Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

I'd really hope we can get past the league stage. Getting through the knockouts and into the round of 16 would be excellent and anything more than that dreamland.

Add to that a run in one of the cups and keeping 4th place please.

No pressure.

Don Unai thrives on pressure. 4th?! Pfft he'll want top 3 next season.

16 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I'd really hope we can get past the league stage. Getting through the knockouts and into the round of 16 would be excellent and anything more than that dreamland.

It's basically £12 million just for the last 16 game.. To get last 16 or even quarter finals would hugely benefit the club to solidify as a top 4 team.

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

If we can do well then it’s more likely that 5th place also becomes a CL spot. Which is eminently achievable for us.

Spurs, Chelsea and Man U will go far in the Europe / Conference league which should help. I think Liverpool will struggle with their new manager / identity, and we will do well to get into the playoffs.  

Posted (edited)

The reaction from 'fans' in the middle east south Asia and Africa on social media on us qualifying is hilarious. Like there's no rivalry between the 'big six' it's just as though they have a god given right to qualify every single year. It was these asshats the super league was proposed for. 

Also if they think we're happy with 4th once they have another thing coming. Sod what Chelsea or Man U are up to, if we get 70+ points it's ours. When Emery was offered a job in the Premier League again I think this was this thinking -

spacer.png

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Don Unai thrives on pressure. 4th?! Pfft he'll want top 3 next season.

Well, with fewer injuries and those couple of red cards we could have been challenging for the title further into the pointy end of the season, but in the end the gap is pretty huge to the top 3. Depends what happens at Liverpool I guess. I'll be daring to dream again in August!

At last.

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeenan's Champions League Draw posts will actually have relevancy.

Not that any of us will need to read it, we will all be on the UEFA website watching it 🤣

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Well, with fewer injuries and those couple of red cards we could have been challenging for the title further into the pointy end of the season, but in the end the gap is pretty huge to the top 3. Depends what happens at Liverpool I guess. I'll be daring to dream again in August!

With Klopp going Liverpool are there for the taking. We could easily have got 10 more points and they could get 10 less. Same results as this season, but let's beat the bottom team, not cock up 2-0's twice and get a win v Newcastle. That's your 10 right there

Edited by VillaJ100

The guys on Guardian podcast were making the point about us being in the 4th pot because we've zero recent pedigree in the competition. They reckon we'll be the best team in the fourth pot and the one team the bigger guys will want to avoid.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

The reaction from 'fans' in the middle east south Asia and Africa on social media on us qualifying is hilarious. Like there's no rivalry between the 'big six' it's just as though they have a god given right to qualify every single year. It was these asshats the super league was proposed for.

Yep, spot on (but I'd include e-sports fans and FIFAheads who live here too).

Edited by His Name Is Death

22 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, we played City without Rodri. It's been proven that he makes a massive difference so worth not getting too ahead of ourselves

We still put in a performance that has literally never been done by any team against a Guardiola team ever. It was statistically a generational performance. Ridiculous to play down that achievement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

We still put in a performance that has literally never been done by any team against a Guardiola team ever. It was statistically a generational performance. Ridiculous to play down that achievement.

Don't think they've lost a game since then either (just on penalties I believe).

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Projected pots. We'd play 2 from each. I'd LOVE Bayern, Barca, Juve, Milan, Sporting, PSV, Monaco and Sturm Graz

hvxnfy7wuwxc1.png

Is anyone likely to drop out of this list following the last round of league games?

For me, any of the following -

Pot 1 Real Madrid, Bayern, PSG, Dortmund or Barcelona

Pot 2 Atletico, Juve, Benfica or Milan

Pot 3 Sporting, Celtic, Lille

Pot 4 Monaco, Bologna, Stuttgart

I want some big nights and big teams!

Edited by ferguson1

9 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Projected pots. We'd play 2 from each. I'd LOVE Bayern, Barca, Juve, Milan, Sporting, PSV, Monaco and Sturm Graz

hvxnfy7wuwxc1.png

We want Aston Villa in **** Bruges, Bergamo, Barcelona, Bologna, Brest, Bodø, and at Bayern.

• Like 1

Â