Running

trimandson

I did some HIIT the other day, first time in a while. Quite enjoyed it.

Basically jogging for 1 minute, sprinting for 30 seconds. Did this for about 20 minutes (10 or so cycles)

Gonna do it again but distance wise not time, so 100 metres sprinting, 200 metres jogging.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a bit slow. I did it in under two hours....

Hur hur.

Everyone on the Facebook threads are saying to pace yourself to have something left for the hill at the end. But I think that's wrong. I'd much rather gun it to 10 miles and then be ahead of schedule for the 2 mile climb.

Thoughts?

Hur hur.

Everyone on the Facebook threads are saying to pace yourself to have something left for the hill at the end. But I think that's wrong. I'd much rather gun it to 10 miles and then be ahead of schedule for the 2 mile climb.

Thoughts?

I did it last yr (I'm not very fit and hadn't done over 9 miles training).

The end is quite tiresome, basically it's round the back of edgbaston heading up to the hagley rd...Depends on how fit you are and how much training you have done, but definately worth saving a wee bit for there...I saw some people really flaking at this stage and it would be terrible to not finish having gotten so far.

Really nice atmosphere last yr, the crowd really help spur you on...People are outside their houses shouting,cheering and even handing out sweets etc.Tribute to the people of birmingham how much their support really helps.

I did it last yr (I'm not very fit and hadn't done over 9 miles training).

The end is quite tiresome, basically it's round the back of edgbaston heading up to the hagley rd...Depends on how fit you are and how much training you have done, but definately worth saving a wee bit for there...I saw some people really flaking at this stage and it would be terrible to not finish having gotten so far.

Really nice atmosphere last yr, the crowd really help spur you on...People are outside their houses shouting,cheering and even handing out sweets etc.Tribute to the people of birmingham how much their support really helps.

Very true. Great support from Joe Public.

Good thing: the bells in Bourneville church playing as the runners went past

Bad thing: they were playing "Keep Right On".

I felt compelled to attempt to drown them out with a rendition of "Holte Enders in the Sky".

• 2 weeks later...

I did 1.49.07 which I'm very happy with. I was in the orange wave at 10.10 but didn't cross the starting line until 10.19. When I crossed the finish line showing 1.58.08 for the orange wave I thought it must be a decent time (for me).

Few things to share:

1. I'd always thought that top runners on the TV aren't actually going all that fast. Boy was I wrong. Going down the Pershore Road, the lead elites were coming the other way, massive strides moving at incredible pace. My jaw dropped at the speed they were doing.

2. Fantastic atmosphere, great organisation, best race I've been to.

3. I accidentally went to the front rather than the back so set off with some quick people. I didn't want to look crap so started very quickly. It was good because I was able to keep it going for a while until I inevitably slowed down around Canon Hill Park, c. mile 8. After that it was the climb up into Calthorpe and then onto the Hagley Road where it was hard work. I saw the 200m mark in the distance on Broad Street and sprinted at top speed. Must have done a fast first half to get the time I did because the 2nd half wasn't especially good.

4. Have to wonder if they'll announce why the guy died. With the high-profile deaths during exercise it won't be long before the public have an excuse not to get up and go.

I did 1.49.07 which I'm very happy with. I was in the orange wave at 10.10 but didn't cross the starting line until 10.19. When I crossed the finish line showing 1.58.08 for the orange wave I thought it must be a decent time (for me).

Good run mate. Sub 1.45 next time out.

I'd always thought that top runners on the TV aren't actually going all that fast. Boy was I wrong.

Indeed. You see the top runners on the TV, and they look like they are jogging. They are doing sub-5 minute miles all the way round!

Have to wonder if they'll announce why the guy died. With the high-profile deaths during exercise it won't be long before the public have an excuse not to get up and go.

The stats tell the story. For every runner that drops dead through an undiagnosed heart condition, there are hundreds of thousands who probably save their lives by running. I'd take those odds every time.

The stats tell the story. For every runner that drops dead through an undiagnosed heart condition, there are hundreds of thousands who probably save their lives by running. I'd take those odds every time.

But just as with air travel (for every person who dies flying, there are many who avoid dying by flying), the death gets much more publicity than the lives saved...

I did the half marathon Sunday, my first one ever. Did it in 2.28.28. Pretty rubbish, but I was just happy to finish it. I didn't do any training and wasn't planning on going through with it until the evening before.

I got to the 8 mile mark without stopping in about 1hr15mins, before stopping and walking a minute or two, but I wish I hadn't. I just couldn't get started again after that. Stopped and started about 10 times until the finish.

It's really made me want to take it seriosuly, put some training in for next year and try and shave at least 20 minutes off my time.

Really enjoyed it aswell. I didn't quite realise the work and organisation that gets put into it. Amazing atmosphere. My dad watched me over the line and is thinking about giving it a go next year, he loved it.

Completely serious. Stress fracture, came from nowhere, some of you may have seen me limping round the course holding my hip. At the time I thought it was a strain but obviously not. Just had an operation to pin my hip, in hospital at the moment.

Completely serious. Stress fracture, came from nowhere, some of you may have seen me limping round the course holding my hip. At the time I thought it was a strain but obviously not. Just had an operation to pin my hip, in hospital at the moment.

Wow, sorry to hear that. How far did you get and from what point did it start hurting?

Starting going at 7 miles, at that point I was on for about 1 hour 40 mins. I managed to limp to 11 and a half miles at which point I couldn't bear weight on it so got taken by ambulance to the QE. They x rayed me and said I had a pulled muscle and gave me crutches. Had 3 days of complete agony until I got a phone call from the QE saying they'd reviewed my x rays and I might have a stress fracture. Went straight to my local hospital and they confirmed it and I went into surgery the next day. Got a couple of months of hard physio to come now but I'll get there.

• 5 weeks later...
Â