Running

trimandson

Getting there 10k, 55 minutes and nothing hurts. Still 102 kg (16 stone?) Going back to 90 would do me good but I like eating.

With your location being in the USA (NY), I'm surprised you can find any publicly available off-road/XC places to run!

I'm currently Upstate, so there's lots of room up here! I often run into problems when I tell people I'm from New York—the States are so much bigger than people are used to in the UK or on the Continent. I'm a five or six-hour drive from NYC, up by Canada, nearly the distance from London to Glasgow.

I wondered about that. I do realise that NY State is HUGE and mostly rural. But I was still under the impression that rural areas still tend to be mostly private land - unless you're in a designated National Park, there isn't the same "right to roam" that we have here. That was the case last time I was in Pennsylvania, about 20 years ago, but maybe things are different now/where you are.

Odd question here, and no puns please, do you guys spit or swallow whilst running? Is there any benefit/disadvantage to either? i.e. spitting will dehydrate you faster?

I find public spitting pretty disgusting, so I guess I must swallow (don't really think about it). I'm sure it has no effect on hydration, either way. Trivial amounts involved.

Getting there 10k, 55 minutes and nothing hurts. Still 102 kg (16 stone?) Going back to 90 would do me good but I like eating.

That's not bad speed for your weight. Keep it up (the speed that is, not your weight!) 

And that's really upstate... none of this Dutchess County being upstate shit.

I'm guessing you live near the 9,400 square miles of the largest park in the contiguous US?

And that's really upstate... none of this Dutchess County being upstate shit.

I'm guessing you live near the 9,400 square miles of the largest park in the contiguous US?

Nah, I'm in Rochester, but that picture was taken when I was living in Buffalo and would run the Niagara River Gorge. But there are public parks with trails of that calibre in Rochester, too, and they're more extensive. I can run for up to a couple of hours in some of them without running out of fresh trail.

With your location being in the USA (NY), I'm surprised you can find any publicly available off-road/XC places to run!

I'm currently Upstate, so there's lots of room up here! I often run into problems when I tell people I'm from New York—the States are so much bigger than people are used to in the UK or on the Continent. I'm a five or six-hour drive from NYC, up by Canada, nearly the distance from London to Glasgow.

I wondered about that. I do realise that NY State is HUGE and mostly rural. But I was still under the impression that rural areas still tend to be mostly private land - unless you're in a designated National Park, there isn't the same "right to roam" that we have here. That was the case last time I was in Pennsylvania, about 20 years ago, but maybe things are different now/where you are.

Honestly, I've never really had trouble finding decent places to run in the mid-sized cities I've lived in: Rochester, New York; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas—even Prague, CZ—have had some really cool parks with decent trails within a reasonable distance. But I suppose it's probably very different in the urban sprawl of a large U.S. city or much of the U.K.. Whenever I've been in England, I've just run downtown, but urban running can be exciting in its own way. It's fun to dodge cars and people watch.

Edited by JamieZ

It's perfect where I live (semirural NW suburbs of Leeds). All the road running you want, but a surprising amount of off-road tracks and trails. Plus river and canal towpath on my doorstep.

And hilly as f*ck. Which is good.

It's perfect where I live (semirural NW suburbs of Leeds). All the road running you want, but a surprising amount of off-road tracks and trails. Plus river and canal towpath on my doorstep.

And hilly as f*ck. Which is good.

That's fantastic. That kind of ambivalence is ideal. It's really important for me to be able to mix it up when I'm running—to keep things fresh.

There's an increasing likelihood that I'll be moving to Haifa, Israel for a new job in the coming months. The city is built on a steep hill and it's bordered by miles of beach within running distance, so it would be a massive fitness challenge and opportunity rolled up into one. Oh God, but the heat...

Edited by JamieZ

I've been slowly returning to fitness the past month or so  , knees still give me a bit of grief but I figure I'd rather have some knee pain than drop deed from being obese !!

At Easter I tried a bit of a run whilst out walking and managed about 1/2 a mile before collapsing like a Bangladesh Primark  ... The other Sat I came home pissed from London and jogged home from Woking station non stop about 3 1/2 miles  ( I always jog home from the pub , clears the head :) )

still a bit heavy for road running tbh  but I'm pounding the treadmills daily in a bid to be able to hit the streets again

• Like 1

I just ran for the second time in a year, and found out it's not wise to eat a big bowl of strawberries beforehand

Got an instant stitch which forced me to stop, soldiered on and ran 1.6 miles in 11 mins. Pissed off because I wanted to test myself long distance but the time isn't bad considering how I started

any dietary tips for new runners? I have unwisely signed up to do a half marathon in October having successfully found excuses for not doing it for many years so far. Found out that I can do around 4-5 miles so far without totally dieing so I'm optimistic I can cope with the length, but no idea how to practice for these sorts of things. I suppose after 76 pages this has come up before, but... any tips?  :P

My running shoes came in the post so did my first 'outside' run after work yesterday. As a starting point I have a long road just down from mine that goes on for a while, so I ran it. Basically ran as a far as I could, then headed back intermittently walking and jogging. So I've got a 'point' now that I will try to beat each time I come out for a run. Figured it was a good way to start. If I can run past the point (and subsequent new point) every run then I'll know I'm improving. For the record this is what MapmyRun logged;

Duration: 18:00
Distance: 2.33km
Pace: 7.43 min/km

That includes the walk/jog back up the road too. Was enjoyable and I was knackered. Yeah I'm unfit, but I'm looking forward to improving

• Like 1

Started running during the summer of 2012, but then had to stop due to an injury, started again this year after resting up for a while and did my first 10km (61 mins) and 10 mile (94 mins) runs in the past few months, pleased with those, hoping to be able to do a half marathon at some point, but the 10 mile run was tough for the last 2 miles or so.

May have to get some proper running shoes rather than just the normal trainers I wear as after about 6 miles I get blisters!!

Â