Penalty shoot out line up

colhint

The problem with Watkins is that you want your penalties to be hit hard and he really isn't a good driver of the ball. He has succeeded this year because he gets into good positions that enable him to score without power. In past years, when he has tried to drive shots, he has often ended up shooting straight at the keeper.

• 1 month later...
On 17/03/2024 at 05:00, RadioTom said:

This is all completely irrelevant. We’ve got Emi Martinez, so only need to score one pen to win any shootout. 

Told you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/03/2024 at 02:06, TomC said:

The problem with Watkins is that you want your penalties to be hit hard and he really isn't a good driver of the ball. He has succeeded this year because he gets into good positions that enable him to score without power. In past years, when he has tried to drive shots, he has often ended up shooting straight at the keeper.

The penalty he took last night was as good as any penalty you'll see.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

But it could easily have been put far over the bar as he slipped, as the only player....I think it was more luck than skill

Edited by Taxahunter

42 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He slipped over and it clearly went far higher than he intended.

By far the best penalty of the night was taken by our designated penalty taker at the time when the pressure was the highest. Dougy has ice in his veins

• Like 1

my list pre shootout was luiz, watkins, tielemans, diaby and rodgers. imagine the last two would've been on the list in sudden death

i didn't want bailey to take one. just had a bad feeling...thought he'd try something silly but as it happens there wasn't much wrong with his pen

cash was the main surprise for me. really good pen.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Was very close to double kicking it. There's always drama with Ollie and penalties. I have to give him credit for scoring given it was a ridiculous delay with Emi and then the other ball being thrown on the pitch but I just never feel confident when he's running up. Compare to Tielemans and Luiz who are just ice cold and side foot into corners.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was very close to double kicking it. There's always drama with Ollie and penalties. I have to give him credit for scoring given it was a ridiculous delay with Emi and then the other ball being thrown on the pitch but I just never feel confident when he's running up. Compare to Tielemans and Luiz who are just ice cold and side foot into corners.

Did you notice how close the ref was to Luiz when he took his? Almost in his line of sight and even had the audacity to almost start walking as Dougie was running up. Crazy, when you reflect on it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

By far the best penalty of the night was taken by our designated penalty taker at the time when the pressure was the highest. Dougy has ice in his veins

Watch the ref as Dougie is taking his penalty, Unreal!!

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

But it could easily have been put far over the bar as he slipped, as the only player....I think it was more luck than skill

He slipped after the kick, otherwise he would have missed. Credit where it's due.

36 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

To be fair, it was 2 and a half minutes from the time he walked up to the time the ref blew for him to take it. 

Thats an insane amount of time. Great mental fortitude to not shank it to row z. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When Unai last won a european trophy every single player in his team scored a penalty that night.

We'll all be ready for the next one. Digne, Konsa and Pau could've all taken them if we'd had different players on the pitch.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Did you see him do little keepie ups on the walk to the spot!? He’s ice cold ❄️ 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

Â