Running

trimandson

where'd you run? Flat or hilly?

Unfortunately for me, it's all hills, no matter what direction i go in!

Fortunately, you mean. Hills are good, hills build strength. I pity runners in flat areas - when they do a race on hills they are ****. Those who train on hills will piss all over flat races.

Depends on the kind of training you do over hills; and no doubt if you run up you have to run down, and most running down hills ƒu•ks the knees of most people. The best training is a mixed bag...

Oh, for sure. I wasn't advocating nothing but hill work. But for stamina there's nothing to beat it.

Right ok, so hills are ok, but what happens when you have to... I'm gonna say it.. STOP?

When I stop when exhausted from running, I feel as though I've failed the entire run! It also puts me off running again for a week.. It's like it wrecks my confidence. Dont like it at all.

Right ok, so hills are ok, but what happens when you have to... I'm gonna say it.. STOP?

When I stop when exhausted from running, I feel as though I've failed the entire run! It also puts me off running again for a week.. It's like it wrecks my confidence. Dont like it at all.

It's actually good for you to switch it up. So some days you should run for a few minutes then walk for a minute. Then get right back into running. 3-in-1 is the best. Run as fast as you can for 3 minutes, then walk for a minute, then go back into the run. Repeat for however long a distance you plan to go.

As for me, I'm annoyed! I can't run because some jackass fire in Georgia is sending smoke my way and when I try to run in it I get about half a mile before my head is killing me and I feel like I might puke. :(

How strange. I always love the feeling after a hard run. Tired, but buzzing. A good shower, then some food and (if it's evening) beer. I must admit though that a REALLY long hard run can leave me with difficulty in sleeping, as my legs feel like they're still running.

I never feel like I've failed though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. For about a year now I've had the double whammy of sciatica and plantar fasciitis - of which the latter has been the bigger problem as regards running.

After seeing my GP and three different physios, and trying various stretches and exercises, it looked like the answer was to rest and wait for it to go away.

So I haven't run at all this year - four months now. And it seemed to have worked. For the last 4 to 6 weeks I've had no heel pain at all. So I decided it was time to gently test it out.

Went for a very cautious run (1.5 miles) yesterday evening. I was OK until about the one mile mark, when it started to hurt a bit - and I started to limp. Felt a bit sore all evening.

Got up this morning - agony. I can hardly walk.

What with the Villa, I am MIGHTILY **** off.

So, as one of this countries growing army of fat blokes I have decided to start this couch to 5k thing. Today is supposed to be Week 2, day 2 but given the tropical storm which is currently happening outside I might have to postpone it. I am still very much couch and not 5k though.

• 2 weeks later...

so tonight i went for a run. it was my first run since i had to give up football through injury 11 years ago, and most of it was a walk (although fairly brisk, i have a walking speed of 7.5-8km/h), but of the 6.5km i did, there was about 2km running in there. im genuinely proud of myself, because for years i was using the fact that i have a dodgy foot to avoid running, and instead i focused on walking. now, im damn good at walking, but i slipped on that front for the last 18 months and put a load of weight back on, so im only getting back into that side of things now. i used to do about 25-30km a day over 3 sessions, now im starting back at 1 or 2 6.5km sessions a day.

so back to the running, i have some serious beginner questions

first, and most retarded, one is how long does it take to get semi decent at this crap? tonight i was literally able to run for about 90 seconds before having to walk for 5 minutes to catch my breath again. now i assume that's terrible, but is the whole running thing somewhere you see improvement quickly? because that would be tremendously helpful in motivating me.

second, and most pertinent, one is how do i stop my nipples from chafing, because **** me that is painful

thirdly, and most baffling, one is the fact that i don't appear to be able to jog. you know that really slow jog that people do when you see them out of a sunday morning? i can't do it. im 6'6 with very long, powerful legs, and the teensy tiny little step jogging doesn't work for me. is it possible to learn how to do that? or is there a natural run speed for everyone? my issue may be that im running too fast and knackering myself too quickly, but if i keep up at that pace will i get used to it and improve my stamina all the time? or do i really have to figure out how to jog?

cheers all!

