school days

ianrobo1

good or bad  

62 members have voted

1. 1. good or bad

• good
    • bad

just having a wander through facebook and checking on peopel from my old school I was thinking whether I was right about my school days

I left 6th form 19 years this May and throughout this time I never looked back at my school days with any particular fondness, TBH I hated it at times

but when I look back at old pictures and long lost names I don;t know but I think I may have enjoyed it more than my memory allows for

distance is a great healer and when you look back it was easy to be at school than ever at work

I never liked school. Wasn't bullied or anything like that....I just wasn't academic at all. I don't keep in contact with anyone fom my school days, although one or two are friends on facebook.

I could've written that post myself Ian, albeit with better proofreading. At the time I felt that I didn't enjoy them, mainly because I was always in trouble for not doing homework and perpetually in fear of the upcoming lesson where I had to hand it in. That said, I miss the cameraderie and the banter. I remember when Blackadder was on, we'd all talk about it and quote it for the following week until the next episode.

Loved it all, the constant sport after school, playing all over the country for district and county at footie, rugby, b'ball and athletics what was there to hate.

Mates you thought you would see every day. From Arrowcrest -Walkwood - Bridley Moor and then 6th form up here at LSA they really were great days.

Might be the reason to have a look at that there facebook thing.

Learning has always come easy to me, so I always enjoyed the academic side of it except from maths which I didn't really have a problem understanding but I just wasn't interested. Social studies, history, language, P.E. etc, I absolutely loved from my first year to my last. I was always going to go on to university level, given my acedemic nature.

The social side of it was good too, especially before and after puberty. Puberty was just a mess of sexual frustration and struggling to break in with the 'popular kids'. I was always decent at football, and a pretty likeable fella once you got to know me, so I got through alright. I always had a group of mates who were all good people. I'm slowly losing touch with many of them though, as we're spread all around the world doing different things. That's the beauty of Facebook, I suppose, you always know what's going on with your old mates and you can get in touch with them any time (I just can't be bothered, for some reason. You get new friends and move on, I guess).

So my answer would certainly be 'good', even if I probably enjoy life even more now.

loved it ..amazed at how much I got away with when i look back at it ..had this knack of being in the wrong but sorta giving a cheeky grin and getting away with it ..maybe a precursor to Dom's wink :-) ..once in class I stole this kids box of spare ink cartridges that he'd even written his name on .. I scrubbed out his name and wrote mine on it ..he told the teacher ..who looked at the obvious clue on the box and said to him ..Oh Grant stop being such a big baby

I was good at sport so the male teachers cut me a lot of slack as well ..you'd be surprised how detention gets cancelled because there is an important football match after school they want you to play in

I'd go back and do it all again , if only because i was often too stupid to see when a girl in my school was flirting with me ... the question " What are you doing tonight , accompanied by some eyelids fluttering ? " ..should not have been met with the answer ..I'm going off to play footie with me mates

Skule was grate for all the rong reasons.

You remember all the times you wagged it and didn't get caught. Going into a pub at 13 and being carried out on the shoulder of a 6ft+ burly biker telling you they didn't sell curlywurlys, and going back a couple of months later getting served, waggin skule to play squash (strange but true), driving a cricket ball directly into the teachers guts who was standing umpire, smoking around the bikesheds, or in the fields, or sometimes in the toilets, cheating in exams, getting everyone to write random rubbish in their RE exams ( and getting the whole class in detention for it - oh boy I was popular), smiling your way through it, getting caught smoking for the first time when you are legally old enough to smoke and still getting a detention (not served - as per tony's excuse - if you're needed in the team - you are too busy to write lines), bumping into teachers in the pub at lunch time, turning up for the team photo covered in blood after an lunchtime drinking session went wrong, winning the intra year six-a-side footie with the weakest team around, sat in the back of a car, with 6 other people, crashing on the way back from a lunchtime pub visit (driver was sober though distraught).

I was probably a disruptive influence and should have been removed, but apart from the lessons tended to enjoy myself.

I only left a couple of years ago and since then I have had a couple of years off and I am now back with part time work and college. School is shit and always was for me, yes you make friends but I am only in contact with about 4 of them now. I was fairly grown up for my age and I couldn't stand half the dickheads there. College/Uni allows you much more freedom and although nobody really likes working it gives me money and I can do pretty much whatever I want at this age without having to worry about too many bills.

Id take working life over school life anyday! Schools the best days of your life I was always told.. Bollocks.

Guest Ricardomeister

It depends which school you went to I suppose. I was lucky enough to go to King Edward's Edgbaston which is generally regarded as one of the best in the country. The academic and sports facilities were great. There was no overt discipline....you knew how you were supposed to behave but you were treated like adults. Although there was a certain academic pressure it was a great place to learn.

Proper good times. Did no work just pissed about the whole time. All the teachers branded me as having no chance because I just **** about every day. So many good laughs and quality memories and at the end of it I got 2 As 3 Bs and the rest were Cs and next year I'm picking up my degree, hopeless was I?

Funny thing is I saw one of those teachers tonight, he seemed shocked I was doing well, I seemed shocked when he was getting off with one of my friends. Dirty dog.

Don't think I'll ever have a time as happy as High School (12-16 for Worcestershire). I loved every single last minute of it. My lifelong school friends and I are moving on now and many of which I wont see very often at all again and it makes me very sad. I look back nostalgically obviously, but loved it at the time too.

Apart from double maths. I could handle single maths, but double maths...

Â