Penalty shoot out line up

colhint

JJ has some of the best shot placement at power I've seen so he'd definitely be in there.

Also crazy that our free scoring striker should be nowhere near the pens.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Have to let your leading scorer take one and the first one has the highest chance of success. Sticking him anywhere around 3-5 is the highest pressure.

Not really, when he has proved that he can't be relied upon to take penalties

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah I’d have Martinez taking the first penalty for maximum psych-out effect.

I imagine he'd relish the chance, and even if he missed you'd just back him to then perform even better saving them such is his confidence.  Might not be a bad shout 🤔

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Since it's a penalty shootout I imagine Zaniolo will have been subbed on and will be taking a pen. According to Transfermarkt he's 3 from 4 which isn't bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Not really, when he has proved that he can't be relied upon to take penalties

Would be shocked if Watkins isn’t in the first five. Think people are overreacting to a small sample size of penalties. 

4 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Would be shocked if Watkins isn’t in the first five. Think people are overreacting to a small sample size of penalties. 

I don't think that 5 missed out of 9 is a small sample size

• Like 4

im getting nervous sitting here even thinking about having to go to a penalty shootout. genuinely think id have to leave the room if this happened anytime soon.

in saying that lets get Ollie back on pens. theres no physical or technical reason why he shouldnt be able to clearing in the woods one in from the spot. Plus he is peaking and looking at his most confident than ive ever seen him on the pitch

Interestingly enough, Argentina and France both went best taker first.

While obviously Emi played an important role, trusting the then 22 year old Tchouameni in the 3rd spot was a choice. 

And everyone knows about England vs Italy

3 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

im getting nervous sitting here even thinking about having to go to a penalty shootout. genuinely think id have to leave the room if this happened anytime soon.

in saying that lets get Ollie back on pens. theres no physical or technical reason why he shouldnt be able to clearing in the woods one in from the spot. Plus he is peaking and looking at his most confident than ive ever seen him on the pitch

I’d agree and hope that this is the reason that there won’t be a penalty shootout to worry about. 

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

By definition, 9 is a minuscule sample size. 

When you see how rarely we get a penalty, then 9 isn't miniscule.

How many do we get a season? 3? and more that 50% missed and some of them didn't even hit the target, then I don't want him near our penalties

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Sorry that was meant to be in response to your earlier post on Ollie’s forum and whether we should have him back on penalties in general. That was addressed to, or should have been to @melvillan I’ll get there in the end, hopefully 🤣

15 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

When you see how rarely we get a penalty, then 9 isn't miniscule.

How many do we get a season? 3? and more that 50% missed and some of them didn't even hit the target, then I don't want him near our penalties

It’s true that we rarely get many penalties for it to be statistically significant but presumably Ollie isn’t so bad at them in training that he hits less than 50%. Don’t think Unai would oblige Ollie  

That we have so few meant a change to Dougie which is no surprise. 

On continued thought, Ollie will certainly be on the pitch at 120 whereas I’d be very surprised if either Youri or Leon will be there at full time. Certainly changes the calculus on who’s taking what penalties. I’m not even certain McGinn will be there at 120. 

The point about the declining success rate is interesting (I didn't know that), and I think pretty persuasive that you'd want Ollie up first. It's not realistic that he wouldn't take one. 

That said, he really is rubbish at them. I can't remember the last game he took one, but there was one where he was given it so he could score a hat-trick wasn't there? I remember the close-up of his face on camera, he looked absolutely terrified. It was exactly how I'd look if I was doing it. 

• Like 1

Â