Pre-match thread

wedge

15 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah, kind of agree but also if we go all out at full strength tonight and regardless of result are then really flat and knackered at United, isn't that worse than some fringe players contributing to a muted performance tonight?

If they are flat and knackered on a Sunday after playing Wednesday, we have bigger problems.

I've signed up for ESPN to watch this (and the next rounds), so sorry that I've jinxed everything.

0-1 Chelsea 

Tiago Silva's wife with the late winner

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Nkunku and Palmer are the main threats for them. Bailey and Watkins for us. If Diaby or Ramsey get a chance from the start then they need to put in a performance. I fancy our midfield against theirs.

If our defence doesn’t crumble without Konsa or Pau then I fancy us to win as Chelsea’s defence is really shaky at the mo. Hopefully Pau gets some minutes so he is ready to start on Sunday.

Just now, PieFacE said:

Can't shake the feeling that we're going to lose this one for whatever reason. I also think Diaby will be given the nod instead of Bailey. 

I hope they don't study the Newcastle performance, to gain guidance in this game.....I too fear it could be tough.

We will have to be competitive to gain Authority and influence in the game....they won't stand off us, like Sheff Utd did.

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Yeah, kind of agree but also if we go all out at full strength tonight and regardless of result are then really flat and knackered at United, isn't that worse than some fringe players contributing to a muted performance tonight?

We don't know if players will be knackered at Utd even if they play today. And I want us to succeed in all comps now that we have a chance. You can't know beforehand which one you'll do best in.

• Like 1

Seeing online there's way too many fans/pundits just writing off Chelsea tonight. Not keen on that. 

Really want us to win but we need to be bang on it. They're a very beatable side, just like I thought so in the first leg. There's a good chance of a decent run if we get through. 

• Like 1

The back four pretty much picks itself with injuries, midfield is more complicated, but I would go for:

Emi

Cash       Lenglet    Carlos    Moreno

Kamara              Luiz

Diaby               Youri           McGinn    

Ollie

🤷🏻‍♂️ unless we see Gauci as our cup keeper!? But I doubt that. 

43 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We don't know if players will be knackered at Utd even if they play today. And I want us to succeed in all comps now that we have a chance. You can't know beforehand which one you'll do best in.

Exactly! Winning is the source of momentum. I will feel much more confident about Sunday's game should we win tonight rather than not. This is a great chance for us to maybe get to the quarter - final, then, who knows with a decent draw. In it to win it, or what's the point?

Let's keep that winning habit. As long as were at it from the off, I'm fairly confident we'll get through. 

Come on me Babbys!

• Like 3

Really hope the fans that can make it tonight are loud. We were flat against Newcastle - can make a huge difference! Emery in his press conference and social media comms have all made a point about fans bringing the atmosphere!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

Seeing online there's way too many fans/pundits just writing off Chelsea tonight. Not keen on that. 

Really want us to win but we need to be bang on it. They're a very beatable side, just like I thought so in the first leg. There's a good chance of a decent run if we get through. 

I really don't like the fact that everyone is predicting a Villa win tonight and I've just heard Darren Bent just on Talkshite saying how not one Chelsea player gets in the Villa side, stoking the flames even further.

They aren't playing well but they are more than capable of pulling a performance together.  Plus this is Villa.....we know what we do for other teams or non-scoring strikers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I hope they don't study the Newcastle performance, to gain guidance in this game.....I too fear it could be tough.

We will have to be competitive to gain Authority and influence in the game....they won't stand off us, like Sheff Utd did.

I am sure that every manager will look at Villa and how to beat us, they will be using Sheffield utd when they were at VP and obviously the Newcastle game at VP....