villa89

They’ll pick our defence apart with balls to Rashford and Garnacho, especially if it’s the same back 4 as last night. Might as well just go all out attack, as they have defensive issues themselves. An entertaining 4-4 draw.

20 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

They just need to do what Newcastle and Chelsea did; pin their wide men high and wide at all times. Runners betweet our centre backs and full backs. It's so easy and simple to get in behind us.

you cynic.

Can't you just enjoy the game, without looking at things like that...........😂

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

They’ll pick our defence apart with balls to Rashford and Garnacho, especially if it’s the same back 4 as last night. Might as well just go all out attack, as they have defensive issues themselves. An entertaining 4-4 draw.

we need a brick layer.🤣

bricke up goals 2.jpg

Edited by TRO

I'm wriitng this game off as 3 points lost, it'll be good for my mental health. We will just have to make it up elsewhere.

My Acca will include a Man U win, Garnacho to score, both teams to score and Casimero yellow card. 

I understand the doom and gloom after two home defeats in a row, but it’s not that long ago we beat Man City and Arsenal at home. Let’s not forget that. Even with injuries we still have the potential to beat Man United, it’s not a given that they’ll just win. I’m expecting a reaction this weekend, we need a big performance and I think we’ll get one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Zero7 said:

Narrow win for us 1-0, or 2-1 

No chance of keeping a clean sheet if it's the same defence as last night which it will likely be bar us taking a gamble on Pau.

Carlos-Lenglet couldn't see it out at Old Trafford when we were massively under pressure in that second half so I think they'll be a repeat if we're under sustained periods of pressure.

We've played Hojlund into form with that goal he scored v us, Garnacho will give us a very tough game whichever side he plays and we know Fernandes scoring record v us.

I remember last year they played Rashford on the right and he was anonymous so I think that's something to exploit now he's scored a couple after the bad week of press. Once they lose the ball he'll just put his hands on his hips and trot back so that should give Moreno some space to exploit, feels like a game to throw Ramsey into from the start.

Bailey also did well in the games v Man. United so we need to get him cutting infield more quickly and running at Maguire (unless they go with Shaw as LCB).

We can get a 2-2 out of this still but we need to create far more than we did v Chelsea and Newcastle otherwise the match will just pan out like those two with them exploiting us on the break.

• Like 1

Reasons to be optimistic:

Man Utd's away form against the top 10 is very poor: 4 points from a possible 18. They got a last minute winner against Wolves and a  0-0 draw against Liverpool where they sat in their own half all game. 

They still have a negative goal difference. 

Record against top 8 this season: W3 D2 L5

Lisandro Martinez is injured again (their upturn in form coincided with his return).

• Like 1

I'm not usually bothered if we lose, but the 3-2 game on boxing day made me absolutely furious.

Which was a shame because it was my wife's birthday and I beat the shit out of her.. bloody United.

We seem to raise our game when completely necessary, so I'll go a definite 3-0 loss. 

• Haha 1

Very much hoping we can change some starting personnel or tweak the system, or both. 

Pau to start? Tough call after getting no minutes midweek and barely playing this side of Christmas. We desperately need him though, so I’m picking him below in the hope that Emery believes him to be fit. Digne back to make the bench possibly? 

I would also like Cash and Moreno to be more conservative coming forward and create a more solid four at the back, rather than leaving so much space for Garnacho and Rashford to run into.  Having McGinn on the right side and Ramsey back on the left side may help as well? I wouldn’t even be against dropping Kamara for a game and starting McGinn next to Luiz, but I’ll go with both starting the game.

So who to play in the 10 role next to/just behind Watkins? Again, tough call from Bailey, Diaby, Tielemans or even Rogers?  I’ll go Bailey to start but certainly some minutes for Diaby and Rogers in the second half.

