Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

I think we won’t actually go out of our way to sign an outright CDM. 

No doubt people will be unhappy, but I have a feeling Unai will target a ball playing CM who can be defensive at times over a defensive CDM. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Palhinha? Sangare?

I think a CDM with experience of the league might be a good shout.

Pal and Dougie's race to 20 yellows in a single season.

We've seen how effective Declan Rice has been for Arsenal defence, we also seen how bad West Ham have been defensively without him 
We've see how Rodri is like 70 PL games unbeaten, Man City cant be beaten when he plays.

If only we could find a player like these two. Kamara cant be relied upon to stay fit. Hope we in the market for a DM.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

We've seen how effective Declan Rice has been for Arsenal defence, we also seen how bad West Ham have been defensively without him 
We've see how Rodri is like 70 PL games unbeaten, Man City cant be beaten when he plays.

If only we could find a player like these two. Kamara cant be relied upon to stay fit. Hope we in the market for a DM.

If only indeed! Any of the world's best players will do, any position.

Kamara is a better holding player than Rice anyway :)

Mats Wieffer is being shopped around, would be great. Pretty annoying to see Spurs linked. Their market record has been so so good recently. Luckily big flange has decided they don't have to defend.

My shopping list is short:

Defensive midfield: #1 priority. Kamara won't be back until at least November, probably January, and we miss him. I don't think Doug will be back to full form until we have a proper DM with him again. Unai doesn't think Tim is ready. The only question is, buy 1 or buy 2?

Right back: We need a true RB as cover for or to move ahead of Cash. The question is whether Nedjelkovic will be ready (he's only 18, plus hurt his knee this year). If so, this isn't as high a priority, but Unai seems to be cautious in bringing youth up, so we could use someone for 2-3 years until he is ready.

Backup striker: We're screwed if Ollie gets hurt. Duran is still raw, and Bailey and Diaby are not true strikers.

Sure, we have other positions where we could upgrade, but it would have to be a true world class player. I see no point in buying just to buy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomC said:

Backup striker: We're screwed if Ollie gets hurt. Duran is still raw, and Bailey and Diaby are not true strikers

I think Morgan would be more the back up striker than either Bailey and Diaby. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think we need another Central Midfielder, defensive minded. Either on loan or Permanent

We definitely need a new centre of midfield - most pressing area for me - we need two quality additions on there. Then anything else is a bonus but I’d expect the majority of our budget to go on sorting that out.

I guess our incomings then will be reliant on sales as we cannot stockpile players. A new right back would be nice but we have Konsa, KHH, Cash & Kosta.

What we need are players with big game mentality experienced in high pressure games who don’t go missing, mixed with youth prospects. 

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

All of our Midfielders are attack minded. McGinn, Bailey, Rogers, Ramsey, Diaby, Luiz, Tielemans, Zaniolo. 

Kamara is the only player that has no real desire to push on and prefers shielding the back 4. Tielemans is decent at it too I suppose. 

Point being, I read an article saying we’re after attacking players in the Summer. Honestly not sure why, I’d be looking at full backs and defensive midfielders first and foremost. 

Exactly, we score lots and it is where we have the most options.

In the transfer market you should be utilising opportunities on who wants your players at good values and who is available for a low value for their talent, great but come on you do your dealings primarily where you can get the most benefit and that is central midfield and the defence as a whole just like you said.

On 05/05/2024 at 10:58, Leeroy said:

Based on players we've been linked with so far, I'd be happy with the following:

• Hermoso (Atletico Madrid) - free
  • Fofana (Monaco) - £25-30m
  • Baena (Villareal) - £35m
  • Frimpong/Dumfries (Leverkusen/Inter) - £30-40m
  • A young centre back (astutely scouted) to replace Carlos if we sell him

That would set us back over £100m, so I imagine we may need to sell someone even if we make top 4. Baena is an inverted left sided player so my bet is that it could be Ramsey, but obviously I hope not. Possibly we won't sell anyone key if we can decent prices for Cash, Digne/Moreno and Carlos (perhaps £40-50m all in) and get some money for Donk, Coutinho, Hause, Sanson and Chambers (perhaps £20m). Not holding my breath though.

