New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

5 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Fair points. To be honest, I would expect new road junctions, light rail extensions etc as part of the project, which would be huge and very expensive.
There's no cheap or perfect options here, just options that are either suitable or not. We need room, and good transport link potential, and that area from Bickenhill to Water Orton represents the best or most suitable in my opinion. It might mean "muscling in" on some existing proposals too.

Given the cost of building a new stadium and creating the infrastructure to support it - I think the option of buying up houses around Villa Park for a third of the price and expanding where we are probably makes better sense.

Although we're not, as we're not currently looking at major expansion, we're looking at increased yield.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Given the cost of building a new stadium and creating the infrastructure to support it - I think the option of buying up houses around Villa Park for a third of the price and expanding where we are probably makes better sense.

Although we're not, as we're not currently looking at major expansion, we're looking at increased yield.

It would depend on how its financed and also if its even possible to support the logistics of expanding VP. The extra traffic, parking, rail etc. A new stadium might be easier to find sponsorship for, not only commercially but from the government / lottery. And yes, buying up property around VP would be a cheaper option in the short term for sure, but if its not fit for for purpose in 10 years because we need to expand again and have maxed what's possible at VP, we'd have the same issues.

I'm not saying don't do the expand VP option, just that it might be best to start from scratch in the long run. Patch the roof vs new roof.

Regarding your second point. If we're not currently looking at major expansion, how does the club intend to compete with other top clubs financially if a significantly larger stadium isn't in the plans? And what was the point of the architectural designs and declared plans to expand to 53k?
How does it intend to satisfy the clear demand for extra tickets? Increasing the yield without expanding the stadium means what exactly? Just better commercial partnerships, a few extra seats from a rethink layout, and increasing ticket prices? Great, but that won't nearly be enough.

Edited by Mazrim

Limiting supply means they’ll be able to charge more per ticket. So in the long run, they can see us making more money per ticket with a 45,000 capacity rather than a 55,000 capacity. Don’t West Ham and Man City have an issue in that they give away a load of free tickets a game? If there’s such a surplus, the cost of the ticket goes down. 

I don’t agree with this, by the way, I just think this is the current thinking. 

7 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

How does it intend to satisfy the clear demand for extra tickets? Increasing the yield without expanding the stadium means what exactly? Just better commercial partnerships and increasing ticket prices? Great, but that won't nearly be enough.

In the short term (the next 6-8 years), I don't think the club does intend to satisfy the demand for extra tickets. Additional general access seating isn't a big driver on revenue - in the immediate (the next six months) the club intends to add a large amount of new hospitality places, adding a thousand people paying £200+ a game is simpler and more cost effective than adding four thousand seats - the club will also look at its hospitality offers and experiences to find out where it can find the opportunity to charge people £2,000 a game. That's the model - that's how Chelsea do it - you create a stadium with 44,000 places, where 6,000 of them are Hospitality.

Building a larger stadium, in the scheme of things, doesn't actually make a club an enormous amount more income - for the bigger clubs in the league, commercial revenue and sponsorship partnerships make three times the amount that stadiums do. Even Spurs, with their state of the art billion pound investment make twice as much through sponsorship as they do through matchday income.

We're maximising what we have while concentrating our growth in the areas where we're furthest behind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cb_82 said:

NEC talked about alott, what about Alexander stadium ? Obviously in a different format but is that council owned and could we develop the site? Its in Villa area too

Nearest station is Perry Barr and that's a longer walk than Witton and Aston. It's also boxed in by M6 and A34 so would be travel chaos given there's only really one access road skirting around it.

It's o.k hosting what it does now but I don't think it's feasible at all plonking a 60k stadium there for use every 10 days or so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Building a larger stadium, in the scheme of things, doesn't actually make a club an enormous amount more income - for the bigger clubs in the league, commercial revenue and sponsorship partnerships make three times the amount that stadiums do. Even Spurs, with their state of the art billion pound investment make twice as much through sponsorship as they do through matchday income.

We're maximising what we have while concentrating our growth in the areas where we're furthest behind.

Of course but it does increase revenue, it does increase the image of the club which increases the fan base and sponsorship.

it increases the value of the club for whenever they want to sell their stakes too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Of course but it does increase revenue, it does increase the image of the club which increases the fan base and sponsorship.

it increases the value of the club for whenever they want to sell their stakes too.

Absolutely, I'm still sad that the new North Stand isn't going ahead this summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So for all those advocating to stay at Villa Park what annual price rise would you be happy to pay for your season ticket going forward? Realistically it’s going to be a minimum of 10 to 15 percent every year for the foreseeable future. 

That’s without getting into the inevitable rebranding of existing season tickets as hospitality/experience tickets. 

Hi Dakota.is it a zero sum game?

I just wanted them to stick with the plan they had which seemed to be based around the Trinity and New greatly enlarged, North being the best offering on hospitality and new retail, good offerings in Villa Live/ Warehouse. 

What I am not a fan of is shoving in more hospitality into the current set up and increasing the prices year on year.

I am sure any potential New stadium will also have eye watering prices.  

16 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I just wanted them to stick with the plan they had which seemed to be based around the Trinity and New greatly enlarged, North being the best offering on hospitality and new retail, good offerings in Villa Live/ Warehouse. 

What I am not a fan of is shoving in more hospitality into the current set up and increasing the prices year on year.

That is the price of competing in the upper third in the table....

21 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It absolutely is in the context of season ticket prices if we stay at VP unless they find a way to knock down and completely rebuild the north stand and Doug Ellis.

The larger capacity, hospitality and non football related revenue we have the less pressure there will be on increasing season ticket prices. 

I cannot for the life of me comprehend that we aren’t thinking about a new stadium. 

Half of our stadium isn’t fit for purpose in the modern day and the Holte End, if you take away its size, isn’t exactly state of the art. 

Build me a new stadium with a nice brick facade and I’m happy. 

• Like 2

On 24/03/2024 at 21:09, Okonokos said:

Last I looked, we were Aston Villa. Not Marston Green Villa.

Come on you Greenies. 

• Haha 1

On 25/03/2024 at 09:34, Mic09 said:

It's not even comparable to Wimbledon moving to MK. 

NEC is in the same city - it's 15 mins down the M6

What? When was Aston absorbed into Solihull? 

6 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

It absolutely is in the context of season ticket prices if we stay at VP unless they find a way to knock down and completely rebuild the north stand and Doug Ellis.

The larger capacity, hospitality and non football related revenue we have the less pressure there will be on increasing season ticket prices. 

I agree with your point, that's why I wanted a 50k plus Villa Park. We actually are on the same page just I think we can do it where we are.

If Villa Park was at Perry Barr, and the Astown Lower Ground was a vacant site, people would be saying "wow, look, it has a major arterial roadway, a rail way line, two railway stations, 13 acres, it's perfect for a new stadium".

I can't see many better sites than where we are.

On 25/03/2024 at 10:19, HKP90 said:

History doesn't work like that. You don't erase it. We've won 7 FA cups, the league and the top level of european competition while playing games at Villa Park. 

Ermm. Some of those cup wins were before we moved to Villa Park 😝

I'm pretty sure Birmingham International Railway station sees less carriages per hour than Aston and Witton combined. Cross City Line the busiest railway line outside of London. 

And I dearly hope The NEC are kind enough not to put on eg Crufts or Spring Fair or any major pop concerts when we're playing at home because the carnage people see at Villa Park now would be nothing in comparison.