comic book team ups tend to have the heroes go toe to toe at some point.

Sounds like the true winner is going to be the viewer.

# teamwonderwoman

• Like 2

IIRC they had one storyline where Batman gets turned on by the entire Justice League...

I can understand Wonder Woman, but Aquaman and Martian Manhunter do nothing for me.

Um, wouldn't Batman (basically a tricked out civilian) be annihilated in a matter of nanoseconds by Superman?

Yes. To get round that comics were they do fight effectively play up Superman as thick, Batman levelling the field by being smarter (supposed to be The World's Greatest Detective after all). Batman has a Krpytonite ring for such occasions, which I think Superman gave him, just in case.

Daft, I know.

Edited by Chindie

Um, wouldn't Batman (basically a tricked out civilian) be annihilated in a matter of nanoseconds by Superman?

Yes. To get round that comics were they do fight effectively play up Superman as thick, Batman levelling the field by being smarter (supposed to be The World's Greatest Detective after all). Batman has a Krpytonite ring for such occasions, which I think Superman gave him, just in case.

Daft, I know.

Yeah I think I'll be giving that one a miss then.

Daft, I know.

Yeah I think I'll be giving that one a miss then.

It's a comic book film, so there's a 90% chance it'll be shit anyway, silly plot or not.

• Like 1

If ever I was to get on the pitch at VP, like at half time of a match or something (I was thinking about this when they did that kick the ball in to the circle and win a prize thing at the Sunderland match), I would definitely do a shout out to my VT bros.

But I wouldn't just mention VillaTalk. Nor would I say 'Do her up the wrong un'. There wouldn't even be a reference to Thom Yorke. Oh no sir. I would instead say how rubbish comic book movies are. It's really becoming a staple of the VT diet.

If ever I was to get on the pitch at VP, like at half time of a match or something (I was thinking about this when they did that kick the ball in to the circle and win a prize thing at the Sunderland match), I would definitely do a shout out to my VT bros.

But I wouldn't just mention VillaTalk. Nor would I say 'Do her up the wrong un'. There wouldn't even be a reference to Thom Yorke. Oh no sir. I would instead say how rubbish comic book movies are. It's really becoming a staple of the VT diet.

It's true though isn't it? *standard winky face thingy*

I do like the Dark Knight movies but struggle to warm to anything else

The majority of them are rubbish but you get the occasional 'comic book' film that tries to do something interesting. The Nolan Batman films (even if they are flawed) are still, and I dare say will remain, the high point of the genre. The closest would be The Avengers, which is good fun but it plays things pretty safe, and Sin City, which is a different beast altogether. I also have a soft spot for Watchmen even if it does have some outrageously silly scenes.

All the Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America films, I've no interest in. Spiderman (Raimi) were decent but having re-watched them recently, they are a bit silly. No Superman film will really make me care about Superman, no matter how well made.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Who can tell me about Avengelyne? They're turning that comic in to a film, no idea what is really except a little look at wiki, but Gina Carrano is going to be the titular character. I wish she was still involved with MMA, especially as she'd get more exposure with the woman's divs now in UFC, but it seems she likes making movies better.

Could be great! Like that sci fi film with Cung Le in it!...

The majority of them are rubbish but you get the occasional 'comic book' film that tries to do something interesting. The Nolan Batman films (even if they are flawed) are still, and I dare say will remain, the high point of the genre. The closest would be The Avengers, which is good fun but it plays things pretty safe, and Sin City, which is a different beast altogether. I also have a soft spot for Watchmen even if it does have some outrageously silly scenes.

All the Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America films, I've no interest in. Spiderman (Raimi) were decent but having re-watched them recently, they are a bit silly. No Superman film will really make me care about Superman, no matter how well made.

Yeah, basically this.

Nolan Batman are comic book films done really right.

Avengers is an example of the best possible film you could get done in the way comic book films are generally done. It's the best of it's genre, imo, but it's never going to be better than actual good films.

The reason the Nolan Batman trilogy appeals to most people is because they're set in the real world. There are no supernatural powers and the bad guys are more akin to terrorists then supervillains who want to take over the world. They're a lot more gritty and relatable.

Then you have stuff like Marvel's recent movies which aren't so dark but more fantastical and require you to suspend your disbelief more. There's space in this world for both types of movies and I enjoy both in different ways.

• Like 1

Â