The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Its the worst organised league in Europe though. Going to a game in Spain is a lottery as they dont deceide on kick-off time until 4 or 5 days before kick-off

btw unless Real Madrid or Barcelona no teams have budgets as rely on frees and loans :(

Well yes it's true that they're all financially screwed but that's a consequence of the league's financial structure rather than any justification of it's schedule :) It is a rotten league alright.

im sure Hunter said last season that if you go in to administration then you are automatically relegated and because of that spanish football is built like a house of cards, once a few go and take the punishment then a whole host will follow (im sure he said that as many as the bottom 15 could go in to adminstration at any point)

Of all the ridiculous sackings that have happened across Europe over the last 5 years, I would say the Ancelotti was the most ridiculous. He wins them the league and fa cup double in his first season and after his 2nd season gets sacked. It's good he has now got himself another top job.

Of all the ridiculous sackings that have happened across Europe over the last 5 years, I would say the Ancelotti was the most ridiculous. He wins them the league and fa cup double in his first season and after his 2nd season gets sacked. It's good he has now got himself another top job.

as he was forced out id add Jupp Heynckes to being more ridiculous

as he was forced out id add Jupp Heynckes to being more ridiculous

Nah, cant agree there and I'll just repeat a post I made in the thread about him to explain why. 

Heynckes is 68 years of age. He has made noises about retirement last summer and while he may have changed his mind because the season went so well for him what happens if he decides he wants to retire next year?

Bayern found themselves in a situation where they had a manager who's long term commitment was questionable during a period where Guardiola and Mourinho (even if it was "only" an open secret in Mourinho's case) were available. Both of those guys were going to be signing long year deals with somebody in 2013 so I guess Bayern felt they had to move rather than potentially enter 2014 up shit creek without a paddle.  Nobody is bigger than the club and that includes the manager. Bayern Munich did what they felt was right for Bayern Munich. 

Malaga will be retiring Isco's shirt in honour of his performances for the club when they sell him to Real Madrid. He has had a long distinguished career at Malaga - 69 games. That's almost as bad a guard of honour for Ryan Nelson after only 5 months at QPR - almost.

Andres Iniesta has shelled out €240k of his own money to pay the wages of his hometown club Albacete so they don't get relegated (presumably due to some points deduction thing like happens here with clubs who go into administration.) 

I'm always conflicted when stuff like this happens.  Its great that players who make it big remember where they came from and are prepared to give something back, but the fact that it is even possible speaks volumes about how wrong the distribution of money is in the modern game. 

• Like 1

And it means a club who would have benefitted from Albacete's financial mismanagement are denied a place in that league because of outside influence. So I'm conflicted too.

I don't think that it takes anything away from Iniesta, but obviously you have to sympathise with such clubs.

Does anyone know if there's a confirmed date for La Liga's fixture list announcement?  I'm hoping that I can finally get across to watch a Barça game sometime next season.

• 3 weeks later...
Â