Eurovision 2024

Jareth

Posted (edited)

Imagine living in a country where pensioners  are now to be threatened  with  prosecution for not paying their TV Licence fee......

Then subjecting them to this excrement.....

Makes you glad to be alive.

Edited by Dillon66

Apparently Israel got 12 points from the Swedish people and 0 from the jury? Silver lining with this is that for every vote a percentage of money goes to Radiohjälpen, a aid organisation that sends money to Palestine among other places. 

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Like I'd imagine if you polled the UK a majority would be in support of Israel tbh. Protestors are loud but there's always the silent majority. So I'm not surprised by the votes Israel got. 

It’s not only that but also the Boaty McBoatface vote.  When I was 18 and if I was going to vote, then I’d have voted Israel just for a laugh even if I didn’t know anything about what is going on in the Middle East.

This is what we do in the UK, it’s our personality. 

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It’s not only that but also the Boaty McBoatface vote.  When I was 18 and if I was going to vote, then I’d have voted Israel just for a laugh even if I didn’t know anything about what is going on in the Middle East.

Israel were 2nd favourites after Croatia. So it's not surprising both topped the votes. I think viewer voting is the single thing that ruined Eurovision and changed it completely from a song contest to a type of reality TV show

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Israel were 2nd favourites after Croatia. So it's not surprising both topped the votes. I think viewer voting is the single thing that ruined Eurovision and changed it completely from a song contest to a type of reality TV show

Ruined Eurovision? It's always been **** shite!

• Like 2

I think at some point we need to have a discussion why we allow non-European countries into European competitions. Not just applying to Eurovision.

The likes of Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Israel are not geographically European. Especially in the case of Azerbaijan it’s just absurd.

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I think at some point we need to have a discussion why we allow non-European countries into European competitions. Not just applying to Eurovision.

The likes of Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Israel are not geographically European. Especially in the case of Azerbaijan it’s just absurd.

They should be allowed but have to enter at non-league level and work their way up the pyramid.

200.gif.cb35485974bbe174712b887baa396b3f.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Israel won the popular vote in 15 countries , you could dismiss the U.K. being one of the 15 as “it’s what we do” but I don’t think it really holds much water in this instance 

Maybe it was a right wing conspiracy on Twitter as some claim  , maybe it was the McBoatface vote , maybe the public on the whole felt sympathy for a woman being abused for nothing more than where she was born  … or  maybe  it was simply just  the best of a bad bunch of songs in a lot of people’s opinion 

54 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Eurovision isn't a European competition, its organised by the European Broadcasting Union, which also has non European members. 

That was news to me as well yesterday :) 

Being pro Israel meant you had 1 country to vote for. Being against meant choosing 1 of 25 others so it’s not surprising they came out top in countries like the UK or Germany where it’s insanely polarising. 

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

geographically European

Europe is a political construct not a continent no matter what the geography books tell you. It’s the same continent as China, Eurasia

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Eurovision isn't a European competition, its organised by the European Broadcasting Union, which also has non European members. 

That was news to me as well yesterday :) 

Morocco competed in 1980. Lebanon entered in 2005 but had to withdraw when they were told that they had to broadcast the whole contest and couldn't edit out the Israeli entry. 

There's nothing stopping them, Egypt, Libya, Jordan and a bunch of others entering if they want to.

16 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Wait till you find out Australia is also in it 😅

• Haha 1

I've not watched Eurovision for years because it's shite but from the snippets I've seen it's just become a parody of itself. 

19 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Israel won the popular vote in 15 countries , you could dismiss the U.K. being one of the 15 as “it’s what we do” but I don’t think it really holds much water in this instance 

Maybe it was a right wing conspiracy on Twitter as some claim  , maybe it was the McBoatface vote , maybe the public on the whole felt sympathy for a woman being abused for nothing more than where she was born  … or  maybe  it was simply just  the best of a bad bunch of songs in a lot of people’s opinion 

Or a mix of all of those most likely 

Â