Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Bit of an unpleasant habit of many being overly critical and not appreciative enough of our players and what they have done during this season (at least, last season was excellent too! And we destroyed teams like Newcastle and Chelsea who some are claiming we struggle or can’t play well against). I think they deserve more credit and… yeah ok… loyalty… or backing/support.

The squad is suffering with fatigue and injuries… but we keep fighting - that’s BIG.

I completely agree with this btw… Dougie is amongst our very best players… let’s not forget that, how he’s done, how good he is and can be… can’t expect everyone to be at 100% in every game… the (work)load of this season, the amount and frequency of games, even the level of competition, is new to many of these players…

Apart from the Tim bit… he doesn’t seem ready or good enough yet… but we may not have much of a choice…

Sick to death of the injuries… we need a break… 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Not great tonight but that could be a massive point come the end of the season. I feel a bit mixed emotionaly after being two up but we didn't deserve to win that.

The seven point gap is huge now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Olsen made a great save after the mix up but he makes me very nervous. Too many mistakes and doesn’t command his area well but pulls off some great saves when he plays. He wasn’t the reason we threw away a 2 goal lead but I was never confident with him in goal. 

That is the problem, he doesn't inspire confidence. If Emi hadn't gone off, I honestly believe we would have taken all three points. 

Tonight can be seen as an opportunity to learn more about our weaknesses and inconsistencies while gaining a respectable point (one I'd have taken before kick off) towards Champions f***ing League qualification against a very difficult side. I'm happy.

It's interesting that mentality and physicality keeps coming up in this thread.

I think we were tactically badly organised tonight and technically really poor on the ball.

I think it's our mentality and physicality that got us a point despite that.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just watched the disallowed goal again, **** me, Carlos was shoved into a different post code. There can be no debate whatsoever, was a clear foul. 

I thought it looked soft but having seen it again it’s a clear shove, the ref looked like he was looking straight at it as well. What annoys me more is if Carlos falls over he probably gives it as a foul. 

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we were tactically badly organised tonight and technically really poor on the ball.

Agree we didn’t looked organised, think Tielemans going off really threw us. I get why Diaby came on but he probably wasn’t the right sub at that stage. We didn’t have a lot of choice though. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd have taken a point before kick off but being 2-0 up and drawing just irks me, irrespective of who were playing.

I personally think it was mentality that actually let us down tonight. We invited pressure by insisting on long balls. Sometimes players need to realise that kicking it as far as you can in the hope of a striker winning it isn't an effective way of seeing a game out. I counted 5 long balls to Ollie in a 10 minute spell of Chelsea pressure, and we lost it every time.

We need to be more "canny" by taking the sting out of the game. Drawing fouls or just keep ball for more than 20 seconds.

Anyway, that's by the by. A point helps us a lot more than nothing. Onwards and upwards.

Just got back,

the stats don’t show the story for me.

We let them get back in that, Chelsea had no right to. We were so sloppy in possession, unforced errors and lazy tracking back from some players. That’s why their possession was so high, not slick passing or build up play from Chelsea.

Watkins fed on scraps all game, we lumped it up to him god knows how many times, he must have been deflated at the end.

luiz and Carlos had nightmares today and thank god McGinn can turn on a sixpence because he got at least three hospital passes from team mates. 

I just wish we hadn’t got more injuries to worry about, and I wish Konsa sparked out half their attacking lineup.

what I did see is that Chelsea are a very immature side, Gallagher as the ring leader but they are a rabble of talented morons… they won’t be top next year, no chance 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

We'll still get 4th but we need to beat Palace now unfortunately it goes to last game of the season. 

Given how Brighton are playing do you not think that game is very winnable ? They have been shit for months 

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Back from the game and firstly, a fantastic evening with my 12 year old, who loved his first match outing at Villa Park.  Great atmosphere and I thought the fans were great throughout.

The game, well we were certainly clinical first half and basically robbed them of a two goal lead somehow. Rogers took his goal brilliantly. However, Tielemans going off clearly disrupted us, as we needed three in the middle today against a very good Chelsea press. Silva adds such a calmness to their backline and without him, you can see why they concede so many. Gallagher definitely gives them something in the middle. If they had a decent striker, they’d be pushing a top four place.

Second half was worse than the first half and we rarely got any joy going forward. Passing was sloppy throughout the game but worse still second half. In truth we were clinging on and a draw perhaps flattered us. The ruled out goal was the correct decision in my view, it’s a blatant push in the back. Can’t understand why Chelsea are so angry?

However, we were just pleased to be at the game, saw some good goals today and I can’t knock the team. We looked a little lost, couldn’t pass, couldn’t get going, so basically a point gained.  Just hope the injuries to Tielemans and Martinez are nothing serious and minor enough so both will be fit next week?

Over to you Tottenham. I’ll certainly take this seven point lead for now.  

Glad you a your lad had a great night mate, yes it wasn’t the result we all wanted but going the game with your kids is what it’s all about. My favourite memory’s as a kid was going the game with my family. 

• Thanks 1

Simply allowed Chelsea far too much space and time. There was no press on the player in possession at all. Conversely, they were all over us the minute we tried to play out from our own box.

23 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That is the problem, he doesn't inspire confidence. If Emi hadn't gone off, I honestly believe we would have taken all three points. 

Really, it was one way traffic….it was inevitable they were going to score..,.they scored against EMI in the 1st half but for a VAR intervention….look at it without the claret and blue specs…..apart from the first 10 mins we’re 2nd best all round…..

• Like 1

Â