Most of all I hope we see an early indicator/reaction from midweek. We at the very least need to match them for work rate and intensity to get anything out of this.  I don’t think it’s a must win game but it’s certainly a must not lose. Really don’t want our league position to be cut to five points. Keep it at eight points with the draw or better still go eleven clear of them with a win.  Just not confident of us keeping a clean sheet again, so might be a case of trying to outscore them:

Martinez

Cash       Carlos       Pau      Moreno

Kamara         Luiz              

McGinn                              Ramsey 

Bailey        Watkins            

Subs:  Olsen, Wright, KKH, Lenglet, Iroegbunam, Tielemans, Rogers, Zaniolo, Diaby

I think it’s going to be a really tough game. Would love to sneak a 2-1 win but my head is saying 2-2 or a narrow defeat.   UTV

Edited by ferguson1

On 07/02/2024 at 21:33, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Annoying that we won't be fresh for this with players playing pointless minutes now.

We will be okay wed-sun isn’t that bad for players tbf … and i think villa prefer this 

The only reason we should have any panic and doubt is simply because it is Man’ f**king’ united the club of our worst nightmares in top flight history but if we are looking at it on paper and form then we shouldn’t be worrying, but i can see why maybe we are shaky after Wednesday night, we just need to keep that discipline again and be confident, players might be thinking about the 3-2 loss in the reverse fixture, but they need to erase that quickly, what we cannot have is that same backline because they are awful, Torres has to be playing that 90 mins and he should have been given minutes against Chelsea to get back into familiarity… and for the first time ever since watching villa from 98’ we are favourites with bookies to win this match only slightly though 🤝

Edited by RicRic

25 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Very much hoping we can change some starting personnel or tweak the system, or both. 

Pau to start? Tough call after getting no minutes midweek and barely playing this side of Christmas. We desperately need him though, so I’m picking him below in the hope that Emery believes him to be fit. Digne back to make the bench possibly? 

I would also like Cash and Moreno to be more conservative coming forward and create a more solid four at the back, rather than leaving so much space for Garnacho and Rashford to run into.  Having McGinn on the right side and Ramsey back on the left side may help as well? I wouldn’t even be against dropping Kamara for a game and starting McGinn next to Luiz, but I’ll go with both starting the game.

So who to play in the 10 role next to/just behind Watkins? Again, tough call from Bailey, Diaby, Tielemans or even Rogers?  I’ll go Bailey to start but certainly some minutes for Diaby and Rogers in the second half.

Most of all I hope we see an early indicator/reaction from midweek. We at the very least need to match them for work rate and intensity to get anything out of this.  I don’t think it’s a must win game but it’s certainly a must not lose. Really don’t want our league position to be cut to five points. Keep it at eight points with the draw or better still go eleven clear of them with a win.  Just not confident of us keeping a clean sheet again, so might be a case of trying to score them:

Martinez

Cash        Carlos       Pau      Moreno

Kamara         Luiz              

McGinn                              Ramsey 

Bailey        Watkins            

Subs:  Olsen, Wright, KKH, Lenglet, Iroegbunam, Tielemans, Rogers, Zaniolo, Diaby

I think it’s going to be a really tough game. Would love to sneak a 2-1 win but my head is saying 2-2 or a narrow defeat.   UTV

Agree but maybe start diaby and then bring on bailey at HT if things arent working, definitely no later than 60 mins thats for sure… i love baileys impact from the bench 

• Like 1

Is this the most important game that Villa have played since we got promoted?  Sliding doors moment?  

If we win, i think we'll qualify for the Champions League and all the extra revenue and exposure means we can then do it again. 

If we lose, i think Man Utd & Spurs will overhaul us for 4th and 5th with our season ending on a whimper.  We miss out on £50 million and next season Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle are stronger.

• Like 1

Don’t think many are feeling too optimistic about this after the last two home games but it’s crucial the fans get behind the players and don’t turn if we go behind. Villa Park is great when things are going well but can also turn quickly. I think the players are feeling the pressure.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Reasons to be optimistic:

Man Utd's away form against the top 10 is very poor: 4 points from a possible 18. They got a last minute winner against Wolves and a  0-0 draw against Liverpool where they sat in their own half all game. 

They still have a negative goal difference. 

Record against top 8 this season: W3 D2 L5

Lisandro Martinez is injured again (their upturn in form coincided with his return).

Trying to be optimistic but pretty sure Newcastle and Chelsea had very poor away records too.

It’s a must win for them. It’s a must not lose for us.