Penalty shoot out line up

colhint

4 minutes ago, colhint said:

For far too long we've never had to think of this. This season in the ECL it could possibly be the case. So who's your line up. Mine in no particular order

Dougie

Youri

Lucas

Pau 

SJM

All good clean strikers of the ball.

Though we'd only need three with Emi in goal

Bailey would take one if he's still on. Think he scored a few for Leverkusen.

Trying to remember who scored at Chelsea in our last shoot out? Think Konsa scored so he could be a surprise option.

Most nervous part of any future shootout would be Ollie stepping up. Never confident in him stepping up for us in the assured way Luiz is and their respective records for us taking penalties indicate it.

Edited by VillaChris

Can be hard to predict as 6 subs can now be made with extra-time added so it's more likely that players on the bench would take one, so if the likes of Bailey/Alex Moreno/Tielemans, start they are all very unlikely to play 120 minutes.

• Watkins
  • McGinn
  • Luiz
  • Tielemans
  • Bailey

Off the top of my head - let Watkins confidence start you off, McGinn's sense of responsibility, then Doug with the key one, Tielemans I think would take a good one and Bailey would enjoy the limelight if it came to number five - there's probably room for Pau in there and if it goes longer than about seven I'd have Martinez taking one - he'd love it.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:
  • Watkins
  • McGinn
  • Luiz
  • Tielemans
  • Bailey

Off the top of my head - let Watkins confidence start you off, McGinn's sense of responsibility, then Doug with the key one, Tielemans I think would take a good one and Bailey would enjoy the limelight if it came to number five - there's probably room for Pau in there and if it goes longer than about seven I'd have Martinez taking one - he'd love it.

Far too risky to let Ollie go first. Would be similar pressure to him going up against the Kop and he couldn't even get it on target which was really poor.

Tielemans scored a few for Leicester and Luiz has been excellent since taking over duties so those two feel pretty reliable ones. Bailey and one of Digne/Moreno as left footers would also mix up the shoot out nicely.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Far too risky to let Ollie go first. Would be similar pressure to him going up against the Kop and he couldn't even get it on target which was really poor.

Tielemans scored a few for Leicester and Luiz has been excellent since taking over duties so those two feel pretty reliable ones. Bailey and one of Digne/Moreno as left footers would also mix up the shoot out nicely.

Have to let your leading scorer take one and the first one has the highest chance of success. Sticking him anywhere around 3-5 is the highest pressure.

• Like 1

If Ollie is to take one, he has to go first. I'd also feel sick with nerves.

• Watkins
  • McGinn 
  • Doug
  • Tielemans
  • Bailey

----

• Digne
  • Torres 
  • Konsa

Would be my order. I think Tielemans would do well to make it through 120 mins.

I think a ref would love to send Martinez off in a shootout to get a bit of attention. We'd be so so confident going into one with Emi in net. And the effect on the opponent! They'd feel they were going up against the unbeatable.

I love Ollie and he's playing very well, scoring goals, with some clinical finishing too - but I genuinely wouldn't have him taking one of the first five. 

I think he's took 9 in his career and missed FIVE! 

1. Luiz.

2. Tielemans.

3. McGinn.

4. Digne.

5. Torres.

There's not many in our squad I actually wouldn't fancy to score though including Emi 😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

• Watkins
  • McGinn 
  • Doug
  • Tielemans
  • Bailey

----

• Digne
  • Torres 
  • Konsa

I think a ref would love to send Martinez off in a shootout to get a bit of attention. We'd be so so confident going into one with Emi in net. And the effect on the opponent! They'd feel they were going up against the unbeatable.

Good point re Tielemans. 

A lot would depend whos left on the pitch after 120+ mins.

6 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I love Ollie and he's playing very well, scoring goals, with some clinical finishing too - but I genuinely wouldn't have him taking one of the first five. 

I think he's took 9 in his career and missed FIVE! 

1. Luiz.

2. Tielemans.

3. McGinn.

4. Digne.

5. Torres.

There's not many in our squad I actually wouldn't fancy to score though including Emi 😎

The truth is that most of the penalty takers will have not taken a penalty in game.

Ollie has some data, however ugly it may be, and will surely be on the pitch at 120. That he was trusted to take pens in the first place means he's not completely awful at them in training so I would be extremely surprised not to see him in the five.

I would have Emi taking a penalty before a lot of other players, penalties are as much about keeping your nerve and his technique isnt bad

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

The truth is that most of the penalty takers will have not taken a penalty in game.

Ollie has some data, however ugly it may be, and will surely be on the pitch at 120. That he was trusted to take pens in the first place means he's not completely awful at them in training so I would be extremely surprised not to see him in the five.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think he will take one for sure. I just personally wouldn't include him in my list of 5... though I'd still be very hopeful he would find the net if or when it happens.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

• Watkins
  • McGinn 
  • Doug
  • Tielemans
  • Bailey

----

• Digne
  • Torres 
  • Konsa

Konsa over Ramsey? Na not for me, think Konsa would be poor. 

Amazed people would trust Watkins let alone make him first up.  He's proved he's pretty shite at pens generally even without the pressure of being in a shoot out.  I wouldn't have him  anywhere near the first 5 takers.  Maybe not even the second five.  Also Diaby looks like he can't strike a ball properly and I'm not convinced Bailey would be suited to pens.   For me Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans, Ramsey, Torres and Digne all look like they have the technique and calmness to take a good pen.    

• Like 3

4 hours ago, El Segundo said:

Amazed people would trust Watkins let alone make him first up.  He's proved he's pretty shite at pens generally even without the pressure of being in a shoot out.  I wouldn't have him  anywhere near the first 5 takers.  Maybe not even the second five.  Also Diaby looks like he can't strike a ball properly and I'm not convinced Bailey would be suited to pens.   For me Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans, Ramsey, Torres and Digne all look like they have the technique and calmness to take a good pen.    

Bailey hasnt scored a club penalty in 8 years by the looks of it and Diaby hasn't scored one ever at club level

Based on the stats about conversion rate decreasing I'm going something like:

Ramsey
Tielemans
Bailey
McGinn
Luiz

Then if necessary:

Kamara
Torres
Zaniolo
Konsa
Rodgers