school days

ianrobo1

good or bad  

62 members have voted

1. 1. good or bad

• good
    • bad

I'm probably the opposite of Ian in that I tend to look back on it as a golden era, and I wonder if perhaps I'm supressing memories of when I hated it. But I don't think so. I really did enjoy it all except for a couple of years when I was 13/14 - totaly agree with Michelsen, it was puberty that made life difficult.

The two years in the 6th form were possibly the happiest of my life (although I have to say I'm pretty happy right now).

I got on better with the teachers than the other students there which tells you all you need to know about how I enjoyed it :( quite a few kids there I swear I'd probably half smile if they actually got killed. I know thats wrong and bitter etc, but a couple of kids at my middle school and secondary made life hell at times. you shouldn't have regrets but 10/10 times I'd love to re-do school times and just be confident through it, have self respect etc. Then there were the usual pointless school rules I'd manage to break. I'd avoid the CCF thing and cite my pacificsm when I was 16, got into detention a couple of times when I refused to march up and down for two hours bored out of my head. They gave up eventually though and I was allowed to just play tennis o squash instead.

Same with all the re classes - my teacher was quite nice but frustrated he never got me to listen. By and large I was a very quiet kid at school but at RE I was vocally sarky about it in class. I never took the exams seriously because it was impossible, and I think I failed my gcse in it due to writing about the commercial elements of chritstianity at all and wondering where the dinosaurs fitted in. Being forced to sit through morning assembly and getting into trouble for theatrically falling asleep through it, and when asked why i didn't turn up the occasional sunday service usually bring out the atheist line - trying to often bring this line up anytime one of the muslim or hindu kids was in the room at the same time as they were of course naturally excused whereas perceived apathy with christianity was evidently another matter.

I lost all motivaiton to do anything in the last two years - except some dofe which was good fun actually good memories of that - went with my best mate and couple of tools - nice but just really daft people - and of course there are good memories which I remember. Stuff like the whole class being put in detention for having all suffered a massive giggling fit due to the spanish teacher wearing wonky glasses and us asking the meaning for words like "crooked" and "glasses" and " i am wearing crooked glasses" ( one of the few :crylaugh: moments I guess ) convincing the latin teacher - a rally cool guy to let us watch life of brian in class due to that one scene, and another rare highlight : when everyone in the school was doing a cross country run - some charity I think ( I paid my bit btw ) and me and my mate started off whilst the teachers were still in view ans casually arced ourselves away at the nearest blindspot ( after about 200 yards ) got in hims mums car and went back to his to play compluter games for a bit ) before turning up later in the afternoon with macdonalds sandwich in hand to the bemusement of a couple of teachers.

I suppose I can remember a few highlights and good times with the select few people I got on with and indeed continue to be friends with today but by and large I'm not sure they outweigh the generaly dislike I had the feeling of not wanting to go in and at times just being so unhappy. But who knows it seems plenty of people felt like that over school days

I'm probably the opposite of Ian in that I tend to look back on it as a golden era, and I wonder if perhaps I'm supressing memories of when I hated it. But I don't think so. I really did enjoy it all except for a couple of years when I was 13/14 - totaly agree with Michelsen, it was puberty that made life difficult.

Basically the same here... middle school sucked ass. High school (14-18 in the States) though was great: got along well with my fellow students and teachers.

Of course, I have an atypical high school experience: my year was only 27 kids, which kind of prevented major cliques from developing, and there being huge amounts of competition for sports or being in the band, etc. (I do regret never trying out for basketball or joining the band, actually). The last couple of years do rank way up there on my list of happiest years of my life.

It is interesting to see my old mates on facebook... I suspect that I'm the biggest surprise (given that I was voted "most likely to succeed" and dropped out of Uni... of course the girl whom I shared the title with is moving up the GE PR/marketing ranks at a fairly rapid clip, so I guess batting .500 isn't that surprising) for everyone else, though.

I've had mixed experiences of it, more down to my own failings I guess.

Primary school I by and large enjoyed. I was the smartest in the class, had a little group of mates who all had their areas of expertise (the sporty one, the joker, etc etc, if it wasn't real it'd be be clichéd) and we were a tight nit group, we'd have a scuffle and later on be messing about. I was crap at every sport around except rounders, but played with a half arsed interest. I remember that I could never take being wrong and it would actually upset me if I was. Then of course there are the stories, the teacher who went mental one day after being in the wrong and had a subsequent breakdown, we were a well behaved class but if we wanted to could be evil. The supply teacher who gave us all a creepy feeling that, with our innocence gone in later years we were convinced was probably a kiddie fiddler. Taking up cross country running and finishing 92nd (of 92) and never running again... good times all the same.

