Do you tip? (in the UK)

ender4

Do you tip in restaurants  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tip in restaurants?

• Always (unless the service/food is terrible)
    • Most of the time (if the service/food has been decent)
    • Sometimes yes, sometimes no (depends on a number of factors)
    • Occasionally (only if the service/food has been fantastic)
    • Never

Normally yes, although the majority of places I go to regularly have long-since adopted the "optional" tip already added to the bill. 

Uber or black cab drivers get a tip/fare rounded up if they've been chatty or friendly (or sometimes just if they've not spent the entire trip blaring their own awful music, which seems to be a trend). 

A few things about what I am about to say may ring some alarm bells.

When I go to the barbers, for a haircut, which is every 3 weeks, I always tip the barber. He must think all of his Christmases come at once. I am technically bald, he just makes me feel even more balder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MrsVM and  me both spent a lot of our formative years in the service industry, so we like to tip when someone's trying but we wont when it's chucked at you but it's more there to be lost rather than gained if you get me. I dont want tips going to the owner, the till or split with the chef either its for the waiting staff wh served me.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Less so in the age of the ‘service charge’ being added to the bill

Do you ever get the optional service charge removed, say if the food or service hasn't been good.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Do you ever get the optional service charge removed, say if the food or service hasn't been good.

I never have but I would if I felt it was particularly bad.  I usually just glance at the bill, see it and then just think that I don’t need to tip.

Edited by Wainy316

This is less relevant to me now, but generally...

Restaurants - yes unless theres a service charge or if the service has been shite. I also don't subscribe to the 'percentage of the bill' thing - the tip is whatever I think is reasonable for the meal.

Barber - yes. Never much though, couple of quid.

Taxi - round up fare and keep change, unless I can tell they've taken the piss. I've more often than I care to remember been in taxis where I know they've taken a shitty route and in those cases they get the fare and thats it, regardless if it's a pain in the arse to sort out the change.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Always, even if the food/service has been awful.

And quite a big % I'm guessing in the US? 

• Like 1

Yes, most of the time.

I don't always tip when it's a go up to the counter and place your order, grab your own cutlery kind of deal.

But an actual restaurant where the waiter/waitress looks after you, takes your order etc etc then I always will.

Amount varies but 10% minimum unless they've been shit

Edit: I'd rarely tip extra if there was a service charge

Edited by Stevo985

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And quite a big % I'm guessing in the US? 

20%, anywhere I go on planet. Exceptions would be large parties where a 20% gratuity is included in bill, but even then, people give. Everyone's different, but I expect eye-rolling and entertainly snide service in Manhattan -- lots of out of work actors, etc. Doesn't change my tip, of course not. I'm not rewarding them to be nice to me. 

I don't think I've ever had service bad enough I refused to tip.  I don't think I've ever gone above 10% though.  The one grey area for me is when I get a curry delivered, it's just a takeaway so its sole business purpose is to make the food and deliver it, so I think I've already paid for the service.  I always tip the barber even though it takes two weeks for it to look remotely decent but I like the fact he chats a bit about football and nothing else, just gets on with it.

I almost always tip 10% unless there’s a service charge.

Although I increasingly find that people just hand me the card machine with the no-tip amount already entered, and in that situation I can’t be bothered to get them to go back and change the amount so I can give a tip (I don’t usually carry much cash).

Also I was on holiday last week in Tenerife and joined family who were already out there.  My step mum, who I get along with but is absolute murder when it comes to restaurants, is from Yorkshire and tight as the proverbial, we went to a restaurant they'd already been to twice before I went out and I could tell the waitresses absolutely hated her.  No doubt she didn't tip and made her opinions well known on the previous visits.  Unsurprisingly our food took an hour to come out and I don't blame them.

Unless the service is really exceptional, I mean really doing something special, why does anyone tip? Is it out of pity for people doing low paid jobs?

The US is different where paying people a minimum wage is like resurrecting chairman Mao.

• Like 2

Â