The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Day After Tomorrow was just so dull. The best 'apocalypse' movies focus on characters, which were the big gaping hole in the middle of that movie.

Daddy's coming to get you, son!

Oh, **** off.

Yes poor film. Just watched Drive and I thought that was a big let down. Poor script. Gosling looked comatose and worst performance ever by Cary Mulligan.

With such a high imdb rating and people telling me it was so good i expected more. the music was great. I have been a fan of gosling since the believer but in this he just played the same character as in Stay with violence. I'll have to see if hes any better in Blue Valentine now. Mind you i do like Michelle Williams.  i  love her in wendy and Lucy particularly.

Edited by PaulC

Had a quiet night in last night as I was recovering from Friday. Gave me a chance to relax on the sofa and have a movie marathon.

Avengers Assemble - 6/10 - just average... falls into the same category as Transformers and the last 30 mins of Man of Steel. ie just loud noises, fighting and destruction. You might as well have a firework go off in your face. 

Project X - 7/10 - enjoyable and a few laugh out loud moments,

Liar Liar - 7/10 - an old one but Carey is great in this. Haven't seen it since I saw it at the cinema. Not as good as I remember but still funny.

I actually liked The Day After Tomorrow :( I am a sucker for disaster films and I just enjoy Dennis Quaid too much and Jake Gyllenhal is watchable too.Could probably have hated it if those two weren't in it tbh. A bit like 'Core' - thanks to Aaron Eckhart I was probably inappropriately generous in my view of it.  

I didn't think it was a good film but it was watchable. Some times I like movies which have very poor ratings. I just watched  "girlfriend" about a boy with down's syndrome who romantically pursues a single mom. Simple story but well acted and tastefully done but to read the reviews you wouldn't bother watching it.

Just watched Indie Game the Movie which was on last night.  A very interesting look at the development of independent computer games.  I couldn't help but noticed how depressed the games makers all appeared to be.

Watched man of steel and was so let down. Its awful and i can only assume batman v superman will be one of the worst things ever made.

Also watched prisioners and thought it was absoutly fantastic, great performances and great directing, really had me on edge and guessing all through the movie.

• Like 1

Usually I'd agree but Ben Affleck?

Haha I think it's going to be an interesting one.

Here's Charles Roven's, who is one fo the producer, reasoning behind the casting choice -

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/20/superman-vs-batman-producer-explains-why-the-hell-they-cast-ben-affleck-4194347/

The producer explained that it is the intention that Affleck’s Batman look like a sage, battle-weary hero in comparison to Henry Cavill’s Superman.

‘We wanted a guy who had a certain age and a certain gravitas to what he had done in terms of his recent work,’ he told Variety.

‘If you take a look at The Town and Argo, he plays a couple of serious guys in those movies. He’s a big man. He’s also a mature man.

‘As you see him and Henry together, one definitely has much more experience just by looking at him. That’s what we wanted, particularly juxtaposed against our Superman.’

Superman vs Batman will be a sequel to Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, on which Roven also served as a producer.

He continued: ‘We felt that we accomplished our goals with Man of Steel. Our intention was to bring Superman into the 21st century with a contemporary character and a different kind of superhero than what’s out there right now.’

As for how easy it will be to actually bring Batman into the Man of Steel world, Roven said: ‘We knew we had created a world and we had left Easter eggs in the movie that let people know that in the universe that Zack [snyder] was creating, there was the possibility of other DC characters besides Clark Kent.

‘We had a sketch of an idea, the beats of a story that David Goyer worked on with Zack. We have a first draft, and we’re continuing to work with it.

‘Those scripts are never fully finished until the movie is in the theaters. We love the characters – we think that Ben is going to be a really great and interesting Batman.’

Another producer, Daniel Alter, tweeted that Affleck's Batman is now "controlling drones from the Batcave", but I don't know how reliable that piece of information is.

But, just a guess, I get the impression it's going to be quite a downplayed, no barking, kind of Batman, and I think Ben Affleck could pull that off.
Edited by 8pints

Usually I'd agree but Ben Affleck?

Haha I think it's going to be an interesting one.

Here's Charles Roven's, who is one fo the producer, reasoning behind the casting choice -

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/20/superman-vs-batman-producer-explains-why-the-hell-they-cast-ben-affleck-4194347/

The producer explained that it is the intention that Affleck’s Batman look like a sage, battle-weary hero in comparison to Henry Cavill’s Superman.

‘We wanted a guy who had a certain age and a certain gravitas to what he had done in terms of his recent work,’ he told Variety.

‘If you take a look at The Town and Argo, he plays a couple of serious guys in those movies. He’s a big man. He’s also a mature man.

‘As you see him and Henry together, one definitely has much more experience just by looking at him. That’s what we wanted, particularly juxtaposed against our Superman.’

Superman vs Batman will be a sequel to Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, on which Roven also served as a producer.

He continued: ‘We felt that we accomplished our goals with Man of Steel. Our intention was to bring Superman into the 21st century with a contemporary character and a different kind of superhero than what’s out there right now.’

As for how easy it will be to actually bring Batman into the Man of Steel world, Roven said: ‘We knew we had created a world and we had left Easter eggs in the movie that let people know that in the universe that Zack [snyder] was creating, there was the possibility of other DC characters besides Clark Kent.

‘We had a sketch of an idea, the beats of a story that David Goyer worked on with Zack. We have a first draft, and we’re continuing to work with it.

‘Those scripts are never fully finished until the movie is in the theaters. We love the characters – we think that Ben is going to be a really great and interesting Batman.’

Another producer, Daniel Alter, tweeted that Affleck's Batman is now "controlling drones from the Batcave", but I don't know how reliable that piece of information is.

But, just a guess, I get the impression it's going to be quite a downplayed, no barking, kind of Batman, and I think Ben Affleck could pull that off.

I actually quite like affleck at the moment but I think he's an idiot for taking this role. In his award winning speeches for Argo he thanked the industry for giving him another chance, just as he's earning respect he's going to become a bit of a joke again.

If this film was going to be in the Nolan batman films style I'd be excited but after watching man of steel I just can't see anything but a poor movie.

I can't watch Indie Game the Movie without my brain constantly reminding me that both Blow and Fish are pretentious dicks.

Blow is very pretentious but I think Fish is just a but mental.

Fish may be a little mental but he's certainly a pretentious arse too.

Â