We could then line up as follows next season which is a very good side with lots of options to rotate the side (Mings, Buendia, Rogers/Ramsey, Tielemans, Kamara, Diaby etc):

Martinez

Frimpong/Dumfries Konsa Pau Hermoso

Fofana Luiz 

Bailey McGinn Baena

Watkins

I hope not too, but given his injury-hit season, I doubt that many clubs would pay the sort of money that we would be wanting for him, until he has proven that he can play a long run of games again, without having another spell on the treatment table. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, picicata said:

I think Morgan would be more the back up striker than either Bailey and Diaby. 

If and it is a big IF, Zaniolo was to stay he could potentially play up there too...

When he signed Emery said he (Zaniolo) plays anywhere across the front three.

12 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think we won’t actually go out of our way to sign an outright CDM. 

No doubt people will be unhappy, but I have a feeling Unai will target a ball playing CM who can be defensive at times over a defensive CDM. 

me too, I think we'll look for a different type of midfielder who can compliment kamara and doug in a 3 rather than play with 2 outright DMCs or be him or kamara, i cant see us signing a £30-50m DMC who keeps kamara on the bench

someone half way between the 6 and the 8, football being football that's obviously a 6.5

20 minutes ago, John said:

I hope not too, but given his injury-hit season, I doubt that many clubs would pay the sort of money that we would be wanting for him, until he has proven that he can play a long run of games again, without having another spell on the treatment table. 

I don’t know what will happen, it seems to be if we have to sell one key player based on the rumours in the press it’s either Ramsey or Dougie.

As much as Dougie has been poor recently, and as much as Jacob is one of our own, if we had to sacrifice one I have to choose Ramsey. I think Dougie is more important to us, but I obviously hope we keep both. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

We miss Ramsey, and his pace, more than we miss Luiz when they are not playing.

We were in title contending form first half of the season without Ramsey and Luiz was probably our most important player to achieving that. We are in the top 4 this season despite Ramsey playing very little due to injuries. Luiz has been poo in the last couple of months but that doesn’t take away how important he is to this team when he’s on form which he has been the majority of the time in the last 18 months.

I don’t think fans will agree on this though so it will come down to opinion. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

me too, I think we'll look for a different type of midfielder who can compliment kamara and doug in a 3 rather than play with 2 outright DMCs or be him or kamara, i cant see us signing a £30-50m DMC who keeps kamara on the bench

someone half way between the 6 and the 8, football being football that's obviously a 6.5

Why not - why so Kamara guranteed to be started upon his return from injury ? Kamara is a great player who cost us zero so no amortisation so if he gets usurped and doesn’t wanna fight for the shirt we sell him for big money and reinvest. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We were in title contending form first half of the season without Ramsey and Luiz was probably our most important player to achieving that. We are in the top 4 this season despite Ramsey playing very little due to injuries. Luiz has been poo in the last couple of months but that doesn’t take away how important he is to this team when he’s on form which he has been the majority of the time in the last 18 months.

I don’t think fans will agree on this though so it will come down to opinion. 

Totally understand he’s important but the two games he was out Tielemans and SJM played together better and he wasn’t missed. In fact the two games he’s back we’ve lost. I just believe if we’re going to sell anyone it should Dougie as he’s replaceable which most won’t like hearing. 
suicide selling Ramsay atm and having Dougie money to buy say Fofana and Dumfries is a no brained. 

again everyone’s opinion will differ.

Sangare is a good shout if Forest get relegated, he was outstanding for PSV and hasn't lived up to expectations at Forest, but on a good deal I think would be solid starter/backup to Kamara. 

17 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Sangare is a good shout if Forest get relegated, he was outstanding for PSV and hasn't lived up to expectations at Forest, but on a good deal I think would be solid starter/backup to Kamara. 

One of my tips before he even went to PSV.

its a bit worrying now he has come to the PL he hasn’t shown more, if the price was good it should be an option but a better passer under Emery should be sought 

Â