Secondary school was different. I was one of the only people from my class to go to Great Barr, everyone else buggered off to Streetly and Barr Beacon. I was still amongst the smartest and developed new friendships that last till this day, though not so close anymore, but it was a harder time too. I was too straight laced for my own good, I'd desperately avoid trouble and still endeavoured to be the best in the class at everything bar sports, promptly being lumped into group 3 for PE, the group for the people who are crap but will try and never succeed to achieve anything. Tried to keep my head down mostly, my mates were very much 'school' mates, outside of that I barely saw them till Year 10 or so, which stopped me being quite so close to them as I might have been. I was never actually bullied, though there were times where I was really down. Still, I had fun, and as I got towards the end of it I got more defiant and had the ability to feign confidence that served me well enough.

6th form was great. I was someone who got on with everyone, we were fairly close and while people still had their circle of friends, their borders broke and became less defined, more free time together. Table football every free (sorry study ;))period, becoming the master of the angled shot, football on the field, messabout cricket, it was great. I had times were I wondered if it was really for me, my efforts droppd off and at times I could have walked out of the place and not come back because it just seemed pointless. I didn't know if I wanted to go to uni, I couldn't be that bothered doing work outside of lessons besides essays and coursework, and I was a lot more interested in my social life. Stopped caring a bit really. But a really good time. My results weren't great. I think this time is probably whats defined me most as person, I stopped being the best and stopped really wanting to be, and I grew into someone who was more easy going but also less of a push over. A history teacher once said of me, not thinking it'd get to me from the confines of the staff room, I was 'an angry young man', and while thats not a nice thing to say and wrong to boot, I took some pride in the fact I wasn't the simpering lifeless swot I once was anymore.

Uni has been a laugh, I'm still not doing as much work as I should do and I'm still not 100% commited to making every lecture and so on. But still, I'm doing well and I'm enjoying it, my social life is great, my love life is awful and every now and then I get very down about it, but we've had some great times in the year and a half so far. Worst period was in the first year, I fell out with everyone I had got close to in my flat and was, for a good month or so, just left to myself. Horrible month, I wanted to leave desperately. But then met a girl, had a brief but fun relationship, and met some of the best mates I've ever had. The end of the first year was an incredible month or so, kinda summed up by a day we all decided to climb up to a rocky outcrop on the hill that bookends the town and just sat up there in the sun looking out to see and watching the beach, it was surreal, one of those moments that will just sit in my mind forever. The place has made me grow up, it's revealed some of my worst features and my best (I still can't take being wrong, and I can't take regret, it makes me feel awful), I still get quite down sometimes, but the great times are so much better.

I think the 3 years from 17 to now will be the ones I look back on in a few years and think thats the time that made me and I enjoyed the most. Your school days are the better ones of your life, I reckon, but we forget that at times, they were horrible. I'm only 20 and I can sometimes look back with nostaliga at stuff... 5 years ago, and think they were better than they were. At times I was a wreck, with worry and stress. But I'll forget those, because the good times and the stories ('that time so and so did this or that') were great. the years before 17 I think wasted a lot, for fear of stepping out of line. But these last 3 years have been near perfect and made me who I am. If only I knew where it was taking me.

didn't really enjoy secondary school, but didn't hate it either.

i was a quiet lad, and most of it just passed me by in a haze.

wasn't into sports, had a few friends but wasn't really social, didn't really do anything much.

(now college & uni were much better!! :) )

Enjoyed my school days I have to admit.

And Facebook has resulted in a lot of the banter occuring again, with some rather scary photo's be pasted on there from the mid 80's.

Incidentally, if it wasn't for my school days, I wouldn't have met my wife.

I absolutely loved school. I'd go back in time in a second.

I can see why people can hate it. I think it helped that I went to a good school and was pretty academic and was in the rugby team which made school more fun.

The only down side to school was that you didn't get paid.

