Match Thread: Villa v Lille

limpid

I'd being KKH on at right back. It's a gamble but we are so exposed with Carlos at the back. It's more of a gamble to leave it as is imho.

Something needs to change in the middle of the pitch too. Youri has done some decent interceptions and tackles, but between those moments we're getting torn apart.

Maybe Tim on for Tielemans. Another gamble but again, one I think we need to take due to the way we're currently exposing the back line.

Just one thing - if our defence plays like this against Arsenal, we will lose 3-0. We can’t cope with a CB pairing of Carlos and no Kamara to shield. But we don’t have any other choices left. 

A quarter of the way through the tie . 1 nil up. But it could be far far worse. Could be Liverpool losing or West Ham facing 19 shots in the first half .  Time for Emery to earn his millions and find a way to combat their midfield having it too easy. 

We’re doing that thing again where we are playing by conserving effort. I’d rather we did that in the second leg when we are protecting a 3-0 lead though! 

We look tired, probably as much mentally as physically, saturday will have taken a lot out of us, I think that was evident in watkins’ post match, ironically he’s the only one who seems to have a bit of zip and energy about him, maybe save for Rogers.

Luiz is frustrating me, he’s done some decent stuff but generally taking too many touches and not seeing the passes on around him, defensively we’re really not in good shape, the sooner we can get cash back the better all round with Konsa back in the middle.

Fingers crossed for a lead at the end of this one 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Either swap positions with McGinn and tielemans or bring Tim on. We are asking for trouble.

Yeah - we clearly need to do something. Personally would prefer to see McGinn and Tielemans switching positions...

Edited by Brumstopdogs

1 minute ago, ozvilla28 said:

So why not play Tim there as the Defence midfielder if where getting exposed.

Don't think Unai trusts Tim unless we're going to be 2-0 or 3-0 up.

Youri's not the most athletic but he's got multiple jobs than just being a CDM.

Tim's been....very unadventurous progressing the ball whereas Youri has shown the progression several times in this match so far.

Just now, ender4 said:

Just one thing - if our defence plays like this against Arsenal, we will lose 3-0. We can’t cope with a CB pairing of Carlos and no Kamara to shield. But we don’t have any other choices left. 

We are almost certain to lose to Arsenal. Let's make that unimportant. 4th or 5th place and this trophy would be heaven.

We're so easy to attack against.

A lot of it comes from Doug and Tielemans. Softer than puppy shit.

Emi Martinez. Man alive. What a goalkeeper.

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

Rogers definitely 'fouled' their defender from the corner to enable the goal. I love this streetwise Villa so much more than the soft touch of the last 30 years.

Would have been a pretty soft free kick. They don't get given generally these days. There wasn't a pull or drag, just a putting of his arm in the way 

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

Tim's been....very unadventurous progressing the ball whereas Youri has shown the progression several times in this match so far.

Lille is progressing the ball past him at will and picking their targets to do so.

6 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Sitting behind the bench and the story of the night has been a full on 30 minute argument between Unai and Ollie.  I have no idea what it was about but Unai was going nuts.  Definitely gonna be having words at half time. 

DSCF2500.jpeg

For 30 minutes???  Or 30 seconds?

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We’re doing that thing again where we are playing by conserving effort. I’d rather we did that in the second leg when we are protecting a 3-0 lead though! 

Hope you’ve got your £10 donation to VT ready  

Just now, MrBlack said:

Would have been a pretty soft free kick. They don't get given generally these days. There wasn't a pull or drag, just a putting of his arm in the way 

I know. So CUTE! #UTV

• Like 1

Jesus, I don't recognise the match I've been watching from the previous couple of pages. Sloppy passing yes, but we look dangerous, and with a bit better passing, and execution we would have another goal or two.

• Like 3

Just now, useless said:

Some bloody over reactions in here, we haven't been that bad

Yes we have mate, we are all Villa supporters but if you think we have played better than poor then I think you are wrong...

• Haha 1

Really not a fan of Konsa at RB.

He's ok when he stays back but when he does these stupid runs forwards he leaves us so exposed.

He doesn't have the athleticism of a fullback to get up and down the pitch.

• Like 1