Running

trimandson

Odd question here, and no puns please, do you guys spit or swallow whilst running? Is there any benefit/disadvantage to either? i.e. spitting will dehydrate you faster?

C) Snocket Rocket.

I've tended to find the socks are more important when it comes to blisters 

I did wonder about this as my walking socks are ace for stopping me getting blisters on long walks, so may try them on my next run.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I run, I've started developing very painful swelling shins.

I don't think it's splints as after an hour or so after running, they subside.

Is there anything anyone can recommend to aid this?

Looking at some shin wraps on amazon, but I've no idea if they're actually any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/LP-Supports-LP635-SUPPORTS-Shin/dp/B00388SY0E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373014214&sr=8-2&keywords=shin+wraps

• 4 weeks later...

What apps do you guys use to record your runs?? Been using the Nike app on phone but I'm not keen on it to be honest but I don't know what else to use.

Also on average how many times a week do you guys run??

What apps do you guys use to record your runs?? Been using the Nike app on phone but I'm not keen on it to be honest but I don't know what else to use.

Also on average how many times a week do you guys run??

Mapmyrun have a good app. That's what I used to use. Nothing too fancy, tells you how far you ran, pace, where you ran (using gps) etc.

Not sure it has all the bells and whistles that the nike one does but it was more than enough for me. And it's free (I think)

Any advice from more experienced runners would be welcomed here as I'm due to run the Great North 6 weeks today and its about time I tried to get prepared. I'm not in any way fit and have a target to complete the race within 2 and half hours.

Bit of background. Started training in November things were going ok until February I hit 7 miles and ended up injuring my heel. Thought it was plantar fasciitis but it has since healed although in the meantime caught a dose of cellulitis in the shin which again has now healed. During this time I gave up my place in the GNR to a mate who last week also pulled out. So I've taken my place back.

Started again on Saturday with a 2.5 mile run and this morning did 3 miles, not at any great pace mind you (12.2) but I think I can concentrate on pace later on. There's a bit of soreness in the thighs so will rest up tomorrow then go again on Tuesday, keeping it at 3 miles all next week and upping the distance each week as I progress. Aiming to train 4 times a week up to the race date, all being well.

I know 6 weeks is not a very long time, and 13 miles is a long way but do you have suggestions on how to increase the training distances in a way that I'm not going to injure or kill myself over the next month and a half? Got myself a nice app, RunKeeper, some decent asics shoes to correct my overpronation (the reason for my original heel injury) and a load of motivation, which may or may not dissipate over the next month.

• 4 weeks later...

Any advice from more experienced runners would be welcomed here as I'm due to run the Great North 6 weeks today and its about time I tried to get prepared. I'm not in any way fit and have a target to complete the race within 2 and half hours.

Bit of background. Started training in November things were going ok until February I hit 7 miles and ended up injuring my heel. Thought it was plantar fasciitis but it has since healed although in the meantime caught a dose of cellulitis in the shin which again has now healed. During this time I gave up my place in the GNR to a mate who last week also pulled out. So I've taken my place back.

Started again on Saturday with a 2.5 mile run and this morning did 3 miles, not at any great pace mind you (12.2) but I think I can concentrate on pace later on. There's a bit of soreness in the thighs so will rest up tomorrow then go again on Tuesday, keeping it at 3 miles all next week and upping the distance each week as I progress. Aiming to train 4 times a week up to the race date, all being well.

I know 6 weeks is not a very long time, and 13 miles is a long way but do you have suggestions on how to increase the training distances in a way that I'm not going to injure or kill myself over the next month and a half? Got myself a nice app, RunKeeper, some decent asics shoes to correct my overpronation (the reason for my original heel injury) and a load of motivation, which may or may not dissipate over the next month.

Only just spotted this.

Unless you already have better advice, I'd not bother training above 10 miles for your first HM.

Then you need to get to a point where if you can start slow on a long run, and just keep plodding along at 10 mins / mile. That's the key pace to hit, it means you're about 2 hours 10 mins for a half marathon, and close enough to shave those 10 mins off to get below 2 hours when you pick it up a bit.

