Match Thread: Olympiacos v Villa

At what point do we give up and save the lads for Monday? Legit question, because Bailey is running on one leg and it's going to be pointless rolling them all out for 90 if we don't score at least 1. 

• Like 1

I thought that was a decent half under the circumstances.  I feel for Bailey basically having to play with one leg.  Unless we can think outside of the box and someone like Duran does something ridiculous off the bench I think it's beyond us.  Such a shame Tielemans and Rogers got injured when they did.

• Like 1

Just now, Wurzel said:

Dominating so far.

So glad we're beating them on all statistics. 

Super grateful for the era of Pep Guardiola where the scoreline isn't as important as possession, pass accuracy and chances created. 

Tie is done. Even at my most optimistic I've accepted the fact we're out. I'd just go for it second half. Who **** cares if they score more.

More worrying for me is, as it stands this could end up being our 5th defeat in 6. Not a great end to a fantastic season.

• Thanks 1

Just now, nepal_villan said:

been saying this on other threads, but just don't think we have a second gear that over powers the opponent. Our methodical buildup gives teams a chance to setup and we essentially have to be clinical to score - something we've luckily been doing most of the season. 

It's more with this Bailey injury, non Ramsey, no Rogers we've not got anyone who can beat their man and create an advantage. I agree we need to play quicker but definitely feeling the injuries today. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

It’s not on Digne though. Twice we should have closed that down. It just unfortunately went through Pau’s legs. He’s a wingback today wasn’t going to be dropping that deep. The biggest errors occurred before. 

Didn't go through Torres's legs? He pulls forward for the cross, leaves his man, and he ends up in no man's land with the ball played behind him 

I think we just need to create some chaos in their box. Get crosses in early and shoot when the chance presents. Their keeper looks like he can be got at and we’ve not tested him nearly enough. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

What has happened to this team? The last 4 games we just look clueless. Dopey defensively and brainless going forward with the wrong pass time and time again. Injuries explain no depth but we’ve still got 11 senior pros out there. Three defeats on the bounce if we lose this, I’m not sure when that last happened under Unai.

They need to get a grip because we could feasibly end the season with 5 defeats on the bounce which would be such a comedown on a very good season.

We're down to 2 midfielders, both out of position, 53 games in 

The response to this will be unfair when there's a very obvious answer staring at us in the face 

• Like 1

We pass without movement.  Accurately delivering the ball isn't sufficient for a great passing game.  It's about the receiver getting into a quality position.   That just doesn't seem to happen.  

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

That goal is dreadful, the right side do nothing, Torres has no idea where his man is, and Digne may as well be in the changing room having a wank

I think all the blame for that is on the right side of our defence, Konsa doesn't do enough to either stop the first man or track the second and Cash doesn't go with the runner - it's bit of a mess of communication. There's nothing Torres can do by the time the cut back comes past him. 

That's not the thing though, we've been so dominant - the better side for 95% of this tie - but we just don't win the key moments.

5 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Tbf, this is mostly on Luiz. Handball that gave them the penalty, and then couldn’t even atone when he missed the penalty. 

Yep 100%. A 2 goal turnaround we’ve never recovered from. 

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Read my posts. They are letting us play chap, we are impotent  they are 3 goals up, they can give us the ball all they like.

Yes but we've still not been shit, just not created many chances yet

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You kind of still sound like a Greek bot.

And you are a poor idiot. I support Villa since i was 13 years old in 1980. I seen Villa win First Division and European Cup. So, stick your finger inside your mouth and go to sleep. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Both wing backs were terrible for the goal tbh. God knows why Cash isn’t tracking their overlapping runner and Digne is marking air. 

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

I don't understand why anyone would think we aren't playing well, we've played much worse then this and won

There’s encouragement we can take from this and lessons. The self flagellation by some is getting embarrassing.  

• Like 1