Penalty shoot out line up

colhint

Loved Luiz telling the ref to just get out of his face and blow the whistle for his penalty last night, and then still doing his customary thing of waiting until he was ready to start his run up - that pause he does after the refs whistle seems to me to be psychological and all about him taking it when he’s ready, not anyone else.

Watkins’ effort, I’ve rewatched it a few times to see if the slip affected the trajectory of the shot, it’s hard to tell as the slip seems largely to occur after the strike but who knows, I wrote in the match thread that I wondered if whether he scored or not would have a bearing on his selection for the Euros and it’s a shame he slipped as it may cloud safegates (already clouded) judgement.

What a buzz it was though to win that way, Martinez is such a character and such a good keeper, we are so so fortunate to have him, long may it continue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The penalty he took last night was as good as any penalty you'll see.

Agreed. Ollie has taken leaps and bounds forwards this year. Power still is not his strength, but that was a great penalty.

14 minutes ago, TomC said:

Agreed. Ollie has taken leaps and bounds forwards this year. Power still is not his strength, but that was a great penalty.

Lineker, Cottee, Smith and Cole, all great forwards whose power in shooting wasn't the greatest, if he scores as many as them, he'll do for me.

• Like 1

Just thinking of our general shoot out record. Am I right in thinking the only serious shoot out we've lost in last 30 years was 1999 against West Ham? And that match got replayed in the end because they put on an ineligible player.

We've had the shoot out wins v Tranmere, Inter Milan, Bolton, Sunderland and West Brom before last night so a very good record indeed compared to most clubs.

Think it's due to the keepers we had at the time being great presences for those occasions. Bosnich, James had that Emi type presence facing penalties and Guzan and Steer also did well in the more recent ones. Also usually have a core of experienced penalty takers which helps aswell.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just thinking of our general shoot out record. Am I right in thinking the only serious shoot out we've lost in last 30 years was 1999 against West Ham? And that match got replayed in the end because they put on an ineligible player.

We've had the shoot out wins v Tranmere, Inter Milan, Bolton, Sunderland and West Brom before last night so a very good record indeed compared to most clubs.

Think it's due to the keepers we had at the time being great presences for those occasions. Bosnich, James had that Emi type presence facing penalties and Guzan and Steer also did well in the more recent ones. Also usually have a core of experienced penalty takers which helps aswell.

We lost to Chelsea two seasons ago in the league cup on penalties but otherwise yes our record is pretty good as far as I can see (and recall).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Loved Luiz telling the ref to just get out of his face and blow the whistle for his penalty last night, and then still doing his customary thing of waiting until he was ready to start his run up - that pause he does after the refs whistle seems to me to be psychological and all about him taking it when he’s ready, not anyone else.

Watkins’ effort, I’ve rewatched it a few times to see if the slip affected the trajectory of the shot, it’s hard to tell as the slip seems largely to occur after the strike but who knows, I wrote in the match thread that I wondered if whether he scored or not would have a bearing on his selection for the Euros and it’s a shame he slipped as it may cloud safegates (already clouded) judgement.

What a buzz it was though to win that way, Martinez is such a character and such a good keeper, we are so so fortunate to have him, long may it continue.

He slipped by accident, nothing for Southgate to read into that. I know he's a word removed, but surely he has to take Ollie. 19 goals, no penalties, he's a must.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

German like.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I can’t remember this !!

On 26/02/2024 at 21:45, Tomaszk said:

think a ref would love to send Martinez off in a shootout to get a bit of attention. We'd be so so confident going into one with Emi in net. And the effect on the opponent! They'd feel they were going up against the unbeatable.

Wow, you called last night back in Feb!

Give us the lottery numbers for 3 months time?

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t remember this !!

Southgate missed the 5th one.

West Ham put on a player right at the end who'd played for Gillingham in a previous round so it was replayed early in 2000 and we won 3-1 (think Taylor scored in that game aswell).

• Thanks 1

Â