The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I saw the newest Percy Jackson film. I agree with Villa4Europe. It was not well done at all. I really liked the first one but this one was fairly disappointing. 

The Conjuring was awesome! It's been a long time since a scary movie has been....scary. The story and acting were also really well done. 

The worlds end was an upset. I mean there were still several moments that cracked me up. But it just wasn't that good a movie and the ending was terrible. I do recommend the soundtrack though. 

I watched Now You See Me last night. With the exception of the last 5 minutes being sappy I really liked this movie. It was funny, clever, well acted, and it actually took me a bit to figure out the "twist"

Has anyone seen 2 Guns? I was really interested in that but haven't heard much about it. 

Glad theres others interested in Rush. Looks brilliant, and that whole era, and those 2 'characters' in particular, are fascinating.

You could do a pretty good biopic of Hunt alone to be honest so the story of the most infamous point of his and Lauda's careers done well (which Howard generally is) is something to savour.

Glad theres others interested in Rush. Looks brilliant, and that whole era, and those 2 'characters' in particular, are fascinating.

You could do a pretty good biopic of Hunt alone to be honest so the story of the most infamous point of his and Lauda's careers done well (which Howard generally is) is something to savour.

I was interested in F1 for about 5 years before losing interest and don't know my history, but that really looks great.

Saw Elysium and We're The Millers today. We're The Millers was predictable, but had it's moments and I really enjoyed Elysium. Sharlto Copley was great.

Have watched these three during the last 3 days:

Iron Man 3: Always entertaining. Wouldn't be the same without RDJR. 7/10.

Mad Max: Road Warrior: Yep, better than the first one, but still not awesome. Decent. 6/10

Argo: Wasn't at all what I expected it to be. But then again, I hadn't read anything about it before I watched it, more than a few recommendations. I like to watch a movie that I don't know that much about before I watch it. It was very good, indeed. 8.5/10.

just reading up on peaky blinders, saw the writer (he also wrote eastern promises) is doing a film called locke, with Tom Hardy, Olivia Colman and its about driving from brum to London, with extensive artsy shots of spaghetti junction and the surrounding area to start the film off...

• Like 1

Went to see Pain & Gain today, walked out after 45 minutes. I have never in my life done that before. Possibly the worst 45 minutes of cinema I've ever seen.

Sorry that you wasted your money, but I applaud the fact you walked out. **** Michael Bay.

Back from Elysium

Quite liked it despite a few obvious flaws ... It was good without being great

Couldn't work out if Jodie Foster was supposed to be playing a Brit for her role as the typical Hollywood bad person ... Her accent seemed to change every time she spoke

Clearly see the district 9 influence , but that's no bad thing .... But now he's had his blockbuster flirt , let's have the District 9 sequel please

Kings of Summer.

Absolutely brilliant little indie film, another of those coming of age films but its so well done its hard not to be charmed by it.

Lead actor is good and must be destined for better things but the real show stealer is Biaggio, haven't laughed at a movie character so hard since McLovin in Superbad.

9/10 for me

Back from Elysium

Quite liked it despite a few obvious flaws ... It was good without being great

Couldn't work out if Jodie Foster was supposed to be playing a Brit for her role as the typical Hollywood bad person ... Her accent seemed to change every time she spoke

Clearly see the district 9 influence , but that's no bad thing .... But now he's had his blockbuster flirt , let's have the District 9 sequel please

I'm certain that Foster originally spoke with a French accent in the movie which was subsequently redubbed. Every line of hers sounds like it was hastily rerecorded with a bizarre faint accent.

Blood diamond - 8 out of 10. Very enjoyable. Di caprio gets the accent spot on.

Aliens - 9.5 out of 10. The best in the series. Seen this film way to many times. Love it.

Vertigo - 8 out of 10. Not my favourite hitchcock movie but still very good.

The prestige - 9.5 out of 10. The best film of the 00's?! Has to be there alongside there will be blood. Simply brilliant.

Blow - 7 out of 10. Good film not brilliant. Worth a watch.Wish johnny depp made more films like this and donnie brasco. Wasted talent. Made way too many shite movies

Edited by donnie
  • Like 1

donnie, on 12 Sept 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

I thought he did a good job to ..but my yarpie mates all reckoned it was dreadful

Aliens - 9.5 out of 10. The best in the series. Seen this film way to many times. Love it.

Vertigo - 8 out of 10. Not my favourite hitchcock movie but still very good.

The prestige - 9.5 out of 10. The best film of the 00's?! Has to be there alongside there will be blood. Simply brilliant.

Blow - 7 out of 10. Good film not brilliant. Worth a watch.Wish johnny depp made more films like this and donnie brasco. Wasted talent. Made way too many shite movies

I looked at the marks out of ten and thought 'this guy likes to mark generously'. Then I looked at the films. It is a list of really good films :)

I liked The Prestige but it doesn't come close to being the 'best of the 00s'.

List time?

I'll think on it.

If we talking only Hollywood movies it has to be up there along with:

There will be blood

Road to perdition

The departed

No country for old men

The prestige is up there with all of the above. Better then anything else nolan done including memento.

All imo of course....

Edited by donnie

The thing that added to The Prestige's, err, prestige is that it came out of nowhere with zero hoopla about it. People watched it and it was way better than they expected. I love when a film does that and some of my favourite films are my favourites precisely because they came out of left field.

Â