Running

trimandson

• 1 month later...

Anyone doing the Great Birmingham Run this year?

My PB is 1.52 from last year and I want to get to 1.30. Big ask but I'm up for it!

First I've got the Birmingham and Black Country HM. Anyone doing that?

Used to be a county xcountry runner, then realised **** THAT. I hated it, but my dad made me do it cause I was good at it.

Also, did anybody do the lichfield half?

Edited by StefanAVFC

I think I need to be doing more off-road stuff if I'm to prevent a recurrence of my plantar fasciitis. 

Still going OK ATM, fingers crossed. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think I prefer cross-country now. Roads can be a bit monotonous. Also, I feel like Action Man jumping over things mid-run. But an Action Man with genitals, of course.

I was just thinking of starting a general running thread when I came upon this. So no need, I guess.

I also prefer cross-country running; roads can be so monotonous, unless I suppose you're running in the city, and the whole process seems so much less engaging to me. Running trails forces you to stay alert and on your toes, literally. I'm going to be travelling for the next couple/few weeks, so I'll have to go back to running on pavement for a bit, but I'd much rather run in the woods if given the option:

228541_1886710240320_6072500_n.jpg

• Like 1

After completing the 13mile Walk for Kids on Sunday I've got the bug. I want to get into running.

Where is the best place in the Black Country to get some running shoes that fit me properly rather than ones just off the shelf? Also any good routes people can recommend for a beginner?

• Like 1

Have started running in the morning 4 times a week, and I am completely and utterly useless at it.

My breath gets soo short in such a short space of time, but it is improving, which is nice.

Have started running in the morning 4 times a week, and I am completely and utterly useless at it.

My breath gets soo short in such a short space of time, but it is improving, which is nice.

Kind of the point. It's hard because you're unfit. Keep doing it, you get fitter!

Been running while holding a bottle of water in one hand recently. I look like a dork, but I just can't bring myself to run with a backpack on.

You don't need a backpack, just get a bottle belt:

31IbD-RD2gL.jpg

How far are you running? I never bother with water if it's less than ten miles. Over that I use one of the above.

Kind of the point. It's hard because you're unfit. Keep doing it, you get fitter!

I do enjoy it as I find it gives me the best possible start to the day, I couldn't go out this morning because I'm riddled with blisters and I feel pretty lousy because of it.

After completing the 13mile Walk for Kids on Sunday I've got the bug. I want to get into running.

Where is the best place in the Black Country to get some running shoes that fit me properly rather than ones just off the shelf? Also any good routes people can recommend for a beginner?

Got fitted for mine from the shop in David Lloyd gym in Brierley Hill Dante. Takes about half an hour, bit of running on the treadmill etc to check your foot type.  Think I paid £110 for my first pair but they have lasted really well and are ridiculously comfortable.

Regarding routes, there are plenty around our way. Haden Hill Park is a decent circuit, as is Lodge Farm Reservoir (Nature Reserve). I tend to do most of my running in the week just around the roads, I have 4k, 6k and 8k routes according to how i'm feeling.

Yeah, you'll pay through the nose for your first pair if you go to a good shop and get the gait analysis done. But it's probably worth it. Once you've found a pair that suits you, you can order subsequent replacements online from various outlets at much lower prices.

e.g. sportsshoes.com sell "last year's models" at half price or even less.

With your location being in the USA (NY), I'm surprised you can find any publicly available off-road/XC places to run!

I'm currently Upstate, so there's lots of room up here! I often run into problems when I tell people I'm from New York—the States are so much bigger than people are used to in the UK or on the Continent. I'm a five or six-hour drive from NYC, up by Canada, nearly the distance from London to Glasgow.

Â