so tonight i went for a run. it was my first run since i had to give up football through injury 11 years ago, and most of it was a walk (although fairly brisk, i have a walking speed of 7.5-8km/h), but of the 6.5km i did, there was about 2km running in there. im genuinely proud of myself, because for years i was using the fact that i have a dodgy foot to avoid running, and instead i focused on walking. now, im damn good at walking, but i slipped on that front for the last 18 months and put a load of weight back on, so im only getting back into that side of things now. i used to do about 25-30km a day over 3 sessions, now im starting back at 1 or 2 6.5km sessions a day.

so back to the running, i have some serious beginner questions

first, and most retarded, one is how long does it take to get semi decent at this crap? tonight i was literally able to run for about 90 seconds before having to walk for 5 minutes to catch my breath again. now i assume that's terrible, but is the whole running thing somewhere you see improvement quickly? because that would be tremendously helpful in motivating me.

second, and most pertinent, one is how do i stop my nipples from chafing, because **** me that is painful

thirdly, and most baffling, one is the fact that i don't appear to be able to jog. you know that really slow jog that people do when you see them out of a sunday morning? i can't do it. im 6'6 with very long, powerful legs, and the teensy tiny little step jogging doesn't work for me. is it possible to learn how to do that? or is there a natural run speed for everyone? my issue may be that im running too fast and knackering myself too quickly, but if i keep up at that pace will i get used to it and improve my stamina all the time? or do i really have to figure out how to jog?

cheers all!

I'm by no means an expert, but I think you're right, you're just running too fast. I doubt you're so unfit you can't last more than 90 seconds. You'd probably last a lot longer than that if you did a light jog.

As for noticing improvements, I definitely did. I took up running earlier this year and I was doubling my distance each week (2-3 runs a week) and was finding each run easier than the last, aswell.

Good luck with it!

At the risk of sounding snotty, just read back through this thread! The same question has been asked and answered several times.

Sorry, but I'm grumpy due to being unable to run (see plantar fasciitis entries above). :angry:

At the risk of sounding snotty, just read back through this thread! The same question has been asked and answered several times.

its almost 100 pages tho!

found my jogging pace tonight and managed to run just over 3km out of my 6.5km loop. found the running a lot easier and could go for a lot longer with that pace, though im avoiding running up hills at the moment til i build a bit of stamina

my target is running the full 6.5km loop in 30 mins without stopping by the end of july, which should definitely be attainable i would assume. did it running/walking in 44 mins today, so i assume knocking 14 minutes off that shouldn't be a problem if im running the whole thing

• 5 weeks later...

Been back at it the last few weeks (after various injuries and lame excuses) and absolutely loving it again.

Just doing about 2-3 miles a few times a week to get me back up to speed, but it really is remarkable how quickly you get back into the groove.

Going to aim for regular 8 to 10k before August.

By the way, can anyone recommend a decent (free if possible) Android app for running? Been told CardioTrainer is the best of the bunch so I'm going to give that one a whirl but always appreciate any other recommendations.

I've tried them all :)

Used CardioTrainer years ago, but it wasn't social enough, or didn't have a nice web site backing it up.

RunKeeper is probably the best. It allows you to modify your runs if it skips corners, or the battery dies etc. It also posts to Twitter and Facebook if you like to brag. It's also really good for keeping track over your status over time. But it did seem to keep rebooting my phone after 12 miles a while ago.

I currently use Endomondo because it's like RunKeeper but seems a bit more accurate and has a few nice features like countdowns, music control etc.

I've tried them all :)

Used CardioTrainer years ago, but it wasn't social enough, or didn't have a nice web site backing it up.

RunKeeper is probably the best. It allows you to modify your runs if it skips corners, or the battery dies etc. It also posts to Twitter and Facebook if you like to brag. It's also really good for keeping track over your status over time. But it did seem to keep rebooting my phone after 12 miles a while ago.

I currently use Endomondo because it's like RunKeeper but seems a bit more accurate and has a few nice features like countdowns, music control etc.

Cheers for that. I've been told not to bother with RunKeeper as it has a (well documented) problem with not publishing your runs to the website once completed. I think I'll give Endomondo a go in addition to CardioTrainer.

:thumb:

Â