The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Real Madrid are my tip to win the Spanish league, and that irrespective of whether they sign Bale or not. I think they will be a more settled squad without all the drama that Mourinho brings.

Great tip, I would have never thought of it... ;)

Well some would of gone for Barca to win it, infact I have just gone on oddschecker which lists the odds of 25 bookies and 11 of them have Barca as favourites to retain their title. :P

I don't think you can act all nostradamus by picking the winner in a two horse race.  

It's like when some friends of mine swore that they knew my baby was going to be a boy, being correct on a 50/50 shot isn't impressive! 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At 50/1 they're definitely worth a cheeky fiver if only to add interest to the season. Even if they don't ultimately go down, it'll be interesting to see how close they come (and who knows, as Zat says, it has happened before). I suppose it depends how well they invest their money or whether they plough it all into inevitable debts.

Crappy league with zero entertainment value and zero competition.

Not only you know who are the two teams that will fight for the title, you also know they'll win 90% of their matches, whether playing 18th place or 3rd. It's no wonder the whole league is collapsing.

To emphasis this - in the 2011/12 season, the gap between 2nd place Barcelona and 3rd place Valencia was 30 points (91 to 61). The gap between 3rd place Valencia and 19th place Spoting Gijon (out of 20 teams) was 24 points (61 to 27). In other words - BORING!!!!

• Like 1

Disagree myself.

For example Sevilla vs Atletico tonight isn't set in stone that Atletico will win, Sevilla have recruited well this summer and looked very impressive vs United in preseason.

Real Sociedad are a great team to watch; young, energetic great counter attacking team and in recent time have done well, Valencia are building under Dukic, Sevilla have a good manager in Unai Emery and as said before recruited well.

Whilst the top two have somewhat taken the sting out of the competitiveness of the league it is far from "crap".

Also whilst there is little money involved outside the big two to see "homegrown players" taking part in matches is quite interesting to see potentially the next Mata or Ramos.

The situation of the league regarding TV money especially I agree is bad but if you actually watch the games you'll find entertainment is there outside the big two.

i hate that criticism of la liga, only 2 teams can win the league, as opposed to the prem where all 20 can?

there are plenty of good teams lower down the table, its only been 2 years since bilbao dominated utd (twice) the relegation battle is great more or less every season, as is the race for 4th which is certainly more interesting than the prems

What I still like about La Liga is at least below the top 2 there's always different teams challenging to finish in the other two positions rather than the closed shop that is the prem. You certainly can't predict a top 6 that is set in stone.

That said just looked at the Valencia-Malaga line ups and said to see two of the teams you'd expect to be fighting for top 6 really having mediocre line ups this season.

Malaga obviously have big financial trouble so I think Pellegrini did brilliant to keep them as competitive as they did. With Santa Cruz leading the line I think they'll struggle this season. Valencia signed Postiga to be their leading striker this season so can't see them doing a huge amount this year either.

To be expected given the difference in resources available to the sides. Football is never going to be a level playing field but it's reached joke proportions in Spain. Just look at this summer, Barca and Real strengthen again and pretty much everybody else who finished in the top six last season lost their best player.

It's not shocking to me when that team is Barcelona.   Just looking back at their results in La Liga over the past three seasons they have put at least five goals past an opponent on 20 occasions, they have won 7-0 twice (including today) and 8-0 twice.  They are so far ahead of the competition it's almost pointless that teams even play them any more. The Spanish league has reached the point where they might as well just have Barcelona play Real Madrid home and away and award the title to the team who has the highest aggregate score.  It would save us all a lot of time. 

Â