Pre-Match Thread - Cup Final 8 of 10

imavillan

Not confident without Emi. No Tielemans is also a big concern as that midfield just hadn’t worked. Fingers crossed we get it over the line. Protect Olsen at all costs. It’s more than that though, he just creates anxiety throughout the team and always looks panicked. 

Just now, Villa87 said:

Not confident without Emi. No Tielemans is also a big concern as that midfield just hadn’t worked. Fingers crossed we get it over the line. Protect Olsen at all costs. It’s more than that though, he just creates anxiety throughout the team and always looks panicked. 

Brad Friedel was on 5 live earlier saying that Emi's best quality is arguably the confidence he instils not just in the defence but in the whole team and our supporters. I think Olsen is fine as a backup in terms of his ability but he doesn't have that aura that great keepers like Emi have

• Like 3

How far away is this Gauci fella from being a viable option? He's 23 going on 24 so not a kid, even by GK standards.

3 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

While Rogers has been great, I think where he lacks compared to Ramsey is his intelligence and work rate defensively. Hopefully that's addressed so we don't look as flimsy in midfield as against Olympiakos

Agreed. Think his game management and fitness plays a part in that. Normally blowing out his arse after 70mins. We'll miss Tielemans massively today.

8 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

He travelled apparently. Maybe just left out. 

Makes no sense leaving him out and having both cash and kesler on the bench and chambers 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Olsen doesn't worry me at all but the midfield does. 

Midfield issues against Olympiakos will have been a big learning opportunity. I think it'll be addressed today and function much better

• Like 1

Man, we really need to just get over the line, qualify for CL and get the season done. Bench looks so weak due to all of the injuries. I can't wait for the day we'll have a full strength team with proper options on the bench.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Not at all confident with Olsen in goal. 

Hopefully the defence and midfield stop making mistakes so Olsen can stop getting blamed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorthEastVillan said:

Agreed. Think his game management and fitness plays a part in that. Normally blowing out his arse after 70mins. We'll miss Tielemans massively today.

Ramsey's natural fitness is immense. You can tell from his speed and power on the pitch. Would be interesting to see bleep test results for the squad - think Ramsey would be up there. Probably with Mcginn and Watkins

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What the hell is that gold thing in front of him? 

I was gonna guess Mrs Dibu's fancy gold hairdryer attachment, but then when you look at the full picture I have no idea, but I didn't know I wanted a DIBU 1 argentina/Villa plant pot but I do now :D

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Is there any way we can go from 1-0 to 3-0 instantly? Just miss out the 2 bit?

If there is, then I’d back Unai to find out how to do it. 

Need to defend well and hope they don't get any corners or free kicks near the box. Hopefully give Olsen nothing to do and certainly nothing that requires any organisation.

This is the worst news possible as it means we may be without Emi in Greece. Meaning we are out.

Let's hope he is being rested!

All of you talking about Olsen need to think about how Luiz owes us the performance of a lifetime after Thursday and apologizing to the fans. He needs to understand the assignment and hold us together in midfield with McGinn. 

• Like 3

It's the team I expected except for Martinez. Hope  in the double Pivot Mcginn is the deeper one and stays disciplined. We have enough going forward to score a couple of goals just need to protect Olsen better than we have been doing.