Match Thread: UECLQF: Lille v Villa

limpid

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Let me put it this way. If an away tie against Lille intimidates us, we have no business being in the Champions League.

They have appeared in the CL frequently and recently tbf

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

We are trying to get in behind their press.  It’s been a hallmark of the team since Unai took over as manager.  As the half progressed it became more obvious what their triggers have been (a lot of it has been one man running at whoever has the ball for us then two running at whoever passes to while a fourth guy stays spare) and I guess the theory is that if we do get in then we’ve taken half their outfield out of the game.  It’s not working brilliantly, we’ve been pushed right back so there’s still a lot to do even if the passing is accurate.  

Very true - it was a gut reaction. Just seems we are doing it much more than usual and are even more ponderous. There needs to be occasions where we try and pass ourselves up the pitch! Lille are doing very well in stopping our play. 

1 minute ago, Joshie2000 said:

That's because he gets the ball and starts going forward, but as soon as the opposition look at him he turns back, he does it every time, never wants to push the ball past the fullback and run, every team knows how he plays so don't have to worry about him attacking the full back , it amazes me that he was a winger previously.

It looks like we turned up for a nil nil, of we don't wake up and up the tempo we're going out sadly.

Our RB options, Cash and Konsa, are diabolical.

I hope people asking for Konsa to be moved to RB in place of Cash are at least doing so with a sense of irony (ref. the 7 million posts in the past few weeks asking for the exact opposite to happen).

I actually thought we got more of a grip of the midfield as the game went on and ended up with a couple of decent chances - in particular Douglas Luiz’s. 

Let’s hope we can build on that in the second half. I reckon one goal now will settle this.

Well I'm sure Emery can see how utterly shit we were that half. We knew that atmosphere would be intense and that they'd come at us from the first whistle, but we just can't seem to string 2 passes together. Not pressing them at all.

Positives are we're only 1-0 down and still in the tie despite their dominance.

Negatives are that Lille look like they have a lot more energy than us and I can see us tiring as the match goes on.

Hoping for a second half similar to Sunday 🤞 

I think we tried to play the same way we did against Ajax in the away leg of that tie, keep it tight, more long balls than usual to conserve energy, in that game it essentially worked because we didn't concede, but like that game when we do have the ball we're not keeping it well enough, and obviously we conceded early today.

Can't help but feel that our best form of defence might actually be to attack, I know LIlle have good home record in that regard, but we showed we can cause them trouble in the first leg. I imagine the intention would have been to bring on Bailey later, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on at halftime now

6 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Let me put it this way. If an away tie against Lille intimidates us, we have no business being in the Champions League.

How are we intimidated when we've been knocking it around the back for 30 mins?

:lol:

Forward passes haven't presented themselves, so we've not taken chances.  We now have a half of football to play at 0-0.  

Intimidated :lol:

• Confused 2