Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Quick lunchtime exercise. Gave myself around £100m (plucked out of thin air; this is just a thought exercise), not specifically thinking about outgoings (although there will obviously be some), and strong consideration to who we have been linked to so far.

• Mario Hermoso, 28, Atletico Madrid - Left Sided CB or LB - Free
  • Ross Barkley, 30, Luton/Unattached - Midfield - Free
  • Juanlu Sanchez, 20, Sevilla - Right Back ~£15m
  • Andre Trindade, 22, Fluminese - Defensive Midfielder ~£25m
  • Alex Baena, 22, Villareal - Attacking Midfielder ~£40m
  • Samuel Iling-Junior, 20, Juventus - Winger ~£15m

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah but he’ll want more to move and expect it from a top club like ours…

He's out of contract so won't be getting anything on 1st July.  Unless he has loads of offers, I can't see him demanding a huge lot more than that as he would essentially be coming in as a backup option.  Even if we doubled his wage to £60,000, that's not a lot for a PL team in the CL.

17 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I see no evidence he’s given up on Tim. Not sure where this narrative has come from 

You haven't seen the fact he is used sparingly, even during an injury crisis, where players are playing out of position and he's still not getting a game?

You've missed that bit?

From what I've seen he has had rave reviews not only from Luton fans, but also from pundits and neutrals 

Apparently he has also been putting in proper shifts both attacking and defensive, picks up the ball from deep and drives forward.

So if he keeps up that work he could definitely give us a slightly different dynamic.

Would make the talk about him being " odds on " to join the other day have some credence.

If true.

3 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

so we can forget gallagher then pity

Apparently there have been discussions between us and Chelsea, no idea for who though.  To be honest, the less we help Chelsea financially the better IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Apparently there have been discussions between us and Chelsea, no idea for who though.  To be honest, the less we help Chelsea financially the better IMO.

i undersand that but gallagher has got years left barkley short term left how old 31

Ross Barkley - if:

• he played in a couple of EFL cup games to give the likes of Luiz, Youri and McGinn a rest
  • ditto FA Cup games
  • he was rotated in to play a few games against the lower PL teams to give the likes of Luiz, Youri and McGinn a rest
  • he was a bench option to try and give us control late in games across all competitions using a specific strategy devised by the genius that Unai is

....then he might start 5-8 games in the season, and be meaningfully subbed on for a similar amount.
We appear to currently have Chambers and Tim for this, and the prospect of the Donk coming back - none of which currently feels like any sort of depth.

Barkley for perhaps £2m for the season (so a pay rise against his Luton wages) sounds like a decent option to me.

But the biggest IF is whether Unai wants him. If he does - then sign him up.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Does anyone not remember we actually had barkley here....is it only me?

He was kind of not good enough when he was younger and we had less aspirations. 

He was good enough until his legs gave up on him.

If he's more willing to accept a role and understands that rotation to keep his legs fresh is necessary then I'd be happy to bring him in. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

From what I've seen he has had rave reviews not only from Luton fans, but also from pundits and neutrals 

Apparently he has also been putting in proper shifts both attacking and defensive, picks up the ball from deep and drives forward.

So if he keeps up that work he could definitely give us a slightly different dynamic.

Would make the talk about him being " odds on " to join the other day have some credence.

If true.

But with no disrespect to Luton, getting rave reviews for a team where finishing 18th and getting relegated is considered a success is a completely different level to what we are aiming for. Barkley can have 5 or 6 crap games in a row and then have a blinder in the 7th and all the talk on match of the day would be how good is Ross Barkley for doing well at plucky losers Luton. 

We’ve seen this story before with Ross Barkley, he has a lot of natural talent and every now and again people remember he is a good player… and a few months later he is a complete waste of space again. If we want to progress we need to find players who have the same natural talent as Barkley but don’t have all the issues around his terrible physical ability and his severe lack of long term consistency. 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 3

I can see Villa bringing in Wilfried Ndidi from Leicester in the summer. He's available on a free in June and he plays a position we need cover in - defensive midfield. He won't have to relocate and should settle in fairly easily with having Tielemans here. 

No idea who as I'm not a scout but IMO we need a LB, RB first teamers (unless Moreno can show some form), DM first teamer, First team winger to compete with Bailey and Diaby, GK cover - but most of all we need leaders on the pitch. We lack that when under the kosh 

all the talk of NDIDI on here, not sure if its anywhere else, but for my sins, ive had the dis-pleasure of going to around 7/8 Leicester games this season and the player who has impressed me the most by a country mile on each occasion was Harry Winks in the defensive midfield role.  Hed suit us far better than Ndidi.   He will go and take the ball in pockets off the back 4, and draw in the opposition then find a gap with a good ball forward.     Albeit Championship, hes been the best player ive seen this season in that league and, tin hat at the ready, would be a good squad option for us at what id assume would be a decent price and suit the way we play.

Just my opinion, and no basis behind it other than what i've seen

Ive personally never seen the reasons behind his reputation , i've always thought he was a good player

57 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

i undersand that but gallagher has got years left barkley short term left how old 31

Barkley is 30 years old and turns 31 in December. 

Or, if you're an Arsenal fan, he's 32. 

Until i see names other than gallagher and barkley ill be taking a small break 😒 sure we didnt qualify for conference again and not champions league 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Until i see names other than gallagher and barkley ill be taking a small break 😒 sure we didnt qualify for conference again and not champions league 

Not a fan of Rogers then. Moreno not your cup of tea? 

Not every signing has to be £75m and end with "inho". 

Â