Do you tip? (in the UK)

ender4

Do you tip in restaurants  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tip in restaurants?

• Always (unless the service/food is terrible)
    • Most of the time (if the service/food has been decent)
    • Sometimes yes, sometimes no (depends on a number of factors)
    • Occasionally (only if the service/food has been fantastic)
    • Never

1 minute ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The US is different where paying people a minimum wage is like resurrecting chairman Mao.

This is what annoys me, the food isn’t cheap but the money is not going to the staff. Pisses me off that I’m paying full whack for the food and then also made to pay 20% on top so that the waitress can cloth and feed her kids.

Same in an American bar, you’re expected to tip every time you buy something but it feels wrong.

• Like 1

The only person I ever tip without fail is a taxi driver for some reason, pay cash and always round it up

Food depends on the general happiness after the meal and how I pay, usually a couple of quid but i don't always carry cash, don't base it on a percentage, never add tip by card 

I always go out my way to put my tip craftily in the waitresses hand rather than it go to a central pool that the boss "splits". That is if I pay with cash.

Don't trust the owners generally. 

26 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I always go out my way to put my tip craftily in the waitresses hand rather than it go to a central pool that the boss "splits". That is if I pay with cash.

Don't trust the owners generally. 

i imagine said waitress will chuck that money into said pool anyway as would probably lose her job if she's seen to be pocketing it...not worth the risk for a couple of quid

in recent years i've gone from 'sometimes' to 'most of the time'. if i'm paying £90 for a meal i don't have an issue rounding it up to £100 if there's been nothing wrong with the food and service. never has a meal been bad enough for me to request the included service charge to be removed, fortunately

i tip my barber a quid each time mainly because i did it once and kept doing it so if i don't i'd feel awkward...wish i never had in the first place especially since he's put his prices up

never tip cab drivers though unless i happen to have cash so it's easier to not **** about with my 70p change.

i chuck the lads behind the counter at the bookies a couple of quid occasionally too if i've had a good day (yeah, that's also a thing. never knew until i started frequenting betting shops more regularly)

I don’t like it at all and prefer the staff being paid a decent wage, and in a fairly well regulated labour market like Norway I don’t think it’s necessary. But I usually end up tipping anyway. 

I try not to go above rounding up to the next tenner in restaurants or the next full pound for drinks, though. 

I'll tip a proper waitress/waiter who takes orders, takes payment etc. But if I'm paying at the counter and someone just brings the food out then no. 

I always used to tip the barber but Mrs Sidcow does it now (the hair cutting, not the tipping). 

Tipping culture is about to go up a notch. On a recent trip to New York, tipping is being added as payment options in just about every scenario. I kid you not, I had an option to tip at a self service checkout while grocery shopping in Target. If it’s happening there, it’ll be here before too long. 

Always depends on service.

My barber does an exceptional job, puts tunes on that I like, knows when I fancy a chat and knows when I don't, gives a splendid haircut and beard trim and has introduced me to a number of excellent people within his network. Buying him a pint every two weeks when I get my fade done has paid for itself massively.

Bars/Pubs - I always buy the bar staff a drink when I get the first round in - I've no objection spending £1 - £5 if I'm gonna spend a lot of money there, and I expect nothing back in return - BUT, I quite often find that helps open the door to better service, not only that night, but in the future too.

Restaurants - I like to tip, but I never really know what it's worth. Only tonight, been out for dinner, service was great, but food took ages and was very very average - The waitress did nothing wrong, but with a bill of £60, 15% would be £9 - She brought 5 dishes out, as chatty as she was, does that deserve £9 tip? I rounded the bill up and left it at that, and that's more protest at the food than the service.

4 hours ago, choffer said:

cab drivers get a tip/fare rounded up if they've been chatty or friendly (or sometimes just if they've not spent the entire trip blaring their own awful music, which seems to be a trend). 

You’ve been in my cab haven’t you , you tight arsed bastard :D 

• Haha 1

When I used to travel a lot globally. I would tip big and early. I was taught this by a guy in his 70s who was a salesman. If I knew I was in a hotel for 10 days or so, which was frequent, I would personally go down to reception or the bar as soon as I could after check in. Explain that I might be working awkward hours and maybe grumpy sometimes with all the pressure, ( i was rarely under pressure). Anyway I would offer  100 dollar tip there and then to make up for my shortcomings. It was received so well I got every upgrade going and rarely had to leave a tip.

4 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Unless the service is really exceptional, I mean really doing something special, why does anyone tip? Is it out of pity for people doing low paid jobs?

My mate works in a restaurant in Bham 3 days a week (Thurs, Fri, Sat) and earns roughly £900 a week for those 3 days a week, mainly from tips.

So over £40k a year for working 3 days a week. 

He’s been a waiter for over 20 years now and loves the money and the free time the job gives him.

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'll tip a proper waitress/waiter who takes orders, takes payment etc. But if I'm paying at the counter and someone just brings the food out then no.

oh definitely. similarly if i sit down and they're like "you can order and pay on our app if you like" as some of these italian chains like zizzi and ask have now

I usually discreetly  leave £20 inside the bill thingy as a I leave the table   , I'm basing that on a meal for the 2  or 4 of us , not a huge gathering of 20 people.

I just figure its a nice drink in it for the person who served us  , there is already a service charge on top most times that the rest of the staff will have shared out amongst themselves.

If its a curry night with a group , I usually let someone else take charge , if its £27 a head they would probably round it up to £30  and I just go with it 

11 hours ago, colhint said:

When I used to travel a lot globally. I would tip big and early. I was taught this by a guy in his 70s who was a salesman. If I knew I was in a hotel for 10 days or so, which was frequent, I would personally go down to reception or the bar as soon as I could after check in. Explain that I might be working awkward hours and maybe grumpy sometimes with all the pressure, ( i was rarely under pressure). Anyway I would offer  100 dollar tip there and then to make up for my shortcomings. It was received so well I got every upgrade going and rarely had to leave a tip.

Ha , reminded me when I went to Gwailor  , i tipped the porter when he bought our bags up and confused my currencies so ended up giving him about $5 (equiv) .. should probably give around 50 cents( equiv) out in India for that back then. 

few minutes later , knock on the door , someone offering to fluff the pillows and turn down the the bed   ..couple of minutes later , knock on the door someone came into the room to check the towels and make sue they were aligned correctly  on the towel rail  ... next knock was a man with some toilet rolls  , next knock was to see if we'd like a cup of tea 

World had obviously got out that there was a billionaire in town or a stupid clearing in the woods that didn't know his currencies and everyone in the hotel wanted in on it 

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The only person I ever tip without fail is a taxi driver for some reason, pay cash and always round it up

Food depends on the general happiness after the meal and how I pay, usually a couple of quid but i don't always carry cash, don't base it on a percentage, never add tip by card 

I’m the complete opposite. Tip pretty much every service apart from taxi drivers unless they’re particularly kind/honest/whatever.

I always get a black cab to avoid using Uber, but I also know how much it costs to get home. If they start taking the piss and I’m playing the bartering game then not a chance am I tipping - and that happens most of the time. 

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’m the complete opposite. Tip pretty much every service apart from taxi drivers unless they’re particularly kind/honest/whatever.

I always get a black cab to avoid using Uber, but I also know how much it costs to get home. If they start taking the piss and I’m playing the bartering game then not a chance am I tipping - and that happens most of the time. 

to be fair the only time I ever get a taxi is going home when I'm incapable of walking...I always see them as a life saver, they're going £8.20 down the road and I've got £10 in my pocket, they're keeping the note

Â