Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/04/24 at 22:59

8 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Emi is the conductor of both our defence and attack.

Without him at the back to start the attack we were paralyzed.

I understand that, but as we saw when gresford played for us, we should not keep depending on one player...

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Someone said it would be 2-2. I blame them. I think it was @alreadyexists

Yeah, absolutely valid criticism there VLV. I think I need to spend some time on the training pitch, really pull my socks up and put my boots on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Some are saying that Chelsea were very good - well we let them hassle us, bully us and tactically nullify us.

We had a bad day at the office and didn't play well when we had to play better.

Some are saying that with EMI still in goal we would have won - not sure to be honest.

Would we have won that with Mings, Yori not being injured, Kamara, Ramsey and Douggie on form ? - of course

It is what it is, 1 point instead of 0, play badly and not lose.

All this guff about spuds, games in hand means nothing unless you win them, they have some tough games against teams who still have something to play for...

• Like 2

Excellent point in the end. Remain unbeaten in the league since City, scoreboard pressure on Spurs, if they step up today like we did when we went to Arsenal, then fair enough; there’s a race on and it will start looking like 2 points dropped to some. But I have nothing but praise for the team even if we did look 5 yards off the pace.

They’ve been churning out results all season, usually in style, they’re clearly knackered and dropping like flies. Proud of the lot of them. Owners, Manager and backroom team, whole squad. The lot of them are brilliant. Huge effort this season hasnt gone unnoticed.

Its not about performances now, its 3 games left, patch up a team & just get over the line territory. I believe we will. Massive game Thursday now. UTV

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue
  • Like 3

A mistake fans made before the game was having it in their head that Chelsea is a shit team.

No they aren't. If they were they'd be fighting relegation. They are a point off an european spot. 

There are aspects of their game that are really, really strong and I knew that before the game.

When I look at Chelsea nd what they're doing it's far, far more sustainable than let's say Man Utd.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

A mistake fans made before the game was having it in their head that Chelsea is a shit team.

No they aren't. If they were they'd be fighting relegation. They are a point off an european spot. 

There are aspects of their game that are really, really strong and I knew that before the game.

When I look at Chelsea nd what they're doing it's far, far more sustainable than let's say Man Utd.

It was never going to be a given. I said before the game a point wouldn’t be the end of the world but it’s the 2.0 lead we let slip that’s rattled me.

I think most people recognise that Chelsea are a good side, I don't think people were expecting us to perform as badly as we did.

We've played some good sides off the park this season, but last night, we barely played at all - we got our plan wrong, our shape and balance wrong and our distances wrong and then we passed the ball so badly that we gave Chelsea complete control of the game. 

Unai got this one wrong in terms of the plan - he's human and he's got so much right this season that you won't find me moaning too much about that - thankfully, the determination and mentality we have, and a bit of individual excellence got us a point.

We'll be better in the next one.

48 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Good to note that on the Sky commentary (from the two minute highlight thing they did) that the commentator says "that's a foul on Diego Carlos" and then seems amazed the ref let the goal stand initially - Andy Townsend on co-comms also backed him up and both absolutely expected the goal to be chalked off on VAR. 

It's always nice to know that others can see the obvious in front of them.

Glenn Hoddle too “it’s why he did it because he knew he wouldn’t get the ball otherwise .”

• Like 3

Let’s hope this Chelsea turns up against Spurs.

Two key injuries is the icing on the cake.

No longer in control of our destiny. A  depressing performance given we are at home and its importance. The possession performance was terrible.

It was a hard earned point that's for sure, ref allowed alot of physical contact which doesn't suit us, Chelsea are a big team and individually they have some Great players. Happy with a point, worried about the injuries tbh, Tim did well, he was more affective than Doug was and that's a worry going forward. 

Was a very similar game to the one we lost in the fa cup. We set up to sit deeper , draw them on then hit them when they over committed and it worked for 2 goals but then we started to lose possession cheaply in these  transitions. McGinn, Doug, Rogers and Diaby were all guilty of it. If we have been a bit cleverer we could have carved them open a few times before they scored. 

Ollie was in a battle and when he did knock the ball back it was there players picking the ball up as our midfield just went missing. I can't understand the drop off in performance from Doug in a game like that, he starts badly and then becomes petulant, almost like he just gives in. Hopefully he will pull it together on Thursday, we need him. 

Just watched MotD and this must be the worst of the season. Literally spent one minute analysing the VAR decision for Chelsea's third goal and then moved on without even commenting on the rest of the match. Maybe they should rename the programme VAR of the Day😂.

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Just watched MotD and this must be the worst of the season. Literally spent one minute analysing the VAR decision for Chelsea's third goal and then moved on without even commenting on the rest of the match. Maybe they should rename the programme VAR of the Day😂.

Can't believe the ref needed var to call it, we had a free kick that was stopped before the ball had even landed.

A game of two halves, the second one during which, we showed just how much we rely on Emi. For the second time this season, Chelsea came to Villa Park on the back of an abject performance and dominated the midfield area. Fortunately, this time we scored two goals ourselves and with Emi in place, we might yet have won a game that our visitors had enjoyed the lions share of the possession in. Three points would have been terrific, but despite the BBC claiming this result dents our CL hopes and potentially strengthens Spurs inevitable run to snatch 4th place from us, I think the point could prove to be a vital one. It gives us a 7 point gap over them and I suspect a point is the very best that they will get against an Arsenal side, that will be handing the title to Manchester City, should they do anything less than win today. 

For once VAR was in our corner last night, if the referee was not (particularly during the last half hour). Injuries to Youri and Emi, made a difficult game harder, than it already was and to come out of it with a point, will do for me. I hope that Chelsea play with the same resolve when they meet Spurs in mid-week, rather than play like rabbits in headlights, as they had against Arsenal before this game and Wolves before their FA Cup win against us. If so, Spurs will struggle to get anything out of that game too. We were not at our best last night and met the Chelsea team, that will give anyone a game, rather than the team that can't be bothered. That point we took looks better than it did last night (although it looked decent enough then) and it could well look decisive after Spurs have played their next two games. 

Not the greatest of games and Villa's inability to hold on to the ball was a worry...

I was praising Douglas Luiz before the game so sorry about that because he had a bit of a stinker.

Chelsea are a good team yet quite a horrible, Pochettino was moaning all through the game and I guess it influences their players too.

*edit, by the way the commentary team were awful on the live broadcast; just willing Chelsea to win the game throughout the whole match. Anyone else think it was biased?

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Some are saying that Chelsea were very good - well we let them hassle us, bully us and tactically nullify us.

We had a bad day at the office and didn't play well when we had to play better.

Some are saying that with EMI still in goal we would have won - not sure to be honest.

Would we have won that with Mings, Yori not being injured, Kamara, Ramsey and Douggie on form ? - of course

It is what it is, 1 point instead of 0, play badly and not lose.

All this guff about spuds, games in hand means nothing unless you win them, they have some tough games against teams who still have something to play for...

That’s my take, we had a shocking day v Chelsea and got a draw. Shows how far we’ve come. 

• Like 1

Â