Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/05/24 at 22:59

6 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Surely we're the first team ever to concede 5 goals in both their first and last games of a Premier League season?

Who knows? But almost certainly the only team to do that and qualify for Champions League football in between. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Aston Villa have finished the season in 4th place, nobody is going to remember this result or performance, even the travelling fans will be so wasted they'll not remember it tomorrow.

A large amount of people who watch every one of our games and know every stat and score line will remember it forever.

Amusingly they are all small queef fans 😂

11 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Amusingly they are all small queef fans 😂

It’ll be the highlight of their season and probably the next three seasons or more. 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Didn’t get seeing it, how bad were we?

Palace were amazing. Villa not so much. There's talk of Palace selling some of those players for big sums, but if they keep the team together, maybe add to it a little, they could be a real handful next season. I'll be watching out.

Apart from that, as has been said many times, Villa didn't really care. They celebrated the win the other night.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Didn’t get seeing it, how bad were we?

We were great we finished fourth! And didn’t get any more injuries, hopefully, UTV!!!!!

1 minute ago, saturdaygig said:

Palace were amazing. Villa not so much. There's talk of Palace selling some of those players for big sums, but if they keep the team together, maybe add to it a little, they could be a real handful next season. I'll be watching out.

Apart from that, as has been said many times, Villa didn't really care. They celebrated the win the other night.

Two of Eze, Olise and Mateta will be sold in the summer id imagine.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

The reality of this team and it is a team more than a squad, is that we have massively overachieved this season, with all things considered.

That's exactly why the defeats hurt so much because for a long time they were the norm and then they weren't at all because our first eleven excelled for long periods during this season!

Unsurprisingly, the second string players aren't as good and it has showed. Big time. To my mind, we very obviously need a deeper squad because the drop off is too big.

We got away with it this season by over performing, but that is pretty unlikely two years in a row. If deepening the squad with quality is unlikely, so is us producing similar results next year.

Are you suggesting we didn’t earn every one of our 68 points on merit?

Could you explain how “overperformance “ is measured and identify the specific matches in which we “overperformed”?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

1. Scoreline doesn't matter

2. Still perfectly fair to be a bit pissed at the half-arsed performances of some of the fringe players 

3. Hopefully a fair few who started today won't be here next season

4. Bring on the transfer window! AND CHAMPIONS LEAGUE BABY!

5. oh and Southgateball at the euros I guess....🥲

Having reflected a bit, my thoughts:

1. Firstly, great season. Hats off to the management and the players, they deserve to celebrate tonight. 

2. The injuries/players missing haven't helped. No Zaniolo, Moreno or Rogers today to add to Buendia, Mings, Ramsey and Kamara. Then Martinez, Cash and Pau Torres given the game off because they're probably still too hungover and Tielemans rested for the Euros. That's 11 players out. Palace had Hughes, Johnstone, Franca and Doucoure out but that clearly is far kinder that our absentees.

3. Palace are a good side with a brilliant manager. I said Palace will finish above us next season, it was tongue in cheek, but if we don't massively up our game from the last 2-3 months of this season and continue playing like this into next season we will go backwards. Palace I think are a dark horse for top 6 if they keep their best players. Wharton should go to the Euros over Mainoo for me and Eze over Maddison. Even so, there was enough out there on the pitch for us to at least compete and keep the scoreline respectable, but sadly we didn't even do that.

4. We have a lot of work to do. There have been too many hidings this season considering we finished 4th and that's why our GD is way below that of the top 3 and there is a soft underbelly that needs fixing, and we can only do that by bringing in new players. Defensively we have so much work to do, only 8 clean sheets, 61 goals conceded, and our only decent defensive midfielder is crocked. One positive is we should have a lot more players fit come August, but we need a really good transfer window.

5. I don't know how many of our players will go to the Euros, but I don't think it will be that many considering we finished 4th. Watkins for England, McGinn for Scotland, Tielemans for Belgium, Cash for Poland should all go. Maybe Pau Torres for Spain and Konsa gets in the England squad. Either way I hope whoever does go plays well and those who don't rest up well.

• Like 1

On reflection it doesn't really matter. We been running on empty for weeks and it's been a monumental effort to get 4th. Many of these players who played today won't be in our starting 11. Lenglet wknt he here. Forget this and look forward to next season.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Enda said:

Doesn’t matter. Might even be good in the long-term if it convince the club that a few players need their P45.

they didn't need to see that debacle, to know that.

I'll bury my head in the season, like other fans....and forget this game ever happened.

Edited by TRO

Â