The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I'd say the 3rd biggest club in Spain is Atlético Madrid. I know we have the age old argument of how you decide on how big a club is. Valencia would be the only one I think could argue the case, but I'd say Atlético sneak it.

dont know. 8 league titles, 23 cups for Bilbao all with a team from a small population to choose from. 10 major trophies more than Atleti or Valencia. plus as i said never been relegated either.

also a new 55000 seater stadium they will probably fill everyweek

I love Athletic Bilbao. I love their philosophy; how they go about it and that they have an ethos long since gone in most/all clubs. Nothing would please me more than to see them return to the sharp end of the table. They've flirted with relegation in the recent past and have recently looked like they've steadied the ship. Hopefully they can start to compete again, but their self-imposed restrictions on player recruitment do make it very hard to get; and then to keep hold of; many top stars.

• Like 1

Third biggest club in Spain is a bit like being the third biggest club in Scotland or the third biggest band of cola.  You are so far behind the top two that you are largely irrelevant.  

9u0n2ku.jpg

TV money in Spain at the moment.  Atletico Madrid have a green bar because the graph was taken from an article about Atletico which you can find here if you are interested. 

• Like 1

Barcelona and Madrid earn 10x more TV money than 2/5 of the rest of the Spanish league. As if they didn't have enough of an advantage already. At least the English clubs don't have that much of an advantage over their rivals. 

Negredo scored 4 times to send Sociedad to Champions League   :hooray:  a team with a brilliant youth setup and who have only paid fees for something like 3 of their current squad

• Like 1

Negredo scored 4 times to send Sociedad to Champions League   :hooray:  a team with a brilliant youth setup and who have only paid fees for something like 3 of their current squad

Can see them being raided for their players tbh.. Hopefully they can hold on to them.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Had a soft spot for them ever since the 2002/03 when they ran Madrid so close for the title. Nihat and Darko Kovacevic were a brilliant strike partnership that year. Great achievement for them after a difficult last 5 years.

I've always thought it is more than a bit shit how the playoff teams are treated in the Segunda Division. We won't know the identity of the 3rd promoted side until this Saturday (Almeria v Girona. First leg tonight (Wednesday)). Strictly speaking, the transfer window doesn't open until July 1st, but we all know that transfers can happen long before that and these playoff sides are seriously hampered by not being able to decide on a transfer budget well into June. And we thought it was hard on the English Championship playoff winner.

Â