Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought that's what Lange did at villa, he brought in data analysts to support traditional scouting

we will use both and no doubt we will have an absolutely insane amount of data 

on top of that we will then have our team tracking our own players

That's my understanding as well, I think most clubs use the stats/data to narrow down quickly where to look, but you still have to go and look to validate and to find out the intangibles that the data can't give you. Data alone isn't enough, and going searching without the data isn't going to be anywhere near as productive.

Data will also be used to track our own players as you say, both in terms of performance and fitness, during training and matches, and their nutrition probably as well.

As the likes of Brighton and Brentford have shown, data and how you use it can give you an edge over those who are lagging behind in those fields, with the need for value in the transfer market becoming only greater with FFP issues it would be very foolish not to be collecting and using huge amounts of data in recruitment and other areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

That's my understanding as well, I think most clubs use the stats/data to narrow down quickly where to look, but you still have to go and look to validate and to find out the intangibles that the data can't give you. Data alone isn't enough, and going searching without the data isn't going to be anywhere near as productive.

Data will also be used to track our own players as you say, both in terms of performance and fitness, during training and matches, and their nutrition probably as well.

As the likes of Brighton and Brentford have shown, data and how you use it can give you an edge over those who are lagging behind in those fields, with the need for value in the transfer market becoming only greater with FFP issues it would be very foolish not to be collecting and using huge amounts of data in recruitment and other areas.

yep, that's why this whole moneyball in football stuff was nonsense, you can identify players by stats but then you'd still scout them properly, you can identify players with scouts but then still check their stats, so was this idea that the likes of ings was a purslow signing as if to suggest that we never had a scout watch him or an analyst run the numbers

its all part of the modern football machine

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

I have it on good authority that its exactly like football manager and you just run a search, filtering on the attributes you want out of a potential 20. 

It explains why Adama Traore keeps getting signed

• Haha 1

I wonder whether we will do any business this summer.  With Sousa and Nedjekovic (sp) already signed, Buendia and Mings back in the fold.  Lenglet, Hause, Olsen and Dendonker to go.  I wonder if we will bring in another dynamic midfielder to replace/support Kamara but I can't see us doing much else.  Replacement for Lenglet is already here.    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No.

They don't look at a list of numbers and say ah look, this bloke has higher figures so he's better.

That's very much not what they do.

That’s exactly what they do

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, STO said:

I wonder whether we will do any business this summer.  With Sousa and Nedjekovic (sp) already signed, Buendia and Mings back in the fold.  Lenglet, Hause, Olsen and Dendonker to go.  I wonder if we will bring in another dynamic midfielder to replace/support Kamara but I can't see us doing much else.  Replacement for Lenglet is already here.    

Monchi wasn't bought here to buy no one. He a wheeler and dealer

2 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Monchi wasn't bought here to buy no one. He a wheeler and dealer

hopefully, there is MASSIVE opportunity this summer. It is a sliding doors moment

• Like 1

With Digne likely to be sold abroad and Moreno not rediscovering his form from last season if we were to get a starting left back from a fellow prem team which would you fancy? List below is from teams below us where the player would likely want to come if we paid the asking price 

Ait-Nouri

Robinson

Mykolenko

Estupian

Henry

Hickey

Doughty

Would be Robinson for me. Looks class a lot of the time and has a lot of pace. Would likely be the most expensive though. 

Miguel Gutierrez at Girona would do well in this team. Only 22, Real Madrid youth player so highly technical, passing stats are really high, release clause of 28m, bit steep but we might be able to get him for a lower fee potentially.

He's a bit attacking though and I think we might go for a more ‘Digne’ type of player, a bit more defensive perhaps. 

I’ve also changed my mind about the DM options. I’d go all in on Geertruida and play him at DM but then slotting back into the back three when we have possession, either centrally on the right hand side with Konsa central. 

Would mean we could have two attacking fullback options for some games or more defensive with Konsa/Geertruida as the right side of a back four. 

SO we have to upgrade LB, RB, competition for Kamara, probably another forward - and with luck we could be shopping in the champions league bracket. Could be the most luxurious summer of recent times.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, STO said:

Teams who do nothing go backwards, but with the £120m loss in the latest accounts I’m worried we will be restricted. 

But we need to shake up the squad, you mentioned a holding midfielder but we also need a left back and a right sided defender. Our defence is getting old and needs freshening up, plus has some very obvious weaknesses that have been exposed this season. I don’t think two rookie defenders solves that. And talk about Mings coming back, fine, but he’s 31 coming off the back of a bad injury. He’s likely to only be a backup player moving forward and we’ll need someone to replace what he gave us before (I’d go for a right footed Mings but better on the ball).

In midfield/attack we don’t need much as seen through the number of goals scored, unless we sell someone. If we keep everyone I’d look to add Zaniolo just because I think he’ll come good and is young, but if we don’t buy him then maybe loan a quality youngster like Guler or buy Gloukh. 

Our most urgent priorities are in defence, two new starting defenders and a holding midfielder are absolute priorities this summer. 

2 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

With Digne likely to be sold abroad and Moreno not rediscovering his form from last season if we were to get a starting left back from a fellow prem team which would you fancy? List below is from teams below us where the player would likely want to come if we paid the asking price 

Ait-Nouri

Robinson

Mykolenko

Estupian

Henry

Hickey

Doughty

Would be Robinson for me. Looks class a lot of the time and has a lot of pace. Would likely be the most expensive though. 

Suppose these are most realistic but not the most exciting of lists!

Of those Estupinan is the best, been unlucky to be in a piss poor Brighton defence but he’s better at attacking than defending. For the role Moreno is supposed to play he’d be an upgrade and he’s worked with Unai before for a season. Brighton are the worst team to buy players from though, massively inflate their prices. 

I’d maybe take Robinson and Ait Nouri too, but they wouldn’t really elevate us to great heights. None of the others are good enough for Villa IMO. 

Players being mentioned for lb are not an upgrade on what we have. I understand the potential in moving Digne on due to age and wages, but it must be for a genuine upgrade. 

• Like 2

Â