Training when you're starting off is all about getting the distance on to your legs. Go out slowly every other night doing 4 miles, then do a long run every weekend, early as you can in the morning. 1 week do 6, then 8, then 10, then 4, then 6, then 8, then 10.

Get some decent cushioned running trainers, like some Asics Gel Nimbus or something, and some decent more mile socks etc.

Finally, eat well. Lots of meat, No crap carbs such as cakes, biscuits, chocolate etc. 

Good luck!

My quest for a 1:30 HM in 7 weeks continues.

My PB is 1:52 at the Birmingham Great Run last year.

My last HM was a disaster. 2:20 due to heat and a bad knee.

I'm currently at about 7:30 / mile for a half after losing about 3 stone. My last long run:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/363996826

I've just done a Park Run and did it in 21:15 for 5km, which I'm really pleased about.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/367882033

Need to lose about another stone, then I should be OK for 6:50 / mile over 13.1..

• Like 1

Only just spotted this.

Unless you already have better advice, I'd not bother training above 10 miles for your first HM.

Then you need to get to a point where if you can start slow on a long run, and just keep plodding along at 10 mins / mile. That's the key pace to hit, it means you're about 2 hours 10 mins for a half marathon, and close enough to shave those 10 mins off to get below 2 hours when you pick it up a bit.

Training when you're starting off is all about getting the distance on to your legs. Go out slowly every other night doing 4 miles, then do a long run every weekend, early as you can in the morning. 1 week do 6, then 8, then 10, then 4, then 6, then 8, then 10.

Get some decent cushioned running trainers, like some Asics Gel Nimbus or something, and some decent more mile socks etc.

Finally, eat well. Lots of meat, No crap carbs such as cakes, biscuits, chocolate etc. 

Good luck!

Just to add a little extra to this.

You mentioned about injuries. Ice, sports massages and maybe something like a roller would help a lot with some of those injuries, especially the ice.

Just moved to Haifa, Israel this past week and have tried to pick up running relatively where I left off back home. The thing about this place is that the city is built quite literally on a mountain and that there is no way to run anywhere without doing some serious, serious hill work—to the extent that most of the time, you're either trudging up a killer hill or bracing yourself down such a decline as to make it more of a job to control your descent than a welcome rest from the uphill running. It makes a five or six mile jog feel like an ordeal. I ran down to the Mediterranean the other day to check out the beach and (in)conveniently forgot that the second half of my run was necessarily up a mountain. It made for the most intense half-marathon-distance run I've ever done. I think my bottom line is that in several months, I'm either going to have calves of steel or several debilitating overuse injuries. Oh, and it's stop-and-wring-out-your-shirt hot here.

Edited by JamieZ

Is it ok to run with a sore achilles

It is a dull ache i mostly feel it after the run not during it the pain goes away a day later but comes back again after

I'm not going to snap my tendon am i or rupture it i'm also training for brum hm

I have slowed down alot and stopped running up hills i don't know what more i can do

i ice it regularly just feels a bit sore especially in the morning afterwards i really don't want to rest if i can help it i want to get a decent time and be as sharp as i can

Edited by AshVilla

Is it ok to run with a sore achilles

It is a dull ache i mostly feel it after the run not during it the pain goes away a day later but comes back again after

I'm not going to snap my tendon am i or rupture it i'm also training for brum hm

I have slowed down alot and stopped running up hills i don't know what more i can do

i ice it regularly just feels a bit sore especially in the morning afterwards i really don't want to rest if i can help it i want to get a decent time and be as sharp as i can

Sounds like minor achilles tendinitis, which is something I've been dealing with, too. It's an overuse injury, and usually occurs when you take on too much too quickly—or in my case, when you switch to a minimal shoe too rapidly. There's all sorts of advice out there about how to treat it, but I just tread lightly when it's particularly sore—although it's rarely an issue during a run—and try to do some light massaging/stretching in the morning before I step out of bed and put my full weight on it. Some people wear compression sleeves, but I can't speak to their efficacy.

Â