Running

trimandson

Argh! 3 weeks before Birmingham and I've started getting side stitch. Also my left knee pain comes and goes and I don't know which way to go with my gait whether to do what I've always done and force my feet straight which has never given me problems, or let my feet fall naturally. Or it may just be to do with the speeds I'm getting to (doing park runs at 6:30 / mile now).

Alot of the knee pain I get tends to be my hamstrings being overly tight - I end up having to stretch them 5 times a day to stop it.

I have a similar issue in that I have a half marathon coming up sunday but currently have issues with hamstrings and hip flexors - hoping a couple of sports massages, ice and no proper training (maybe a swim) will mean I go in fit. I have a more important (tri) race at the end of the month so will leave it if at all risky. Hoping to get near 1:30 but going to be hard I think, Ive recently ran a 19:03 5K but that hurt alot.

My hamstrings are really tight. I know because when doing these abs exercises on YouTube I literally can only just lift my legs off the floor when lying down. How do you know the knee pain is hamstring related? And how do you stretch them?

My hamstrings are really tight. I know because when doing these abs exercises on YouTube I literally can only just lift my legs off the floor when lying down. How do you know the knee pain is hamstring related? And how do you stretch them?

Basically looking at the image below where the hamstring attaches under and behind the knee, I tend to get pain around there - for ages I thought it was ITB and used a roller (which is also a good idea but hurts lots) but was told by oesteo that it was my hammies.

hamstring_muscles.jpg

As far as stretches themselves, you can do a seated stretch cold, see below, just reach down on the leg you are stretching

Hamstring1.jpg

Also if ever your calves get tight you can do stretches off a step - i.e. one foot flat and the other you put half on the step and bend it down to get the stretch - bend the opposite knee to change where in the calf it is stretching.

I remember running once in the same race as Julian Goater, Basil Heatley and Dave Moorcroft. 

He doesnt run so much nowadays as had quite a serious achillies injury, but I imagine fit would leave me for dead despite me being 25 years younger than him.

I have regularly been battered a number of times riding up hills and doing TT's with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my number i got an achilles tendon thats practically hanging off though mixed with a bit of anterior tibialis pain

Still managed to get at least 7 miles under my belt a week running only once a week it takes at least 6 days for me to recover to run again

I deliberately give them a long estimated time of 2 hours 30 mins + so i'd get placed in pink wave

My theory is that i would rather start at the back and run at my own pace with less pressure from people behind me than at the front or middle

Plus i really like the colour pink

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

I went for my last run before Sunday last night, ran 5.5 miles in 52 minutes. I'd be happy if I can keep up that kind of pace.

Half way round though, my shin, calf and ankle starting hurting on my right leg and my left knee went. And then I got a bloody fly in my eye. I felt like the Hunchback of Notre-Dame running around Oldbury.

Edited by Paddywhack

In the last 3 months I've had a groin injury, broken metatarsel, and an ongoing back problem yet ran my fastest 10k ever last sunday. Been to the chiropractor twice in the last week. Anything could happen!!

Look forward to sitting next to you in A&E come Sunday afternoon

Edited by AshVilla

In the last week I'm hardly training due to tapering but I'm eating more to ensure I've got enough glycogen for Sunday.

I feel like such a fatty. I'm so tempted to go out every night but I know I can't.

I did a gentle run yesterday and did 4 miles in 27 mins so I'm on the right track, I just don't want to lose my fitness or put weight back on.

In the last week I'm hardly training due to tapering but I'm eating more to ensure I've got enough glycogen for Sunday.

I feel like such a fatty. I'm so tempted to go out every night but I know I can't.

I did a gentle run yesterday and did 4 miles in 27 mins so I'm on the right track, I just don't want to lose my fitness or put weight back on.

I find tapering hard, although injury had sort of forced me to lessen my hours over the last couple of weeks and even had to take a pass on the half marathon I was supposed to do the week before last to make sure Im fit for the 27th.

Now I will have 10 days of just doing short sessions with speed work, swimming lots and trying to eat healthy but also sort of carb load at the same time.

Â