Can understand the lessons were perhaps boring, and as a kid you can't see the relevance of it, but endless hours with your mates, flirting with the girls and playing sport all the time - Man, those were the days.

endless hours with your mates, flirting with the girls and playing sport all the time

not if you went to a all boys school :cry:

i think people remember the good stuff, but forget the bad stuff.

boring lessons

bad teachers

kids you didn't like & they didn't like you

having to try & be cool

having to play sports when you really didn't want to

I miss it a bit - I liked in a sporting sense being the big fish - which without blowing my own trumpet too much, I was. I enjoyed playing 4-5 times a week and I enjoyed using it as a reason why I didnt do my Art/History/Geography or whatever and usually it was accepted.

Theres a lot I dont miss - individual people mainly - but it tainted the whole thing. I dont miss having to do certain subjects I felt irrelevant to where my life was always heading (humanites subjects when I'd never have gone anywhere but the scientific route) and I dont miss the weeks spent away from home sharing a room with a smelly Chinese person and an Iranian.

Really enjoyed my school days although don't think I realised how much at the time.

Can always remember my parents saying that the school days are the best of your life and thinking yeh right but looking back now they were great days. Spending hours with friends, no responsibility and discovering the opposite sex. Absolutley fantastic.

Its just a shame that the years since have flown by.

I'm still best mates now with all the lads i was best mates at school with (i'm 21).

When i was at school i used to hate it most of the time, i hate being told what to do and don't like authority. I didn't do any homework for about the last 2 years :lol: I was the kid who was bright but messed about, the class clown always playing up to my mates, always distracting others and loved being the centre of attention. Not being bigheaded but at times i found the work too easy and boring which resulted in me pratting about.

Most of the teachers hated me, apart from my English and P.E. teacher because they were the only subjects i liked. My Geography teacher was a Villa fan but he hated me, mainly because there was a lad in my class called Luke Portsmouth and me and my mate used to spend every lesson singing oh when the saints go marching in at him and we lassooed him with the Christmas baubles off the wall. I remember he wrote in my report 'James decided it would be funny to rip the christmas decorations off the wall and lassoo them round someone's head like a Cowboy'. I'm sure he didn't mean it to be funny that comment but it tickled me.

One of the things that stands out now looking back was me and my mates used to go to the shops every dinnertime and we'd buy the Daily Sport everyday to read the stories people had sent in. We always maintained they were made up so we decided to write our own, we chose the subject of 'I nailed my best friend's mom'. We wrote it that we went round to his house but he wasn't in, she invited us in etc etc. Anyway i remember after we'd wrote it i decided to get it out my bag in Maths, iw as sat at the front of the class and i turned round in my seat and started reading it out to the whole class. I read the whole story with phrases like 'I inserted my mutton dagger into her dripping wet snatchet', our teacher just sat at her desk shaking her head and at the time we had two inpsector type blokes sat in the corner of the class looking shocked and making notes. I always wondered what they wrote down, 'Boy read out a graphic sex story to whole class. It seems he's having an affair with his friend's mom'.

Looking back i would still hate the homework, most of the teachers and the swotty/stuck up kids but i do miss the craic. I could fill a book with the stuff we got up to and the tales i've got

Anyway i remember after we'd wrote it i decided to get it out my bag in Maths, iw as sat at the front of the class and i turned round in my seat and started reading it out to the whole class. I read the whole story with phrases like 'I inserted my mutton dagger into her dripping wet snatchet', our teacher just sat at her desk shaking her head and at the time we had two inpsector type blokes sat in the corner of the class looking shocked and making notes.
Jesus H. Christ, I keep hearing that school discipline isn't what it used to be but that is staggering. COULDN'T have happened in my day. You sat down and shut up, or else.

Loved school. Learned a lot at infants and junior school was a bit of a swot I guess, always finished first or second in class!. Secondary School, unfortunately messed about and wasted my education, discovered boys, only liked sport really, but LOVED it, it was one huge social event to me - lessons were secondary! I regret it a bit now - should've listened more and tried harder! Anyway, then went to tech for a couple of years to try to pick up some more qualifications! Loved school though, no worries in those days.

just remembered another fun moment from my school days .... My school banned football scarves as we used to have North V South wars with them whereby you tied a knot in one end and played agame similar to "Bulldog" but with whacking people with your football scarf ...

happy days ..funny thing was , there were f**k all Chelsea fans in those days (my school is was in Surrey) ..glory hunting bastards

Â